[Art] [Writing] [Contest] A Legendary Contest

Uroko

Ok here's the deal. I don't think It'd be fair for me to go back and start cutting parts of this now, as that's basically editting my story past the deadline. So, even though its OVER 4000 WORDS LONG, I'm gonna leave the length as is, and let the judges deduct points for going over the deadline if they want.

Hope you like it : )

Cave

wc: 4,626

[spoiler]

It wasn’t even raining. Not a single drop fell on those who had gathered beside the majestic, fully grown oak tree. In fact, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Brilliant sunlight assaulted the landscape, sharpening each and every detail of the beautiful countryside where the funeral was being held. And yet, despite the immense amount of despair in the hearts of those in attendance, there was no rain.

It should be raining.

Then again, thought Alex, that would be fair, wouldn’t it? When had anything ever been fair? Ever since Kaitlyn had been diagnosed, his world had turned upside down. It was like a boxing match, only the ref would never ring the bell, no matter how badly he got the shit kicked out of him. They gave her 6 months, she made it 4. And oh, how he cherished those 4 months.

You see, time works differently when you truly understand how little of it you have. Alex understood. During Kaitlyn’s last weeks, he would force himself to stay awake during long nights at the hospital, refusing to relinquish any of his precious time with her. But no matter how hard you try to slow it down, time just keeps churning onwards, oblivious to the damage it leaves in its wake.

Maybe I can still find some good in this.

The thought occurred to him against the backdrop of the should-have-been-rainy day. Defiantly, chirping birds accompanied the sound of the priest’s final prayer. Approaching the coffin, Alex bent down to grab a handful of dirt. He was an optimist at heart, no matter how hard pessimism tried to win out over the last few months. In need of something to keep him moving forward, he was determined to find it buried somewhere in this gloomy procession.

*SLAP*

Alex winced as an enormous open hand slammed down square in the middle of his shoulders.

“How you doin, old chap? Holding up ok? A million condolences for this tragic loss, you know. From everyone down at the lab.”

Bruno, a small, polite Englishmen occupying the body of a UFC fighter, didn’t seem to notice the force he applied with the back-slap, causing him to mistake Alex’s tears for an answer.

“Alex, hey, come here man,” urged Bruno, pulling him in for a hug. With the agility of, well, a UFC fighter, Alex evaded the grasp.

“Bruno, Bruno, I’m ok. Just caught me off guard, that’s all. It’s..it’s good to see you again, man. How are things with the…”

Alex’s voice trailed off as Bruno visibly rattled through his brain’s storage files at the speed of cold honey. True, he sometimes appeared a little slow, but his work with Pokeball technology snapped the market out of a serious case of writer’s block in the early 2000’s. He was a legend in the Poketech community.  But what he was working on now, well, it was something no one had ever done.

“The Auragraph?!” exclaimed a visibly excited Bruno, who likely was not a very good poker player. “Hey…let’s head back to the lab. I’ll show you our latest progress?”  

Alex turned and scanned the room. They were at the spacious reception hall now, and he hadn’t quite made his rounds like he was expected to. But as much as he wanted to hop back on the carousel of feigned pity and empty condolences, he decided to skip out a little early. Kaitlyn would understand, right? After all, she’s the one who spearheaded this project. He set down his glass of water, and followed Bruno outside.

“The Auragraph,” shouted Bruno over the descending helicopter. “We’ve made some serious strides since you and Kaitlyn left 4 months ago.”

Bruno climbed into the now idle masterpiece of modern engineering and extended a hand to Alex. Taking a deep breath, Alex grasped his hand and followed. He’d followed Bruno on countless occasions in the past, never really knowing what he was getting himself into. But maybe this is exactly what he needed. Something to take his mind off her.

The chopper whisked the two away from the quaint Celadonian village, rising high above the trees and turning northeast. They’d be traveling to the headquarters in Cerulean, where both of them had worked for over 15 years. King Labs, named after founder and CEO Jeff King, a man whose compassion was matched only by his tireless work ethic. He was a visionary, a free spirit, and most of all, he was Kaitlyn’s father. He was like a father to Alex, too. Like Kaitlyn, he fell to a rare form of brain cancer well before his time was supposed to be up. But the facility in Cerulean was a fitting tribute to his greatness, and the impact he made on each and every person that he came into contact with.

