PSL Season 4 - Administrative Decisions

This is a thread where all the decisions regarding PSL rulings are collected. Administrative decisions are things like: activity decisions, tierlist updates, sellbacks, punishments and so on.

Like stated in General Thread, all the rulings made in PSL are irreversible for consistency purposes. For all the managers, if you see something isn't right do not forget to contact the host about it immediately.

This thread should be kept locked at all times unless I PM a moderator to unlock it. While it is not locked do not post in this thread.

Edited by OrangeManiac

RE: Forum banned players

After unanimous decision by managers, we have allowed Forum banned players to take part in PSL. Because of the lack of direct communication between the opponents the forum banned player's manager will PM the opponent with the whole week's schedule to opponent of forum banned player within the rules of "Scheduling your match". This basically means the forum banned player needs to have 3 possible times for first 48 hours with 2 of them must be 24 hours apart, do that for the next 72 hours after that and after that the remaining 48 hours. This means the opponent should be able to pick the time of their liking immediately, who then PMs the manager their agreed time. Forum banned player must accept to be in a separate contact channel with their manager with a communication channel the manager chooses.

Edited by OrangeManiac

RE: Kanzo takes manager spot

As Hopyrevenge cannot reach forums, he no longer can be a manager in PSL. Kanzo takes over as the 8th manager. After a PM with him, I am convinced of his motivation and that he will be a great manager for Season 4 of PSL. He has past PSL experience from last season where he was without a doubt one of the MVPs of his team and impeccable behavior throughout his time in PSL.

RE: PSL Live Auction

PSL Live Auction will take place on Sunday November 22nd 7 PM GMT. All people are allowed to spectate the live auction. In order to be able to spectate the live auction you must come to the PSL main channel 10 minutes prior the auction starts, where I will move you to the Auction room. After auction has started, no one except managers will be moved to the auction channel. Every spectator will be muted in auction room, only host and managers will have voice.

We're planning to do the Live Auction in PokeMMO's Teamspeak channel, however due to latency issues Inarin has with MMO's Teamspeak it is a possibility we will use a separate Teamspeak channel for the Live Auction. In this case we will inform you about it.

RE: Player Signups extension

Player signups thread will close 72 hours prior to Live Auction. The 72 hours gap is to make sure every manager can plan their auction strategies with the exact player list in advance. Closing the signups thread 1 week earlier to Live Auction is a bit unnecessarily too early and the more players PSL can get, the better.

RE: OU2

The decision regarding whether PSL Season 4 has two PokeMMO OU matches instead of one will be decided at the moment the signups thread will close. Don't forget to voice your opinion in the General Thread!

Edited by OrangeManiac

RE: OU2 Finalized decision

I said I was gonna make this decision on Thursday but the sooner the better I guess. Due to unexpectedly large amount of signups and a huge part of them being or containing PokeMMO OU, I have decided I will include two OU battles instead of previously planned one. OU and OU2 will be decided the same way as last season: The higher win-rated player will get OU and lower win rated player gets OU2.

RE: UU2

PSL Season 4 will include another UU match / week as well. Season 4 had a record breaking 92 signups which surpassed the last season by 11 which already was running 8v8 and worked relatively well. I do not want to have 4 out of 11 players to sit on the sideline on this event so this will increase more participation while still making sure there are fair amount of substitutes to make sure this won't become PokeMMO no-show League.

No additional tiers were included due basically requiring new signups. In addition the amount of Showdown signups were really low to begin with, even now they have bigger role in PSL than they have signups. PokeMMO Ubers was one other possible consideration but it doesn't have enough Pokemon to call it a significantly different metagame and in addition Ubers is kinda deemed "uncompetitive" by default. Therefor UU2 was easily the last tier to go to.

Edited by OrangeManiac

RE: PSL Season 4 Schedule & Tie Breakers

PSL Season Season 4 Group Stages schedule is out at: http://challonge.com/pslseason4 The season goes like last season, the best 4 teams will make it to the playoffs after Round Robin. #1 of Group Stages plays #4 and #2 plays #3.

I made the tiebreakers to be working in Challonge bracket but just in case something goes wrong I'll have them written in here. In case of point tie, these are the tie breakers: 

1: Point difference. At tied points first tie breaker is point difference from individual wins. A team with 50 wins and 40 losses has a point value of +10.

2: Points scored: If point value is the same with tied teams the one with scored points ranks higher. 50-40 team is better than 49-39.

3: The match between tied teams

4: Week wins

5: Coin flip

Edited by OrangeManiac
  • 3 weeks later...

Week 2 stuff here.

