[Banned to ubers] Gengar

Gengar  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gengar stay in OU?

• No, ban it to ubers.
    • Yes, keep it in OU.

Yeah I agree magneton is really useful now to trap skarmory which people use to stop the normal and ground spam and also help a lot in stall teams against chansey, umbreon or porygon2 since it can't be toxiced or paralyzed with twave but it was also useful before even for gengar, for me stall became more viable indeed but not to make it too op but yeah balance lose against it or at least I didn't see balance winning yesterday against stall in any case

Ursaring was my hope for stallbreaker of choice.. but it seems like it just can't clean out a stall team without taking life-ending amounts of damage in the process, especially if it takes status or has to work around spikes.

Inb4 Resto-Chesto with the sacrifice of Earthquake. 

Machamp/hariyama are notable mentions for stall breaking, with their guts ability and greater bulk than ursaring. They pair quite well with marowak who can nuke through skarm/weezing/slowbro pretty easily.

Implying Psychic/Drill Peck isn't super effective anymore:

0 SpA Slowbro Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hariyama: 102-120 (40.6 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Slowbro Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Machamp: 116-140 (58.8 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Skarmory Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Machamp: 90-108 (45.6 - 54.8%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Skarmory Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hariyama: 216-254 (43.9 - 51.6%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO

That doesn't take Bulk-Up boosts into consideration, but it should show you that fighting types can't just "nuke their way" through Slowbro. Marowak is good, especially against Slowbro, but it notice that:

+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 184-217 (91 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Thick Club Marowak Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 168-198 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So Marowak has to be Adamant, meaning it doesn't have the speed to beat Venusaur or take advantage of other slow pokes. Like the other attackers, it 
seems like Marowak also has trouble switching in and staying healthy with Spikes, a lack of resistances and no reliable recovery. 

Implying Psychic/Drill Peck isn't super effective anymore:

0 SpA Slowbro Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hariyama: 102-120 (40.6 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Slowbro Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Machamp: 116-140 (58.8 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Skarmory Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Machamp: 90-108 (45.6 - 54.8%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Skarmory Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hariyama: 216-254 (43.9 - 51.6%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO

That doesn't take Bulk-Up boosts into consideration, but it should show you that fighting types can't just "nuke their way" through Slowbro. Marowak is good, especially against Slowbro, but it notice that:

+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 184-217 (91 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Thick Club Marowak Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 168-198 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So Marowak has to be Adamant, meaning it doesn't have the speed to beat Venusaur or take advantage of other slow pokes. Like the other attackers, it 
seems like Marowak also has trouble switching in and staying healthy with Spikes, a lack of resistances and no reliable recovery. 

With these calcs in mind, the Slowbro + Arcanine defensive core is incredibly strong in this new meta. Like honestly, what outside of UU Crawdaunt can break it that isn't absolutely man-handled by the other common pokes in the OU tier?

+6 252 Atk Charizard Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 184-218 (91 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Charizard Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 202-238 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Instantdrum zard new wallbreaker. Shame that schwampert is there as well, but regardless, such Zard does pretty well. Generally there are ways of playing through stall and if not for the fact that breeding one poke takes me a week, I'd gladly show that on some tournaments.

Tip: Belly Drum is a very nice move

+6 252 Atk Charizard Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 184-218 (91 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Charizard Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 202-238 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Instantdrum zard new wallbreaker. Shame that schwampert is there as well, but regardless, such Zard does pretty well. Generally there are ways of playing through stall and if not for the fact that breeding one poke takes me a week, I'd gladly show that on some tournaments.

Tip: Belly Drum is a very nice move

With the hope that you can pull off a Belly Drum on Arcanine with Sitrus Berry and not encounter something faster such as Aerodactyl or Jolteon to revenge kill you on Turn 2 (Need EQ to beat Arcanine). 

IMO, Arc is actually a reasonable counter to Charizard and can prevent it from using Belly Drum. 

By this path, you mean the path of a healthier OU meta? Then so did ou tier council and all the people that voted for banning gengar.

Well our OU will never truly be healthy. We just have to live with that. We've banned the dominating forces in the tier that were overly centralizing, but now we have a tier that is dominated by stall. To some people a stall heavy tier is less healthy than a centralizing tier with dominant wallbreakers. And to some, like you, a tier dominated by one team archetype is more healthy because there is less centralization. To each their own, and in the meantime OU will be OU.