6 stories tall with 12 underground stories to boot, King Labs was an imposing presence on the small city by the river. Bruno flashed his badge as the two made their way past the security entrance, Alex struggling to keep up with Bruno’s determined pace. He finally caught up with him outside the elevators.

*Ding*

Alex hadn’t been back to this place in 4 long months, and yet it felt like he was just here yesterday. Feeling back in his old groove, he strolled into the open elevator, instinctively hitting the S5 button and turning towards the mirrored walls. Staring into the infinite line of Alex’s, his mind began to drift.

The multiverse is a strange place, right? I mean, somewhere out there, in another universe, maybe I’m happy. Because she’s still there.

*SLAP*

“You still with me, buddy?”

The colossal hand snapped Alex back to reality. “Hah, yeah. Hope you guys didn’t dirty the place up too much.”

*Ding* S Five.

They hadn’t. The receding elevator doors revealed a familiar sight – a beehive of finely coordinated activity taking place amongst a marketplace of high tech equipment and machinery. White walls and white floors accentuated the large operating floor of the Bruno-led research squadron. Roughly 15 workers – some renowned scientists, others mere grad students – worked busily at a series of stations littered throughout the underground floor. To his left, two men in white coats stood around a levitating Weezing, grinning a big smile despite the censors attached to its body.

Bruno motioned towards the projection screen beside the Weezing, which showed in large green type the number 202, right next to a : ).

“Look, we’ve honed in on the ability to measure the aura of individual Pokemon down to an exact number,” explained Bruno. “But Kaitlyn wasn’t satisfied, remember? She talked about measuring the aura of entire ecosystems, diagnosing possible issues of cohabitation and co-existence before they became a problem.”

“Well, yeah,” retorted Alex, “but we kept running into problems with interference from Cerulean cave.”

“Yeah…about that.” Bruno directed him deeper into the lab, past a group of scientists observing webcam footage of two young Cleffa frolicking in a nearby enclosure. Numbers lit up the screens in front of the young men and women, but Alex couldn’t quite make them out before he was urged into a small room by Bruno.

Shutting the door and hitting the lights, Bruno grabbed a small device and pressed a button, instantly bringing to life the far wall of the high ceilinged room. Coming into focus was an aerial view of Cerulean Cave.

“For months, we thought the ‘interference’ from the cave was messing with our devices. Every time we conducted a reading, we’d see massive spikes in happiness and sadness like nothing our individual monitors could ever fathom. Surely, this had something to do with the magnetic stone that makes up the bedrock of the cave, right?”

“Right,” nodded Alex, though he had a feeling, based on Bruno’s excitement earlier, that they’d had a breakthrough.

“Wrong. We had a breakthrough!”

Alex grinned. Bruno hadn’t changed a bit.

“I asked myself a question one day. I said, ‘Bruno, how do we know it’s interference? How do we know it’s not just, extremely negative and positive aura readings?’”

“And what was Bruno’s response to Bruno’s question,” teased Alex.

Bruno chuckled. “He said, ‘you’re crazy.’”

All of a sudden, Bruno’s voice got serious. “But he wasn’t crazy, Alex. Our machines were never off. There’s something in that cave. And it’s got one hell of a bipolar disorder.”

Alex’s gaze turned towards the aerial view of the cave. He could only imagine what Kaitlyn’s reaction would be if she knew that right there, in that cave, there was a Pokemon suffering so badly. A Pokemon that had been there as long as we had, right next door.

“Needless to say, this is quite an astonishing breakthrough. Within the month, we’ll have equipment up and running to travel into the cav-

“No. I have to go in there. Tomorrow, Bruno.”

“Alex, you can’t…” started Bruno, but Alex was already shuffling out the door. “Sigh…shoulda seen that coming.” Bruno reached into a drawer, pulling out a strange, black handheld device that was blinking green on one end, then followed after Alex.

