[Denied] Baton Pass Clause

I suggested the idea while back in the Baton Pass thread but since this really isn't a discussion regarding Baton Pass as a move I thought this could belong to Suggestion Box.

What I'm basically suggesting is that instead of a being banned to the extent that you cannot start a tournament mode duel with having a Pokemon with Baton Pass it should be a clause just like everything else (Evasion, Sleep, OP Item etc). The Baton Pass clause could be by default suggested to be on when selecting tournament mode and if officials still wanna enforce this rule, it's fine. Not commenting about that. But if just 2 players wanna battle each other with having Baton Pass allowed (and tournament mode is obviously the best for battling), they should definitely be allowed to do that.

Pros

- Allow to people to use a move if they want to (but at the same time having it as a clause by default to make people understand the Baton Pass clause is generally forced in this game)

Cons

- Give people false hope to people who don't think Baton Pass is uncompetitive

If you wanna have something to say about Baton Pass' uncompetitiveness itself or what do you think is competitive or not - that's a place for a different discussion.

So yeah, discuss.

Edited by OrangeManiac

I'm all for this. Baton pass can be a fun element to incorporate into any tier, but as I understand it now, you can't use it at all in tournament mode (including Ubers, unless that was fixed). I'll bet a lot of people still have comps lying around w/BP on them

Even if they fixed it to where BP was unbanned in Ubers, some people might wanna have a fun UU match with baton pass allowed. This clause would allow baton pass in any tier if the players wanted, so in that regard I think it's a good thing.

Then again, >extra work for staff. We're talking about devs who won't even implement a bug fix that they've already finished (rain dance). So I think this is unrealistic.

Edited by sloppyj24

Im agree. im a NU player, and too many of the pokes in the tier cant do much without baton pass, receiving or giving buff. i play many times only for fun, and when i want to use the old team with my baton passer, im limited for a ban. i cant try in normal mode because the level of my pokes isnt exactly 50.

So, this clause would give us a little of freedom in unofficial duels.

As differing as most opinions vary in terms of Baton Pass in a competitive manner and there are people whining about the bans support or oppose, personally this will lead to more competitive riots. I'm going to be mildly offensive here and compare BP to a drug -- feels good when you use it when it is in fact nothing be a cancerous, delusional tool for competitive victories. (Well, here at least) 

So basically toggle on-off for meth abuse. I suppose you could spare the false hope, but I personally don't really give, well, a damn. 

Edited by YagamiNoir4896

its not like it would be a standard clause, freeze clause is there for when both people agree to it, even though its not a standard clause, baton pass would still be banned in most cases

Oh, I understood it wrong. I guess 4:30 am isn't the best time for me to think about it...
Either way if someone would want to play with BPass, there's normal mode for him. Unfortunately I can't see for myself if BP is banned from it as well but I'm pretty sure it isn't

I have no idea why this is even a discussion, it's pretty damn obvious that there should be a Baton Pass clause, if only so that it can be used in Doubles/Ubers.

I also have no idea why there are attempts to argue this, it's just a toggle m8, Baton Pass would still be banned normally. It's not like allowing people to turn off Sleep Clause suddenly undermines the existence of Sleep Clause to begin with, and it's almost as if we're forgetting there were times when these things weren't automatically enforced.

I have no idea why this is even a discussion, it's pretty damn obvious that there should be a Baton Pass clause, if only so that it can be used in Doubles/Ubers.

I also have no idea why there are attempts to argue this, it's just a toggle m8, Baton Pass would still be banned normally. It's not like allowing people to turn off Sleep Clause suddenly undermines the existence of Sleep Clause to begin with, and it's almost as if we're forgetting there were times when these things weren't automatically enforced.

Senile for the first time since I've been here I agree with u, I don't see what's the problem with that, it will be allowed as long as you want to, it's as easy as the press of a button

I first thought I'm getting trolled people talking about how cancer even 1 BPasser is in this thread although emphasizing here that not talking about BP's uncompetetiveness. Then I remembered Showdown calls 1 BPasser / team as a "Baton Pass clause", so I guess that was the reason for confusion. So yeah, to anyone reading this convo and "making opinions".. For the love of derailing this anymore just read the OP haha.

What Senile said is huge, especially for Doubles Baton Pass is a niche moce at best afaik (I might be wrong) but not if it's not claimed uncompetetive there, having it unbanned from tournament mode is and turned to a clause is just conventional.

At Forfie, Normal mode doesn't level scale Pokemon down so it already makes Normal mode quite unplayable for all PvP.

Edited by OrangeManiac

I don't agree with this thread because I already removed baton pass on my godly eevees and doing this will only make me spend months getting the same godlies with bp and yeah. #ocd

Was hoping to get a +6atk curse then bp to eevee to quick attack sweeeep hehehe. Anyway, yeah

Edited by Feari

I don't agree with this thread because I already removed baton pass on my godly eevees and doing this will only make me spend months getting the same godlies with bp and yeah. #ocd

Was hoping to get a +6atk curse then bp to eevee to quick attack sweeeep hehehe. Anyway, yeah

Baton Pass would still be banned most likely from majority of official (standard) tournaments, therefor the non-BP Eeveelutions would still see the most usage by a mile.

• 1 year later...