RE: Walpayer (Walpayer vs REEVS)

Situation: Walpayer and REEVS were about to battle 6 PM EST on Saturday. Both players showed up on agreed time, but Walpayer whispered REEVS asking for 30 minute extension because of him wanting to make final adjustments. REEVS agreed to. After this Walpayer asked another 30 minute extension because he had to go "shopping". REEVS agreed for this as well. 1 hour and two 30 minute postpones later Walpayer still didn't show up. After waiting for over 30 minutes, TheFireLion asked me whether he could substitute Lazaaro in for Walpayer because Walpayer was nowhere to seen and Lazaaro was ready to go. Because of this bullshit behavior and wanting to reward the player who has already shown positive sportsmanship, I asked REEVS whether he allows the substitute for this match and he did.

Shoutout to REEVS for good sportsmanship. Even though I heard somewhat of a undetailed acceptable explanation, I still can't help not see him first postpone the match twice for stupid reasons and then not turning up at all. Final adjustments could have been done days before the battle and the battle would have been probably over by the time Walpayer had to go for "shopping". After this not turning up is just ridiculous.

Result: Walpayer receives a yellow card in PSL for poor behavior on his match against the REEVS. Any further shitty behavior will result in punishments.

RE: EricTheGreat vs Telf

Situation: Telf and Eric couldn't find a time to battle. I was convinced by The Saiyans' side a lot that Telf has been the active waiting for this match and yes, I have seen Telf online quite often. However, he didn't do exactly perfect job showcasing his activity in the PM either.

However, Eric did that much less. On Tuesday Telf contacted Eric when can Eric battle and Eric gave him "Saturday night, Sunday morning and Thursday evening". Telf said Thursday sounds good. After Thursday Telf contacts Eric again saying when can he play on Saturday because he didn't turn up on Thursday. Eric said "We didn't agree any specific time". Although Eric isn't exactly wrong about this, when you put up only 3 times of the whole week to battle it's only sensible to have some kind of actual effort to battle one of those 3 times. Telf said he was waiting to see Eric to come online (which cannot be proven) but Eric admitted he wasn't online himself then. One of three times in the week he told he can battle.

Telf and Eric tried to battle on Saturday night, in which Eric reported that he's not sure if he can come home on time. The battle didn't happen here either and Eric asked whether they could battle on Sunday morning. I personally looked at Eric's profile on Sunday and I noticed he didn't log on once during Sunday morning or Sunday day to noon.

Telf had the kind of a "Any time is fine for me attitude", which is fine and all but I'd look forward just a little bit more precision about the scheduling. If your opponent tells some times of the week he can battle, Telf could himself hit an exact time they could agree to battle. However, Eric being evidently not being able to battle on any of his suggested times of the week isn't good activity.

Result: Telf gets a win by activity. (or more so, Eric's evident passivity)

RE: Substitutes

I'm aware I may have allowed substitutes more loosely than it has been allowed in the previous PSL seasons, perhaps a bit too loosely. I feel like PSL should be won by battling instead of who gets less reasons to be away from the computer. However, I will say this much to managers: The more you substitute, the more likely is that you won't be given a substitute in the future.

RE: Respecting your opponent

Something that was done quite poorly this week. There were worrying amount of no-shows in this week's battles most of which luckily were done by battling on another time. A lot of these no-shows were completely unexpected while opponent sometimes waited almost an hour for their opponent to show up. This kind of no-showing is really poor behavior and will result in a really bad way considering your activity. While it is possible something could always come up, when you find out you cannot battle at certain time I don't think it's too much to asked to PM your opponent in forums or post in PSL thread that you won't be able to battle that time. So your opponent doesn't have to wait an hour thinking what the hell is going on. Even if you're unsure you can play at certain time, saying you're uncertain helps enough for your opponent to see that if you didn't turn up you might not have been able to make it and quickly just log off. This kind of making your opponent wait is not good PSL behavior at all.

RE: Extended Week 4

I have decided to make the Week 4 last two weeks instead of one due to Christmas Holidays and New Year holidays. I thought some of you nerds might be somewhere because of Christmas and New year's holidays and I don't want no-shows so I thought it's reasonable to make Week 4 last 2 weeks. This will be the only time I will be doing such an extension.

Edited by OrangeManiac

RE: VGC

I took a long time to decide whether PSL will be VGC 2015 or the currently implemented 2016. I honestly could see arguments for both sides. Main thing for 2015 was that players were "bought" as 2015 players in auction and the fact it was generally thought to be a better metagame because of the lack of super OP stuff. Both of these arguments are really good for 2015 but I'd like to point out every other PSL tier could change as well. In this case we kinda have a completely different metagame but still.

However, the reason why I decided to make VGC in PSL VGC 2016 was basically a couple of things. First: It kinda makes no sense to play the format that isn't the current official format anymore. In addition, we might not know enough of the metagame.. it looks really awful at first glance but who knows. In addition, practicing VGC 2015 has become quite impossible now because all of Showdown is naturally concentrated on the VGC 2016 because of it being the standard VGC now.