“Al! Wait up,” panted Bruno, struggling to catch the determined man near the elevators. Glancing downwards, Bruno saw that Alex had 5 pokeballs fastened to his waist. “Al, why not a full party?”

“There’s gonna be one more joining me once I get inside that cave,” said Alex.

*DING*

Bruno froze as Alex moved past the sliding doors. “Whoah, whoah, you’re gonna try to catch that thing?!”

“Meet me an hour before dusk tomorrow morning outside the entrance. We’ll set up the feed, and I can relay you information from the inside. Bruno…”

Holding up his hand, Bruno responded. “I know, Alex. It’s what she would have wanted. Get some sleep, buddy.”

“I will,” lied Alex as the doors closed.

He didn’t sleep. To be fair, though, he never intended to. In fact, rather than stay in the lavish Cerulean Suite that Bruno reserved for him, Alex spent his night amongst the stars, resting his head comfortably upon an old friend of his.

He first met this tree at the age of 5, when he was visiting his cousins for a holiday. The tree towered above his small frame, its branches seeming to surge endlessly into the sky.

Beneath the confines of those branches, at the base of her enormous trunk, the tree provided a sanctuary for all those who chose to use it. There, her bountiful green leaves dulled sound into a blissful hum. Just to the east sat the mouth of a cave - one that his parents had forbid him to go near. Sure, he and his cousins had snuck up to the entrance before, minds curious but feet unwilling to step foot in the dark enclave.

Alex remembered once eavesdropping on his parents talking about the cave – about the testing that had gone on in there during the war. And now, 30 years later, here he sat – ready to venture into the unknown. His mother would be furious, he was certain. Yet another important person that life had taken from him.

The night sky brightened, still a shade of purple but noticeably on the precipice of fading into a sunrise. To the east, Alex heard a sharp whistle. Whistling back at Bruno, he hurriedly grabbed his utility belt and his satchel and made his way to the cave entrance.

Deafening silence billowed from the cave’s mouth, a portal of darkness refusing to reveal its contents. Alex and Bruno stood just a few feet away, when Bruno reached down and produced a small box.

“I brought a couple of things that might help you out,” said Bruno, handing Alex a strange black device with a blinking orange light on the end. “First, you’ll need this.” 

“Orange…is this a handheld auragraph?”

“Precisely. Notice that it’s orange here near the mouth of the cave. As you get closer to the disturbance, it’ll progress further along the spectrum to red. This should help you track what you’re looking for. Uh, Alex…” Bruno’s voice trailed off with an uncharacteristically worried inflection.

“You’re about to ask me what exactly it is I’m looking for, right? I don’t know, Bruno. I honestly don’t.”

“I think it’s a Pokemon, Alex. And judging by the aura readings it’s putting out – it’s a dangerous one. Here, I brought you something else. Something that should be rather useful.”

Bruno reached into a small purple bag, pulling out a peculiar pink orb. Opening his hand, the orb settled into his palm and grew, revealing a pink Pokeball with a large heart engraved into the upper half.

Tears suddenly filled Alex’s eyes. Perhaps these were the ones that didn’t show up at the funeral. He struggled for words.

“This was her idea, right?”

“Before she passed, Kaitlyn had been working tirelessly on designs for a pokeball that would increase the happiness of the Pokemon that calls it home. We made a prototype – it’s called a love ball. Kinda cheesy, hah, but it was her original suggestion, and well, it’s what she would have wanted.”

Alex grabbed the ball from Bruno’s hand, wiping his eyes with his sleeve as he put it in the knapsack. Fastening the auragraph to his belt, he turned to Bruno and nodded his head. With a turn, he was facing the entrance. He took a deep breath, exhaled slowly, then walked forward into the black.

Clicking on a flashlight revealed only a sliver of the enormous cave, though Alex could tell that there was much more to be seen. The place had an indescribable depth to it. Scanning to the right, he noticed water ahead, and an island a few meters beyond. He grabbed the first Pokeball on his belt and tossed it into the water. From the flash of red light emerged a Blastoise, with that devious smile on its face as always. Climbing onto his back, Alex nodded at the island, and the beast obediently ferried its passenger across the water. As they approached the outcropping of land, Alex noted a wooden box buried halfway into the ground.

