[OU Discussion] Slowbro [Remains OU]

How defensive do you have to build P2 to become a reliable check for both of those though?

I guess not really that much. P2 traces intimidate from Gyara, making it -1 (or 0, depending on Gyara's move) at the start, then scaring it off with TBolt.

e:

page king

Edited by RysPicz

How defensive do you have to build P2 to become a reliable check for both of those though?

252 hp/100 def/80 sp atk/76 sp def bold looked like a pretty good ev spread to beat gyarados+slowbro. after trace intimidate, dragon danced gyara only 3hkos with waterfall and you have a decent chance to ohko gyara with tbolt, and 35% to 2hko slowbro with tbolt

P2 is going to become an awesome Pokémon in OU now that Dragonite is gone IMO. Can check Slowbro and counter Gyarados, it also shits on Flygon with Trace Levitate. Traps Dugtrio and Magneton (if you have HP Fire). It's an awesome Pokémon that will surely see some more usage.

But I guess I digress from the topic at hand, my apologies.

P2 is going to become an awesome Pokémon in OU now that Dragonite is gone IMO. Can check Slowbro and counter Gyarados, it also shits on Flygon with Trace Levitate. Traps Dugtrio and Magneton (if you have HP Fire). It's an awesome Pokémon that will surely see some more usage.

Well it would work if this was gen 3, but dugtrio runs reversal so unless you're running conversion 2, going to die to a 200 BP reversal. Flygon also runs superpower which isn't ideal. Magneton also does a ton of damage with tbolt unless you have some sp def investment and magneton isnt ohko'ed by hp fire (inb4 hp ground) so its not really worth ti either. I'll admit that it takes on things with intimidate very nicely though (salamence included) and weak special and physical walls are generally free switch ins, assuming they don't have toxic.

Well it would work if this was gen 3, but dugtrio runs reversal so unless you're running conversion 2, going to die to a 200 BP reversal. Flygon also runs superpower which isn't ideal. Magneton also does a ton of damage with tbolt unless you have some sp def investment and magneton isnt ohko'ed by hp fire (inb4 hp ground) so its not really worth ti either. I'll admit that it takes on things with intimidate very nicely though (salamence included) and weak special and physical walls are generally free switch ins, assuming they don't have toxic.

I was thinking of CB Dugtrio and Flygon, also yeah Flygon can carry SP but that would make it defenseless against Slowbro assuming you drop Crunch. P2 is still a really good check. And I meant a lower hp Magneton so you can revenge it. But yeah its definitely not the best of the best but still pretty damn good.

I was thinking of CB Dugtrio and Flygon, also yeah Flygon can carry SP but that would make it defenseless against Slowbro assuming you drop Crunch. P2 is still a really good check. And I meant a lower hp Magneton so you can revenge it. But yeah its definitely not the best of the best but still pretty damn good.

eq, claw, crunch, SP is a strong set for flygon IMO

And I meant a lower hp Magneton so you can revenge it. But yeah its definitely not the best of the best but still pretty damn good.

4 SpA Porygon2 Hidden Power Ground vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Magneton: 152-180 (110.9 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Porygon2 Hidden Power Fire vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Magneton: 76-90 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Porygon2: 66-78 (34.3 - 40.6%) -- 36.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

That could work, also Pory would be a fantastic tool against very common Jolt, takes on Gengar and Vaporeon as well.

Maybe only a tiny bit, since we're talking about "how the meta will/ might look like post-slowbro ban", so it's still quite relevant ;)

physical houndoom is an interesting check (can come in on a psychic obv. But if the bro is at full health and decides to cm on the switch then the doom will only be able to throw down ~50-70% depending on the spread and nature, before dying to the surf).

physical houndoom is an interesting check (can come in on a psychic obv. But if the bro is at full health and decides to cm on the switch then the doom will only be able to throw down ~50-70% depending on the spread and nature, before dying to the surf).

252 Atk Houndoom Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 74-90 (36.6 - 44.5%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Houndoom Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 80-96 (39.6 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

That's not gonna cut it. And remember, a lot of slowbros can drop ice beam now for surf w/dragonite out of the picture.

Now, in a few months...

252 SpA Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 146-174 (72.2 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Houndoom Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 74-90 (36.6 - 44.5%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Houndoom Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 80-96 (39.6 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

That's not gonna cut it. And remember, a lot of slowbros can drop ice beam now for surf w/dragonite out of the picture.

Now, in a few months...

252 SpA Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 146-174 (72.2 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

lonely/hasty houndoom with choice band is a 2hko. and if you run lonely and drop some speed for just a little sp def it lives the surf. But I'll shut up now since I'm the only one who would even consider running something so crazy.

Now, in a few months...

Few years* they would have been added now if they were going too.

Slowbro imo is not an issue. Like riga has stated anything with toxic drops it. And spikes make it worse. let's face it this meta going towards stall again and toxic and spikes gonna be everywhere

Off topic: Porygod confirmed OP.

Slowbro seeming less uguu now because Blissey gets steamrolled by most common sweepers, making it harder to run SlackOff+CM stall sets without fear of Toxic. Heracross's added viability without constant Drogon spam lets it Megahorn/Pursuit trap the Bro, even Snorlax can switch in and spam Crunch in hopes of getting that Def drop or just set up some Curses to make Slowbro look bad. Gyarados is a little shakey as a check but it can set up DD's and go for the 2HKO Crunch if it's feeling extra brave.

• 3 weeks later...

got a question: why do we ban all attackers in tiers that considered "dangerous" but keep the OP walls? doesnt that give more reason to people to run walls?

like, blis itsnt that threating but nothing special can pass it, bro tanks so much too[physical] :F whats the logic banning all the pokes that hits hard and keep the OP walls behind  that outwall everything...?? also doing that u make sure ppl will run them and make their matches stall, because ofc someone will abuse the benefit of walling if he can do it effectively [and with the 45min rule things gets messy]. The only way to take walls like that out [slowbro,blis] is to kill rest of the team and finish them... bcz they switch in - bulk, heal and go off.

Edited by liotec

got a question: why do we ban all attackers in tiers that considered "dangerous" but keep the OP walls? doesnt that give more reason to people to run walls?

like, blis itsnt that threating but nothing special can pass it, bro tanks so much too[physical] :F whats the logic banning all "hard hitters" but let arround everything that wall strongly...?? :F

Wrong - Attackers are often banned for meeting the Uber criteria. Perhaps it's harder for walls to meet their criteria, since new physical coverage options make it difficult to truly wall a majority of the meta.

Just so we're clear - you are aware of the Uber criteria our tier council uses when determining bans, right?

time to close this thread, we'll discuss this again if Heracross or one of our other megathreats end up getting the banhammer

I'm going to take this as the council has decided Slowbra will be staying in OU for the time being. So I will be closing this thread but as Robo has said, if the circumstances change feel free to send a message to a CA mod to get this reopened. 

• Munya pinned this topic