Matchmaking Queue Bonus.

KaynineXL

Question

14 answers to this question

i like this but i think having a standard fixed % is a bad idea. instead have a % that starts low like 1% but increases every round exponentially until you get a drop then starts back at 1% until you get a match. that way you maybe get a drop if you wait a few minutes but probably not. but if you are waiting for a long time you almost definitely get a drop. 

this way it's more unpredictable when the teir will be active or inactive as farming for drops during inactive times will try to be a thing, except since everyone is trying to do it at inactive times they are making inactive times active. 

also apply to ou too pls not just nu/uu

i like this but i think having a standard fixed % is a bad idea. instead have a % that starts low like 1% but increases every round exponentially until you get a drop then starts back at 1% until you get a match. that way you maybe get a drop if you wait a few minutes but probably not. but if you are waiting for a long time you almost definitely get a drop. 

this way it's more unpredictable when the teir will be active or inactive as farming for drops during inactive times will try to be a thing, except since everyone is trying to do it at inactive times they are making inactive times active. 

also apply to ou too pls not just nu/uu

I didn't count OU out, but I only used NU+UU in my example because these tiers are more than likely to be lesser used and would fit the example better.

To go into more detail about what I meant:

Currently, in normals, the matchmaking system requires at least 4 people(I believe) to be queueing up to matchmake some games. If there is ever a time when the system notices there are less than 4 people in the queue, the next round will have these bonus's activated. 

I wasn't sure if you meant like, if there were plenty of people in the queue, but you were unfortunate enough to not be picked for that round.

I think it's a silly idea to bribe players to queue up to the lower tiers. The playerbases for the tiers just have to expand.

More practical incentives would be a tournament after each leaderboard cycle, such as OUs invitational for the top 16. Reward BP bonuses to the top players would also be an incentive to give the other tiers love. A seemingly easy ladder would get more attention by players all with the same idea.

LF Incentive

I think it's a silly idea to bribe players to queue up to the lower tiers. The playerbases for the tiers just have to expand.

More practical incentives would be a tournament after each leaderboard cycle, such as OUs invitational for the top 16. Reward BP bonuses to the top players would also be an incentive to give the other tiers love. A seemingly easy ladder would get more attention by players all with the same idea.

LF Incentive

I feel like there is nothing wrong with bribing. A lot of games use bribing techniques to get players to do a certain thing, whether that's giving rewards for tournaments, rewarding BP for matchmaking or even $$ for defeating a trainer. 

I do get your point though, 'leaderboards tournaments' do sound like a more logical method to bribe players to play a certain tier, but I honestly don't think it would be as good as a bonus like the one I mentioned because for starters if the queue system pointed out there was a shortage of players and you would receive a reward for playing I'd say you're more likely to queue up. More importantly, it's not exactly when ranked is enabled that we have this problem, it's more just the normal matchmaking battles that's a struggle to find a battle.

I think players who top the leaderboards already get rewards anyway and there are also leaderboard tournaments for OU, not sure about the other tiers? Maybe it rotates each month?

Edited by KaynineXL

I feel like there is nothing wrong with bribing. A lot of games use bribing techniques to get players to do a certain thing, whether that's giving rewards for tournaments, rewarding BP for matchmaking or even $$ for defeating a trainer. 

I don't consider prizes/rewards in the same category as bribes in this case. Rewarding people for queueing up isn't meriting skills/effort and shit its just a bride for attendance. Unimportant specifics, but I want to be clear.

I do get your point though, 'leaderboards tournaments' do sound like a more logical method to bribe players to play a certain tier, but I honestly don't think it would be as good as a bonus like the one I mentioned because for starters if the queue system pointed out there was a shortage of players and you would receive a reward for playing I'd say you're more likely to queue up. More importantly, it's not exactly when ranked is enabled that we have this problem, it's more just the normal matchmaking battles that's a struggle to find a battle.

