[Denied] OT Alternate Solution - Request Threads

I'm a bad boy who doesn't look up suggestions before making them

Well I have an idea to try to tend to the restless OT crew. They don't help the game much but they are a part of our country after all.

So I suggest an off topic be reopened but with a structure parallel to the comp alley. For those who don't know, like OTers, when a Pokemon is to be discussed, a request to open a discussion thread is made.

I propose an off topic be made where users cannot post threads, but they can reply to them. A request thread will be pinned and when a topic wants to be made, a member can request a topic.

Example:
>Player would like to discuss the World Cup
>Goes to Off Topic Thread Request Thread
>'I would like a World Cup thread in order to discuss this'
>staff: okie dokie
>thread made

This will prevent shit like 'Yo this guy got banned remembrance threads.'

Pros:
-Mods have direct control over the content of the threads.
-Members have a voice, although as not free as before, but can request to see the off topic content they wanted to see before. The threads such as the workout thread, which weren't derailed terribly, can be replaced.

Cons:
-Mods still have to moderate the threads in case of derailing which is inevitable anywhere on the forum
-No total freedom to make threads
-Rejections to requests

Edited by DrCraig

I think there's a huge difference between a comp alley discussion request thread (realistically, there should only be a couple requests per week at most, and overall roughly 4-5 threads made a month) and an Off topic discussion request thread, where people would be requesting threads on a daily basis. Sounds like a much larger workload for the mod/mods running OT. Then again, I can't really tell if this is a serious suggestion or not given your recent douchery in the off topic threads

Edited by Gunthug

I think there's a huge difference between a comp alley discussion thread request (realistically, there should only be a couple requests per week at most, and overall roughly 4-5 threads made a month) and an Off topic discussion request thread, where people would be requesting threads on a daily basis. Sounds like a much larger workload for the mod/mods running OT. Then again, I can't really tell if this is a serious suggestion or not given your recent douchery in the off topic threads

It's serious, thanks for the input Guntcranky

The staff at PokeMMO have the discussed the topic of Off Topic and have decided that it is in the best interest of the community to keep it closed for the foreseeable future. We believe the negatives outweigh the positives to re-opening the subforum no matter what set of rules we decide to enforce. I am sorry if this is not the outcome that you had envisioned.

Squirtles post about OT for reference.

This solution makes sense on paper, however when you look at the cons

Cons:
-Mods still have to moderate the threads in case of derailing which is inevitable anywhere on the forum
-No total freedom to make threads
-Rejections to requests

on top of these, you also have
-Also have to read and discuss every request with the user to figure out what exactly they want the thread to be
-Might have to redesign the thread a little, which takes more time. 
-Probably have to discuss the thread with the other moderators, assuming it isn't something that can just be passed like a General Music Thread or something.
-Have to judge if the thread is worth it by different criteria.  Like you would have to ask "Does this thread generate enough discussion?", "Is this thread going to be useful in any way to our community?" etc.
-Have to deal with the users who throw a fit because "my thread was rejected but that guys thread is a worst idea than mine and it was still passed!"
-Have to deal with always being accused of favoritism because of the above reason
add all of that on top of moderating the section and you have more to deal with.
Obviously everything I say in this thread is my personal opinion and not the opinion of the rest of staff. 

Not a bad suggestion though.

There's also a lot of personal bias in this system.  For instance if moderator x likes anime and hates sports, even if mod x tries to be completely unbiased it's possible he/she will still end up approving more threads about anime than sports. 

Fuck you Craig
I said this same shit to dark shade on ts and noad in game except noad didn't reply
Got rejected also

Also mine was a little different instead of having a disscusion people would just post what topic they want open and a mod would create it

Edited by dustybunny

Fuck you Craig
I said this same shit to dark shade on ts and noad in game except noad didn't reply
Got rejected also
Also mine was a little different instead of having a disscusion people would just post what topic they want open and a mod would create it

Nah that's what I meant
They post what they want, a mod opens it and organizes it at will

So I suggest an off topic be reopened but with a structure parallel to the comp alley. For those who don't know, like OTers, when a Pokemon is to be discussed, a request to open a discussion thread is made.

I actually suggested this at one point sometime in the last week, doubt it will change the decision.

If the staff want to say 'No' they can say 'No.'

Can do. We don't have any interest in maintaining an off topic board and will not be doing so for the foreseeable future.

Regarding this, though;

-Members have a voice, although as not free as before, but can request to see the off topic content they wanted to see before. The threads such as the workout thread, which weren't derailed terribly, can be replaced.

From what I had read in the original "Off Topic Suggestions" thread, the frequenters of the board were desperate for less moderation, not more. We're not willing to provide /b/: PokeMMO Edition, so I doubt that anybody would have been happy with that.

There are plenty of free forum hosts for those who do want an unmoderated board for their team/friends though, as I'm sure someone has already found.