Type-enhancing items buff

This was discussed briefly somewhere in 2013 or something but that is so far back I felt like opening a new discussion to this.

Now that we have got into the mood of implementing later gen stuff I thought there's one more later gen thing that it could discussed whether our competitive experience would benefit from this. Basically from Generation 4 onward type-enhancing items was changed to give 20% damage boost compared to the 10% we're having in Generation 3. In our current state with 10% boost on the types these things are literally never used at all. Even in later generations even with 20% damage boost these items are really unpopular, you can just check Smogon and see how commonly is type-enhancing items recommended to be used for Pokemon.

Why I'm saying this is that this boost would hardly make things overpowered. What it would do, however is to give at least some diversity with the selection of items we could use now. It's only Leftovers, Pinch berry, Lum or Chesto so far. Giving us type-enhancing items to be somewhat usable would diverse the things a little bit at least, to me.

I would definitely argue this does not make special sweepers any better to the extent tiers could need any fixing because of this. For physical attackers Choice Band has always been better than type-enhancing in the long run and it will forever be this way. Special sweepers are generally good due to their enormous selection special moves. Sacrificing your item slot just to boost one of those moves and not by even that much wouldn't make things too metachanging.

I'd like to ask community's input regarding if type-enhancing item buff would be beneficial to our competitive experience in this game. What comes to casuals, I don't think this changes anything in any relevant way so I figured this mostly is a competitive discussion.

I thought they already were 20%

I went through last 4-5 changelogs to make sure I haven't missed anything and I didn't find anything regarding this.

If this is the case could someone link it?

Edit: I Ctrl + F'd "enhancing" and even "type" for the first page of update logs and nothing so pretty sure it's still 10%.

Edited by OrangeManiac

For a moment when I read the thread title my first thought was "omg pls life orb". But that would work too. I mean, it's ought to happen one day anyway isn't it? Better sooner than later, imo.

Support

If you ask me I would show green light to Life Orb, Choice Scarf and Choice Specs but this is probably the most "easy" thing to implement considering the way this game approaches for later gen mechanics.

I did some testing with Orange:

Ursaring | adamant | ev: 252 atk | iv: 31 atk              using Fire Punch against             Forretress | Relaxed | ev: 252 hp 252 def | iv: 31 hp 31 def

Without Charcoal, the damage from Fire Punch ranged from 61.6% to 70%.

With Charcoal, the damage from Fire Punch ranged from 68.8 % to 77.2%.

Those results should be clear evidence that type-enhancing items only give a 10% boost.

Edit: Orange types faster than me :(

Edited by lamerb
  • 1 month later...

We just tried with Gb again. Ursabear and Forretress Fire Punch about 10 times each. This is what we got.

Maximum damage done with Charcoal: 85,5% damage caused

Maximum Damage without Charcoal: 70,5% damage caused

85,5% is 21.2% more than 70,5% so we can confirm Charcoal is doing 20% more than without Charcoal. So we can just assume other one's high roll was closer to maximum but 21.2% is really close to 20% saying we got pretty reliable results.

I guess this thread can be put in rest now.

• Munya pinned this topic