Meh I don't see unranked as relevant or worthy of getting a prize. It's just unranked. Ranked matchmaking deserves its incentive so it is on at least close to par with OU in terms of size.

I think players who top the leaderboards already get rewards anyway and there are also leaderboard tournaments for OU, not sure about the other tiers? Maybe it rotates each month?

Other tier tournaments would be sweet

I don't consider prizes/rewards in the same category as bribes in this case. Rewarding people for queueing up isn't meriting skills/effort and shit its just a bride for attendance. Unimportant specifics, but I want to be clear.

Meh I don't see unranked as relevant or worthy of getting a prize. It's just unranked. Ranked matchmaking deserves its incentive so it is on at least close to par with OU in terms of size.

Other tier tournaments would be sweet

Well, normals already get rewarded with BP and it's not like the queue bonus is guaranteed to give you anything at all, but it will increase the number of players using the system. If nothing is done, they might as well remove UU/NU normal matchmaking because it doesn't work. I'm currently in NU queue, and have been for the past 20 minutes and I'v not gotten a single duel, I just want to test out the new bands :mellow:.

edit:

Oh, and like I said in one of my posts, I don't think people are not playing UU and NU because the tiers are not liked, I think it's more because people know it's hard to find a game, I know that sounds quite contradicting but I feel it's because OU was released first, it's the most popular and people are just used to playing OU so the other tiers have kept a long queue time because of that. If there was some way to get people to queue to those tiers and people started to realize the queue's aren't so bad, that would give people who play those tiers encouragement to give it a go instead of just playing OU.

Most people play OU and in some cases another tier, should that be UU or NU which leads to this example:

If you play OU and NU. Why would you play NU when the queue's are so long and you could just play OU easily? You get where I'm coming from?

Edited by KaynineXL

I think a significant boost to all BP rewards for the lower tiers would be enough. Maybe a 25/50% boost for UU/NU respectively (or 50/100%). This would not only encourage a larger playerbase for each tier, but also give players a reason to play the less popular tiers outside of "I like this tier more." Giving higher rewards (at least for a little while) isn't too unfair for the players that refuse to play lower tiers as they are still getting the same reward, but in smaller amounts. This would also allow for easy editing later if circumstances change. There wouldn't be an outrage about losing out on free Mystery Boxes or whatever. It would only be slight grumbling about reduced payouts.

As KaynineXL said: I think a lot of people want to play UU and NU, half of the people I know here prefer them!

I quote BigShotJoe too: with a "significant boost to all BP rewards for the lower tiers" people would start play them more.

P.S. I hope we'll get UU and NU full soon, otherwise I'll never get the Double Battle PvP! XD

Hey, devs/staff, do you have any plans on how you can get people to play the UU/NU normal matchmaking mode?

It's pretty much never used, I'd love to use it but knowing I won't find a game makes me pretty much never even attempt to queue, and I feel that's probably the same with others. People just need a little push to get it going I think.

If this suggestion isn't reasonable, I hope you've thought of another way.

f4fb985edf1565a74b6ad54b7d22d5de.gif

774daba0c37384f2edb4d931f898b0dc.png

Edited by KaynineXL

You are right, there should be some change

Most people will use OU matchmaking because it has the faster (existent) queue times so more BP etc etc, so they won't use UU or NU, so as long as there is a way to incentivize using the others things should be a lot more fun for NU and UU players

Another idea for this could be that everytime the queue fails to find enough people for them to play against it adds on BP to the reward for the next time people get to play up to a maximum, and each time a match is found the BP reward moves closer to the minimum 500BP reward

So say for instance there was always a queue it would be the classic 500BP per Victory
Lets say that every time there are no suitable matches the BP prize goes up 25BP until a suitable match is found, after which the BP reward drops 50BP (with the minimum of 500BP) this would mean people would REALLY wanna play on the lower usage tiers for the bonus BP, but it also means that using it over and over would simply return it to normal, with some balance this could be a nice solution.

Edited by Matoka