matchmaking changes

new features im suggesting are

a quit button for when you have to go. it's unfair to make your opponent wait for the timer because you have to leave.

if your opponent DC's it should count as a win. this is unfair to people who have bad internet/pc's. however it is abused and if your opponent chooses to be a sore loser then your rankings are hurt. 

afk timer should double and clicking it should count as a win. making your move sometimes takes a while especially if you are being whispered or have irl stuff going on. if your opponent is losing and rather take the win/draw and you have a crying baby then the rankings wont be accurate. this balances it a bit more since no refs to whisper the players and no penalty's. (this is for matchmaking only, all other afk time's should stay the same)

speed up the wait time. iirc it automatically gives you a battle with someone in your "weight class" and if no one is in you class it waits then slowly moves outside your "weight class". this should happen quicker. 50 people waiting for a match doesn't make sense. yes you want people to fight others around their skill lvl but this game runs 24/7 in every time zone and this waiting will only get worse as the hype wears off. (the hype has died down a bit so it's more like 6 people in matchmaking and all of them vastly different elo's)

"hall of fame" add a tab listing everyone whos been #1 and the amount of time they have been #1. with the elo ratings someone with 100 wins and 80 losses can be placed higher then someone with 20 wins 5 losses if they fight long enough. even if the second player beats the first, the only way he can stay on top all the time is by playing as often as the other guy. hall of fame rewards players who have great skill and "top single battle" rewards those who play 24/7.

passive reffing. this is something that will be needed when pvp currency comes out. basically your opponent abuses a glitch, uses a banned move, or whatever. and you click a button. the game is placed on hold until a ref shows up to figure out what happen and DQ someone if necessary. the game is in alpha and thee is ALWAYS something broken so this will be needed when money is on the line.

ranked challenges. either through clicking on the person>challenge>single> *RANKED* or through matchmaking.

view queue. as matchmaking needs minimum 5 people to work. players should be able to check to see who's in the queue. if no ones on your wasting your time or if a certain player you want to fight is on you know to get in the queue. this is a way to implement the above suggestion.

the berry thing below is no longer needed. 

matchmaking will be the new meta IF people are constantly using it. implementing these features will make it more player friendly and less infuriating. right now all that's at stake in matchmaking is a rating that will be wiped but this is temporary. please fix this before pvp currency is in and before the wipe.

edited.

I'd also like to add here that the matchmaking should avoid you having to battle against someone you just played, possibly maybe like 30 mins or something. The players most likely have (at least almost) identical teams with them and it just leads into unrealistic, boring plays since you have the exact idea what Pokemon and moves the other one is having.

a quit button when you can just exit the client?

situation #1 your pc sucks horrible and it takes 10 minutes to log in to pokemmo.

situation #2 you need to talk to someone in game about something important and dont want to log off.

situation #3 "the server is full and you have been queued. there are 1000+ people ahead of you." 

situation #4 you need to go meet someone and it is time sensitive.

situation #5 you need to go immediately and do something irl but are expecting a whisper. 

ect........

situation #1 your pc sucks horrible and it takes 10 minutes to log in to pokemmo.

situation #2 you need to talk to someone in game about something important and dont want to log off.

situation #3 "the server is full and you have been queued. there are 1000+ people ahead of you." 

situation #4 you need to go meet someone and it is time sensitive.

situation #5 you need to go immediately and do something irl but are expecting a whisper. 

ect........

ah good i thought you were thinking about letting it lose less "elo" (or however you wanna call it in the ranking) if they would press that quit button since that would just be easily abusable

also berrys and other one time items should not be used up in matchmaking. they currently cost quite a bit and you should have to be rich enough to afford it to play.

i disaproov this totally , how can you not pvp and use berries , some pokes depends of beries to even do something -1 for this idea , i like the rest tho nice work +1 for this

i disaproov this totally , how can you not pvp and use berries , some pokes depends of beries to even do something -1 for this idea , i like the rest tho nice work +1 for this

im saying use the berrys but dont loose then from your inventory. in the handhelds you could use a item in player vs player and still have it after the fight. im suggesting the same only for matchmaking as you have to fight often to get a good rank meaning you need lots of money for berrys to get a good rank. poor people should have a chance at being #1 too.

im saying use the berrys but dont loose then from your inventory. in the handhelds you could use a item in player vs player and still have it after the fight. im suggesting the same only for matchmaking as you have to fight often to get a good rank meaning you need lots of money for berrys to get a good rank. poor people should have a chance at being #1 too.

o my bad , didnt understand it that way , its a good idea +25

afk timer: id take this idea from dota2 pick hero phase:

-both team have like 2min for each pick, if they exceed that time, then the reserve time start runing (3m i think), when  reserve time is gone, a hero is choiced randomly.

In pokemmo should be like this:

both player have 40s to move, if they exceed, then reserve time (4min sounds good) start runing, so every time that the player take 1min from the reserve, his time to move is reduced to 30s.

afk timer: id take this idea from dota2 pick hero phase:

-both team have like 2min for each pick, if they exceed that time, then the reserve time start runing (3m i think), when  reserve time is gone, a hero is choiced randomly.

In pokemmo should be like this:

both player have 40s to move, if they exceed, then reserve time (4min sounds good) start runing, so every time that the player take 1min from the reserve, his time to move is reduced to 30s.

that or anything remotely similar works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

this is stolen from showdown but in matchmaking you should be able to press a "call for help" button when your opponent breaks a rule (EX: using a glitched moved or banned pokemon/move). your match would be put on hold and a ref (cm if more staff gets hired or possible a high ranked player/s could act as ref/s) would look at what happened and make a decision if anyone needs to be DQ'd or whatever. many bugs that normally get you banned for abusing go rampant in matchmaking as their is no system in place to stop it. the auto clauses aren't enough and this greatly discourages players from using matchmaking when their opponent can "cheat" and get away with it. this will be a even bigger problem when pvp currency is implemented and rankings matter. 

and another thing.......

being able to challenge someone to a ranked match would be nice. either in game duel>single/double>ranked or through the pc you use to check rankings. it would cut down a lot of wait time and would be useful if like 2 people are online. ofc this could be abused with alts so either a max number of challenges per day or a quota of how much elo you can get from one person would be needed.

I think it would be nice to have an Elo system that allows players of all ranks to battle one another with varying rewards. AFAIK this would be similar to the approach that showdown uses: sometimes a good player is matched with a bad player. If the better ranked player wins, they get a maginal Elo increase. If the bad player wins they get a large Elo increase while the person they beat only drops a few points. This is due to the math of the Elo system, available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

I think it would be nice to have an Elo system that allows players of all ranks to battle one another with varying rewards. AFAIK this would be similar to the approach that showdown uses: sometimes a good player is matched with a bad player. If the better ranked player wins, they get a maginal Elo increase. If the bad player wins they get a large Elo increase while the person they beat only drops a few points. This is due to the math of the Elo system, available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

From the changelog:

• Leaderboards track:
    • Wins
    • Losses
    • Win%
    • ELO Rating
  • Leaderboard Rankings are decided based on ELO Rating. Only the Top 100 players will be displayed.

From the changelog:

• Leaderboards track:
    • Wins
    • Losses
    • Win%
    • ELO Rating
  • Leaderboard Rankings are decided based on ELO Rating. Only the Top 100 players will be displayed.

I'm saying that the way matches are paired should be changed to allow players of different skill levels to battle each other for ELO rewards proportional to their current skill levels.. I know that the leaderboards track ELO but I'm suggesting how to alter it to prevent spending a ton of time waiting for matches against similarly ranked people

speed up the wait time. iirc it automatically gives you a battle with someone in your "weight class" and if no one is in you class it waits then slowly moves outside your "weight class". this should happen quicker. 50 people waiting for a match doesn't make sense. yes you want people to fight others around their skill lvl but this game runs 24/7 in every time zone and this waiting will only get worse as the hype wears off.

This needs to be removed completely. Due to the fact that DC's count as a loss, this system isnt a real testament to anyone's skill, I have 11 loses, 8 of them due to loss of connection and now Ive been sitting in queue for 10 minutes if not longer because apparently I cant hang w/ everyone on that list? In the spirit of competition, I like playing people I think are better than me and any other real competitor would feel the same way. So that being said, why would anyone going into matchmaking care who they are battling or what the skill difference between the two are? Throwing yourself in the fire is the best way to learn and the current system doesnt allow for that experience. 

• 2 years later...