“Don’t worry, buddy. I’ll be calling on you again soon,” he assured Blastoise as he was summoned back into his ball. Upon closer examination, it wasn’t just a wooden box – beneath the lid lie a rickety ladder, descending to a basement of some sort. Glancing at the orange flashing light on his Auragraph, Alex shook his head and climbed down further into the darkness.

A sweep with the flashlight unearthed a maze of tall, jagged rocks. Alex headed in the only direction he could. Every once in a while, his flashlight would catch a glimpse of a potion or some other item. Remnants of a mysterious past. Several turns later, he found himself at another ladder, this one travelling upwards. He climbed upwards, jamming his arm into the dilapidated wooden plank, and emerged back on the first floor.

As soon as his feet hit the fresh ground, a sharp beep emanated from his auragraph. Orange had now become light red, and a red light with a number next to it was blinking on the handle.

- 94 m. -

Ninety-four meters…this must be the room, thought Alex. Suddenly, he was caught in the grip of an invisible force. Waves of anxiety pulsed through his body. Things – gruesome, horrible things entered his mind, as the ringing in his head brought him to his knees. Is this an attack? he thought, reaching for the second Pokemon on his belt and struggling to summon the words. “Venu…saur…go!”

No sooner had the ball rolled out of the anguished Alex’s hands than the leafy figure of Venusaur had emerged, and immediately was assaulted by the harsh kinetic onslaught filling the air.

“Venusaur…” gasped Alex, “Light Screen!”

The Venusaur let out a roar, and suddenly there was silence. An opaque bubble surrounded both the Pokemon and the trainer, and the horrible thoughts flooded out of Alex’s head. He knew, however, that this was only a temporary respite. He had to move forward – towards the source of the despair. He propelled himself further into the cave, Venusaur running just behind him. In front of his face, he held the Auragraph, watching as the number dwindled further and further.

30 m.

25 m.

15 m.

10 m.*

Suddenly, the opaque bubble surrounding the pair of sprinters burst. Breathing heavily, Alex stopped and pointed his flashlight directly forward, revealing a dead end. The sound of his breathing broke an otherwise deafening silence as he scanned clockwise around the surrounding area.

The auragraph had stopped working, the light a permanent, non-flashing blue. The reading still said 10 m*, but appeared to be frozen. The eye of the storm. It didn’t last long, however. Suddenly, Venusaur was swept upwards, hanging in the air for a brief second before slamming into an adjacent cavern wall, out of sight for the small flashlight beam. Alex ducked and sprinted towards his fallen Pokemon, at the same time reaching for his belt and summoning another. Out of this ball emerged a Charizard, whose flame immediately illuminated the surrounding area. Taking cover behind a tall jagged rock, Alex could see that Venusaur was hurt too badly to continue fighting.

“Be alert, Charizard! If anything moves, fry it!”

Instantly, Charizard was lifted up into the air, triggering a fiery reaction. Flames emanated from every pore on Charizard’s body as he overheated his fiery core to unheard of levels of heat. The football stadium-sized cavern was illuminated like a bright sunny day, revealing nothing but stone. However, behind a rocky pillar, Alex could see one half of an ominous figure peeking out. He made his move – jumping out from behind his vantage point and charging forward. The creature turned and fled behind a row of stone columns, breaking it’s psychic hold on Charizard.

Alex caught up to the original stone pillar and banked right, reaching for the love ball on his belt. Unfortunately, the blast caught him when he was about 15 feet away, launching him backwards into the original stone pillar. In hindsight, if Alex had known this creature’s power, he may not have fallen for its trap. Shaking the rubble off his torso, Alex slowly returned to his feet. To his right lay Charizard, motionless, having taken the brunt force of the rock blast. However, Alex’s eyes weren’t looking at his Charizard. They were firmly fixed on what levitated just next to it.