People complain about stall?
Well we got a Dragonite, Salamence and Tyranitar in ubers tier... :)

[spoiler]pls respond[/spoiler]
Also instantdrum Zard does carry EQ with it, and it does oneshot Arc. ESpeed won't do 75% after sitrus for sure.

4 Atk Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Charizard: 40-48 (25.9 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+5 252 Atk Charizard Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 248-292 (125.8 - 148.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If you are running stall then only defensive Swampert can withstand it.

People complain about stall?
Well we got a Dragonite, Salamence and Tyranitar in ubers tier... :)

[spoiler]pls respond[/spoiler]
Also instantdrum Zard does carry EQ with it, and it does oneshot Arc. ESpeed won't do 75% after sitrus for sure.

4 Atk Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Charizard: 40-48 (25.9 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+5 252 Atk Charizard Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 248-292 (125.8 - 148.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Definitely no to that sp def boosted tyranitar. Dragonite/salamence are on pretty similar levels of centralization as gengar imo, requiring people to run ~2 pokemon that can take their attacks and another pokemon or two that can outspeed them and revenge kill, which people seem to not mind with gengar. 

There are a lot of ways to break stall, but people were so spoiled with overpowered pokemon that could break stall on their own. It was like rhydon in UU that could crush every wall into a pulp, and could pretty much run whatever else you wanted with rhydon since it put so much pressure on walls. Obviously one ursaring on its own won't beat stall since stall usually prepares for one or two wallbreakers, but if you run two or three of the following pokemon, charizard/ursaring/swampert/machamp/hariyama/marowak/heracross/metagross, then offensive teams will obviously beat defensive teams, assuming minimal rng on each side and equally skilled playing.

People are quite assuming when it comes to the OU meta. They're quick to say that offense isn't viable, but not many have even tried running it. I ran offense a few times in the post gengar ban tournaments and it was pretty easy to run. Obviously running offense is more risky since you have a worse match up vs balanced/offense, but you have a better match up vs stall teams, which are the common archetype currently. 

Yes this beats Arcanine and stall, but stall usually has a fast sweeper to clean up after your team has been crippled. Charizard with Sitrus Berry is just fodder for Jolteon or Aero revenge kills. 

People are quite assuming when it comes to the OU meta. They're quick to say that offense isn't viable, but not many have even tried running it. I ran offense a few times in the post gengar ban tournaments and it was pretty easy to run. Obviously running offense is more risky since you have a worse match up vs balanced/offense, but you have a better match up vs stall teams, which are the common archetype currently. 

It's not much assuming, you just have to sit down and watch what happens. Usage statistics also paint a very beautiful picture.

Of the 24 Pokemon with 10% or higher usage in OU...

• 13 are classic walls (54%)
  • 16 can easily be considered walls (67%; includes Metagross, Magneton, and SpDef Gardevoir)

Of the 13 Pokemon with 20% or higher usage in OU...

• 9 can be considered walls (69%)

With this in mind, it's evident that defensive play is highly favored in PokeMMO and when you watch defensive play in action in the current meta, it overpowers not only Balanced teams (like it's supposed to), but also Hyper Offensive teams. This is mostly because we lack any dominant wall breakers. 

Machamp and Hariyama have a difficult time in the tier with a Choice Band, this is mostly due to Protect being quite popular and their typically offensive options being easy to play around. Marowak is an excellent option, but it faces a speed dilemma and takes damage from nearly the entire tier. All of these are also easily revenge killed by late-game sweepers like Starmie, Aerodactyl, and even Jolteon.

But I digress, because I recognize that the OU tier is so restricted by our lack of legendaries and by the difficulty to create comps.  

Oh wait, I did.

I did too (eventually I voted against it) but the test is at least a good verification of your original arguments. You'd have to be a bit blind (imo) to look at the current OU meta and say "yeah that's healthy" - although Gengar at 50% usage is a bit troubling.

Also @JJ pls don't do the "OU will never be healthy" thing, I know it's tempting but we gotta have hope

Edited by Robofiend

paying 200k to someone who can name a pokemon able to safely switch in against banded blaziken with equake, fire blast (weezing), thunderpunch and superpower.

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Blaziken Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 100-118 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Blaziken Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 99-117 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery