Charms for completing the dex

aftershocker

Question

In gen 5 the Oval charm and Shiny charm were introduced as a reward for completing the regional and national dex respectively. My suggestion would be to award those charms for completing the "owned" and "caught OT" section of the pokedex.

For those unaware of what these charms do:

Oval charm- raises chance of getting an egg (helpful in this breed heavy game)  a6UUwUR.png

shiny charm- raises chance of finding a shiny ( I would say something along the lines of +5% chance of finding a shiny)  Dkq8ANR.png

Seemed a bit odd that they implemented these sections into the pokedex without there being some kind of reward to it, after seeing some suggestions with a similar idea (shout out to bestfriends) I'd say this is the most canon way to go. 

12 answers to this question

Well both of those effects are included in donators. Also the dex in gen 5+ is almost 2x as big as ours making it much more of a feat.  Id say maybe a bp bonus like 10k would be legit but a permenent shiny buff is simply too OP

Just now, Xatu said:

Well both of those effects are included in donators. Also the dex in gen 5+ is almost 2x as big as ours making it much more of a feat.  Id say maybe a bp bonus like 10k would be legit but a permenent shiny buff is simply too OP

fair point, 10k bp is nothing tho lol. anyone can easily grind that in matchmaking in a day. We all know donating isn't guaranteed but having a nerfed version of it as a reward for "catching 'em all" sounds good on paper. In gen5+ they didn't require you to be your OT, you could easily transfer pokemon over, while in MMO we have to deal with chansey, lapras and other rare pokemon to deal with.

In all honesty those rewards would be nothing because you can't catch the Johto Starters, can't get Milotic, and also can't get Latios and Latias (which I have seen in BF). We need to a way to actually complete the dex unless the admins would be willing to make it so those pokemon don't count.

Now, for a prize for completing the dex I would like to see one of the Johto starters be handed out to people that complete it in the fashion spoken of above

3 hours ago, aftershocker said:

In gen 5 the Oval charm and Shiny charm were introduced as a reward for completing the regional and national dex respectively. My suggestion would be to award those charms for completing the "owned" and "caught OT" section of the pokedex.

For those unaware of what these charms do:

Oval charm- raises chance of getting an egg (helpful in this breed heavy game)  a6UUwUR.png

shiny charm- raises chance of finding a shiny ( I would say something along the lines of +5% chance of finding a shiny)  Dkq8ANR.png

Seemed a bit odd that they implemented these sections into the pokedex without there being some kind of reward to it, after seeing some suggestions with a similar idea (shout out to bestfriends) I'd say this is the most canon way to go. 

I purposed something similar as yours, and RacheLucario has enlightened me on the side effects of such a feature. (Thanks for the shout out btw)

Edited by Bestfriends
1 hour ago, Argorok2017 said:

In all honesty those rewards would be nothing because you can't catch the Johto Starters, can't get Milotic, and also can't get Latios and Latias (which I have seen in BF). We need to a way to actually complete the dex unless the admins would be willing to make it so those pokemon don't count.

Now, for a prize for completing the dex I would like to see one of the Johto starters be handed out to people that complete it in the fashion spoken of above

Unobtainable species already don't contribute to caught/OT totals. This includes Pokemon you can see but not catch, including Feebas in the OT dex for players that don't already have one with their OT.

Just now, Argorok2017 said:

I still like the idea of getting a Johto starter or getting 1 of each of them to have. Would be nice to get Johto starters into the game as well

I feel as if the starters should be implemented in a away that allows them to be caught. Maybe open up a unique area upon completing the dex? My reasoning is that if you get it as gift you might not be able to breed it or trade it. 

1 minute ago, aftershocker said:

I feel as if the starters should be implemented in a away that allows them to be caught. Maybe open up a unique area upon completing the dex? My reasoning is that if you get it as gift you might not be able to breed it or trade it. 

Didn't think about that, but couldn't the devs just make it so it isn't a gift? I mean they can just code it lol. I feel if an area is opened to catch them then the market is going to be flooded with these Johto starters because not everyone has full pokedex

Just now, Argorok2017 said:

Didn't think about that, but couldn't the devs just make it so it isn't a gift? I mean they can just code it lol. I feel if an area is opened to catch them then the market is going to be flooded with these Johto starters because not everyone has full pokedex

Ye, the only problem would be that you are limited to only getting one of each starter. Other pokemon like sudowoodo,eevee and lapras are all obtainable in the wild. Making it so you only get 1 seems like a step back to the direction they are heading

1 minute ago, aftershocker said:

Ye, the only problem would be that you are limited to only getting one of each starter. Other pokemon like sudowoodo,eevee and lapras are all obtainable in the wild. Making it so you only get 1 seems like a step back to the direction they are heading

I mean they could always make it so an npc gives you all 3, like picture an area of map where you see the 3 pokeballs like you would in Pallet Town, except you can grab all 3 and they aren't gift pokemon

I feel like something this functionally useful and unique, having no alternative for use, would simply turn the OT pokedex completion into a necessity and a grind in order to play efficiently, although the charm idea is one of the better ideas I've seen.

Depending on how small a bonus they give it could be balanced, although I doubt the shiny charm would ever make it into the game.