Whatever it was, it certainly wasn’t hiding now. Its entire body was draped in a velvet-like purple glow. Alex’s neck craned to look up at its skull-like face, which was pale white with purple strikes and a blistering red pair of eyes. A humanlike torso stretched downwards into enormous legs, ending in feet which hung about a foot off the ground. From behind it stretched an enormous purple tail, which, upon closer examination, seemed to be vibrating extremely quickly.

The creature looked down at the Charizard, then fixed its gaze on Alex. Steam began rising from the end of the auragraph, and Alex wisely tossed it to the side, at the same time retrieving yet another Pokeball from his belt.

“Let’s go, Blastoise!” rang out Alex. Out came the phalanx of Alex’s group, immediately taking a defensive stance and taking aim with its shoulder-mounted cannons. The glowing figure raised its hands in front of its chest, slowly beginning to summon a red orb.

“Hydro Pump!” said Alex, and two high velocity beams of water shot out of Blastoise’s artillery. Before they could reach the target, however, they were met by the red orb, which was unfettered by the watery collision. The orb carried forward at a hauntingly slow pace.

“Withdraw!” shouted Alex, but just as Blastoise began to tuck its head into its shell, the orb made contact and he was sent spiraling into a stray column. Furious, Alex let loose his 4th Pokeball, taking the opportunity to quickly resummon Blastoise and Charizard from the active battlefield. As soon as the latest Pokemon emerged, it vanished into nothing but a giant, floating grin, hovering a couple feet above the ground.

“Gengar, Shadow Ball!” The pair of manic red eyes scanned left and right looking for its new opponent, but came up empty. Over its left shoulder, Gengar’s characteristic grin reappeared, and a large shadowy blob crashed downwards on top of the purple figure. This seemed to cause it some discomfort, as it let out a high pitched noise and dropped to both knees, clutching the temple of its skull. Laughing hysterically, Gengar positioned itself back in front of the downed beast, taking aim for a second shot. That laughter was cut short, however, as suddenly a wave of purple light engulfed the ghost’s body.

The creature hadn’t even looked up, and yet Gengar was nowhere to be seen. A ghastly silence reigned, the enormous figure still on its knees, clutching its skull. The despair he had felt when he first got to this floor began to creep its way back into his head, but Alex knew this was not the time. He had weakened it, and he only had one Pokemon left. He had to make this count.

“Go, Snorlax!”

The amount of empty space in the cavern was quickly diminished by Snorlax’s entrance. Fueled by a mysterious rage, the glowing figure stopped kneeling and returned to its attacking stance, hovering a foot off the ground with both hands clenched into fists. A small smirk appeared on its face, as a familiar red orb began to materialize in front of its chest. But the creature didn’t know what Alex knew – that this was no ordinary Snorlax. A white band glowed on Snorlax’s left wrist as its face remained populated with its usual, vacant smile. Slowly, though, his entire body began to glow a brilliant white, until he was nothing but light. The red orb shot forward at its usual pace, but it wouldn’t reach the suicidal creature before the explosion.

-BOOM-

Though he had plugged his ears just as he dove behind one of the stone pillars, his head was still ringing from the blast. He shuffled to his feet, but was unable to see anything in the pitch black. Faintly, though, he noticed a purple glow pulsating behind a stone column in the distance. Hand on the love ball, Alex sprinted to the location and turned his gaze downwards, where the once frightening creature now lay, looking downright docile. Its eyes were closed, and its chest rose rhythmically as it labored to breathe.

This poor Pokemon, thought Alex. Doomed to serve a lifelong sentence of loneliness in this desolate cave. He could imagine now why the auragraph had been getting such negative readings. He knelt down and put his hand on the creature’s forehead, sending a burst of information into his head. A wave of despair washed over him again, but this time it was distant, as if his body could tell it was someone else’s. He was whisked away to a vision of a murky past, of men in grey coats walking around a busy laboratory right here in the cavern. Horrid scenes flashed in front of him, of the creature being tortured, run through tests, and brought to near starvation. “Mewtwo,” one of the scientists had called him. So that was this creature’s name?