Due to these reasons I decided to make PSL's VGC match VGC 2016 from Week 5 onwards, therefor you have 2 weeks and 2 days to prepare your teams.

Edited by OrangeManiac

RE: Winterbrah

Situation: Winterbrah is inactive.

Eggplant reported me Winterbrah's inactivity, for which I gave end of this week to the situation to change but it didn't. Last post Winterbrah has made in their team PM has been about 3 weeks ago and he has not read either Eggplant's or my forum PMs. Winterbrah said he had some internet problems but even if this was the case the fairest thing is to let the host know as soon as possible and give some further information about it.

Result: PSL's policies regarding this is simple. When you sign up to PSL, you guarantee you will be there for the season to come with the possibility of being punished if you fail to do so. Eggplant will get a sellback from Winterbrah and recieves 50% of Winterbrah's auction prize for midseason auction, therefor 1.000. In addition, Winterbrah is blacklisted from PSL for Season 5.

RE: SfSkump

Situation: SfSkump is inactive.

SfSkump hasn't even opened the Mariachis team PM. Clearly SfSkump is away from this game.

Result: Linken will get a sellback from SfSkump and gets 2.250 for midseason auction. SfSkump will be blacklisted from PSL for Season 5. Like in the rules of the PSL, do not sign up to PSL if you do not plan to be active.

RE: Frexaz

Situation: Frexaz decided to withdraw from PSL.

After Kanzo's decision to substitute Frexaz out in Week 3, Frexaz announced he won't be playing in PSL anymore. I PM'd him to make sure this is his final stance regarding to this and Frexaz just left the PM. I gave Kanzo time to discuss stuff with Frexaz before making the sellback and eventually Kanzo has decided to sellback Frexaz.

You can honestly think whatever you want from your manager's any decision but by the PSL rules a player must always respect their manager's decision. This kind of behavior is against the ethics of the PSL and just overall completely unacceptable and unsportmanlike behavior.

Result: Kanzo will get a sellback from Frexaz and 11.250 credits for midseason auction. Frexaz will be blacklisted from Season 5 of the PSL.

RE: LightLeaks

Situation: LightLeaks doesn't want to play.

Apparently I was wrong. LightLeaks did mean he doesn't want to play.

LightLeaks PM'd Eggplant saying that if he's not allowed to play NU next week he doesn't want to play. Eggplant didn't allow LightLeaks to play NU and after the match with Elcoolio LightLeaks said he no longer wants to play in PSL. I have enough screenshot evidence to come to a clear conclusion about this.

Do I even need to tell what I think about this kind of behavior? Just pathetic.

Result: Eggplant gets a sellback from LightLeaks and gets 3.250 for midseason auction. LightLeaks will be banned from PSL Season's 5 and 6. Not only does this go against "respect your manager's decision at all times" but this is just flat out sabotaging your own PSL team by trying to manipulate your manager.

RE: Raaidn vs Legendl

Situation: Week 3 match Raaidn vs Legendl wasn't played.

Raaidn PM'd Legendl on Tuesday that he can play on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday on 9-11 PM GMT. Legendl responds only that Saturday any hour works for him. Raaidn responds that Sunday is better for him but 1-2 PM GMT would work on him on Saturday. Legendl did not take this Saturday hour Raaidn was free to play. On Sunday I saw Raaidn in Vermillion 7 for basically the whole Sunday while Legendl was nowhere to be seen.

Neglecting 3 days completely without giving any other time in any of these while giving one day a week isn't good activity. Meanwhile Raaidn was able to play every day from Tuesday to Sunday (excluding Friday, which was not discussed either way). However, Raaidn's activity was far more notable than Legend's one.

Generally I might note that one must notify their opposing manager of inactivity but I won't this time. Legendl read Raaidn's PMs and hit back with a time of his own but failed to respond to Raaidn's times throughout the week and not wanting to even take the suggested hour Raaidn gave to him about Saturday. No much Raaidn could have done differently.

Result: Raaidn gets an activity win.

RE: Sleepy vs Cressman

Situation: Week 4 match Sleepy vs Cressman wasn't played.

Cressman and Sleepy started to schedule their match in the beginning of Week 4 but somehow 10 days went without either two contacting anything to each other about the match. On last Saturday Cressman and Sleepy decided they'll try to play on Sunday but Sleepy couldn't make it.

Activity decision wise if you're trying to schedule a match this late, it's always gonna be too little too late. Always use the maximum effort to schedule your match throughout the whole week and showcase it in order to have a good position when making the activity call.

Result: Sleepy vs Cressman is declared a no-contest.

• 2 weeks later...