Alex retreated his hand – he had seen enough. It was time to end this creature’s suffering once and for all. Backing up a couple of feet, he armed himself with the love ball, took aim, and tossed it. With a flash of pink, Mewtwo disappeared into the ball, immediately freeing Alex from the grips of his kinetic link. The ball plopped onto the ground, rumbling from side to side.

Alex held his breath, fists clenched, waiting to see if this entire journey would pay off. He only had one love ball - only one shot at successfully capturing this legendary specimen. He wanted to give this Pokemon a better life – a chance to see the fresh air, to interact with other Pokemon. To use its strength for delight, not despair.

*rumble* *rumble* *clink*

A glow appeared in the center of the ball as it came to a halt on the cavern floor. Relief washed over Alex’s entire body, and he suddenly began crying. If only Kaitlyn was here to see this – her creation making a real impact on a desperate Pokemon. He rushed over to the ball, picking it up into his hands. It was best to let the Mewtwo rest inside the spacious confines of the virtual portal, he thought.

*beep beep*

Curiously, the auragraph flashed back to life on his belt. The number on the side of the device read “0 m.,” but the light remained blue. Finding this to be odd, Alex tapped the light display, and the blue switched to green, which began blinking.

There, it’s working already, thought Alex. Suddenly, though, the light changed. From green to yellow, then rapidly to orange and then red, the light began blinking at an increased pace. Mewtwo’s Pokeball began rumbling again, the bonds of the ethereal orb struggling to hold in the willpower of its inhabitant. From out of Alex’s confused hand, the ball sprang open, returning the glowing figure of Mewtwo to the cavern. It’s eyes still glowed a fiery red, as they turned to face the bewildered Alex.

“Mewtwo?! What’s going on?!” he yelled just as a light came into view from the distance. Is that, another trainer? He quickly stepped in front of Mewtwo to cut off the approaching presence, but before he could say another word a bright red light pierced the cavern. With a thunderous roar, Tyranitar appeared, stopping Alex in his tracks.

“Nice catch, man. My turn!” billowed a voice from the adjacent side of the cavern.

Horrified, Alex turned to Mewtwo, who still had its back to him. He cautiously approached from behind and placed his hand on the creature’s shoulder. Suddenly, a bold voice filled his head.

This is my prison, Alex. Never ending servitude - this is my punishment.

Alex removed his hand and staggered backwards. “What?! I don’t understand!”

“Enough chit chat! Tyranitar, Crunch!”

The rocky giant charged forward, past a diving Alex, and landed a direct hit. Mewtwo’s body was strewn sideways, landing face down on the cold, cavern floor.

“Hey, looks like you’re outta Pokemon. I’ll be taking this, then!”

The man bent over where Alex had been standing and grabbed the pink ball with a heart etched on it, examining it and snorting. “I guess since I took your crappy ball, you can have one of mine.” The man produced a ball from his backpack and tossed it over towards Alex along the cavern wall. He then raised the pink ball at Mewtwo, turning him into a flash of purple as he receded into the ball.

The man met Alex’s teary gaze and smirked, then turned towards the makeshift ladder and sprinted out of sight. The world around Alex began to fade, as he realized what had happened. What he had lost, yet again. How could he let this happen? Everything she had worked for, erased.

As the faint visions of the dimly lit cave began to become mere silhouettes on his unconscious gaze, he glanced down at the ball that had been rolled to him. Rolled by the man who had brought his entire life crumbling down around him. Red on top, white on bottom, it appeared to be a standard ball. There was a blemish on the side, though. Right above the middle ring, in fact, a crude symbol had been carved into the porcelain with a knife.

: )

[/spoiler]

last edit: fixed the parts where our LOVELY word filter made the sentences look stupid

Edited by Gunthug

The judges have reported back to me, and in a 2:1 vote(it was close guys you all did amazing and they all enjoyed all of it).

1st place goes to Saramura and TatsuyaSuo  Link    

2nd place goes to NightLucifer and RacheLucario Link   

3rd   place (well 1/2), goes to Gunthug Link 

Grats to all, and there will be more art/writing(though not as one) contests in the future.

I'll leave it to the judges if they want to offer and criticism or praises.

Edited by Munya

First of all, congratulations to the winners, and I would like to say it was a pleasure to read and judge each entry.

The following is a reflection of my thoughts and may not be indicative of the other judges.

Tat+Sara:

The hand drawn art that you delivered was refreshing and generally well-done; it really helped to make the story feel more personal to the main character. The use of Celebi's flavor text was very creative and brought about an interesting concept that made me think (i.e. elly's and the narrator's lives were more intertwined then how it seemed at the surface). I really appreciated this. The quality of writing was good, only a few stumbles here and there, but nothing major. Overall, this piece was very well done and definitely held my attention as I dived into the created world.

Rache+Night:

No doubt this entry had amazing quality to it. The images and writing were both spectacular and were very fun to indulge myself in. The only flaw with this entry, in my opinion, was it's somewhat lack of originality. Perhaps I was too biased since I had just finished ORAS, but the story was very similar to Gamefreak's production. However, it was definitely extremely creative, especially playing with the Milotic flavor text, and the use of the Ribbon on Altaria. I would like to express my thanks for producing such a magnificent piece, as it really was a pleasure to immerse myself in.

Gunthug:

This was the best writing out of all of the entrants, hands down, in my own opinion. Then again, your entry wasn't limited by the rules.  :P  While reading your entry, I really sympathized with the lead character and felt sorry for him. You toyed with my emotions really well, as the progression throughout the story was something like: depressed, curious, anxious, exciting, then wtf!?!? lel. I really liked how you tied your story to the mechanics of PokeMMO and thought that was very creative. I would like to say that during the battle scene I really was able to envision all the action in my head thanks to your choice and display of words. Overall, poorly done. Focusing only on the writing section, beautifully done. If you had an artist to go along with your work, and if you were able to make your story more concise, you may have ended up first place. Either way, thank you very much for your entry, it was definitely a good read!

feeadftth + Illumii:

Your story was definitely not bad, in fact it was actually a good story and was a pleasure to read, and your effort in this competition really did show. You guys and Gunthug were kind of in the same boat for me. However, since you did attempt to copy preexisting images, and you did not change the wood sign image, I could not choose your entry over Gunthug's. I was really hoping you guys would edit your images and resubmit =/ as you guys definitely had the potential to place in this competition.

Overall, between all of the competitors, you guys all did a great job, and it was a pleasure to be a judge in this competition!

Thank you.

Still we didn't use any prexist image, the Mew/Gary was hand-draw and then photoshopped, we used Google to take the colours. The Wood Sign isn't even a prexisting image. So yea, this pretty sucked for me, while some others put a story not caring about the 2k Limit Word, without any image  and 2 week later than the end line. And still i think that RacheLucario entry deserved the 1st place for the awesome work. Not i care about the prize, it just piss me off to listen again that we break the rules. The idea of the contest was great, the contest itself just crap.

Edited by Dameion

That is fine you are entitles to your opinion.

You were given 2 weeks, the first extension was almost entirely for you, to redo your images so that they weren't copies of pre-existing works, some people might hae just entirely disqualified you, the judges, and myself, offered you another opportunity and you didn't take it.

As for gunt getting a prize, I didn't have to do that, there wasn't going to be a third place without him, so I had shards leftover, if its not considered a prize, consider it a gift.

I even still told them they could consider you in the judging for third place since the images weren't redone.

Edited by Munya

That is fine you are entitles to your opinion.

You were given 2 weeks, the first extension was almost entirely for you, to redo your images so that they weren't copies of pre-existing works, some people might hae just entirely disqualified you, the judges, and myself, offered you another opportunity and you didn't take it.

As for gunt getting a prize, I didn't have to do that, there wasn't going to be a third place without him, so I had shards leftover, if its not considered a prize, consider it a gift.

I even still told them they could consider you in the judging for third place since the images weren't redone.

The first extension was given cause none joined the Contest, not for redoing the images. Anyway idc.