RE: Dededoge vs GBush

Situation: Dededoge disconnect in the very early of his match, GBush couldn't rebattle because he had to go so he took the win.

This is a GBush's win if he so wishes. Disconnecting during a match is a loss no matter what because, otherwise this could be "abused". GBush might have known he was a favorite to win, therefor a rematch wouldn't even be justified. However, by the information he knows Octillery manager Greck said he wishes to see a rematch. Because this match happened late in the week it's understandable GBush cannot rebattle him. Because PSL is all about battling I have given an extension to this battle and because this match determines the season for one team.

Result: Dededoge vs. GBush will be given 72 hour extension to complete their battle. If the match is failed to be played, GBush will remain as the winner because he did win the match. This is just a way to done the match by battling if GBush so wishes because he didn't have enough time to schedule another time.

RE: Goldeneyes vs Frags

Situation: Goldeneyes vs. Frags was failed to be played.

Goldeneyes and Frags scheduled to battle at 5 PM EST on Saturday. Goldeneyes turned up but Frags didn't. Hours later Frags sent a PM to me, Linken and Golden explaining why he wasn't able to make it, apologized for inconveniences and that is always appreciated. 

Result: The no-show happened so late in the week so not much could be done anymore. Goldeneyes gets the win.

RE: timwaps vs. Nohte

Situation: Timwaps vs. Nohte was failed to be played.

Not much to say about this one. Not much at all happened in their scheduling PM one way or the another.

Result: Timwaps vs. Nohte is declared a no-contest.

RE: Dededoge vs GBush extension

Situation: I gave an optional extension for GBush vs dededoge.

I gave an optional extension for a really important match GBush vs dededoge because I understood that the reason GBush didn't want to give a rematch was because he had to leave. Now that this match does not matter anymore because Octillerys have a guaranteed spot in playoffs and The Legion is guaranteed to be out of the playoffs, this extension is rather pointless. I want to both players use their full effort to play the Week 7 match.

Result: The 72 hour extension is voided and GBush remains as the winner because his opponent disconnected.

Alright, time to conclude the regular series officially.

RE: GoldenSunIsaac vs eloyriptor 

Situation: GoldenSunIsaac vs eloyriptor was failed to be played.

I happen to enough about this match to call this match. It doesn't affect on anything anymore because The Legion got their 5th win of the week but just calling this sportsmanship wise.

Eloyriptor started out really strong the PM by listing a lot of diverse times he can battle. I was added to the PM because GoldenSunIsaac was not responding anything. GoldenSunIsaac responded on Thursday, when most of the suggested times by eloyriptor were already past. However, after shooting some times I noticed 1 PM EST Saturday were fine for both so I suggested they will play the match on that time. Eloy had said he has to leave after 2 PM EST, though.

Some 5 minutes before 1 PM EST GoldenSunIsaac was in Vermillion 7 waiting and he already asked me what happens if eloyriptor doesn't show up and mentioned this is the only time he can play. I just vaguely said something like "If he is a no-show it won't look good in his activity call". Some three minutes past 1 PM EST GoldenSunIsaac left Vermillion 7 and wrote in the PSL weekly thread "eloy didn't show up, rip". Some 20 minutes past 1 PM EST eloyriptor logs in and forum PMs GoldenSunIsaac that he is waiting for him, now GoldenSunIsaac isn't responding. I write in the PM that I'm not letting him to clinch a win like this to The Legion when they were up 4-0 and this match "has to be played" and I said that I consider that GoldenSunIsaac is match avoiding now for logging off that quickly. About 2 PM EST GoldenSunIsaac responds that he is online now waiting. Unfortunately eloyriptor had left by now, just like he stated in the PM.

Logging off three minutes after the scheduled time on a week where you have been not responding the first half of the week at all is match-avoiding to me in every way I look at it. Especially when I said to GoldenSunIsaac I won't let him to take a win like that he suddenly was able to log in - at the time eloyriptor stated he had to go. It's just impossible to not see through this.

Some hilariousness occurred when I said that I won't allow GoldenSunIsaac to log off three minutes past the scheduled time like that and he claimed that I was lying about the time he logged off. Trying to claim that I am lying isn't really a winning strategy because, y'know.... I am the host and the referee about this. That might work on someone else, though, who knows. If you were to argue me maybe try to convince next time that I made a mistake or something but for me to convince that I am lying is actually quite funny. But no, I was in Vermillion 7 all along and I did look at what is happening carefully. Later in the PM Kanzo said a few not so happy words to Isaac and he defended himself with "Fine, you can have the win - why are you still bothering me about this?". 

Yeah.... I wonder why.

Result: Eloyriptor gets a win by early week activity and GoldenSunIsaac's match avoiding especially at the time of the scheduled match. GoldenSunIsaac gets a yellow card from the PSL for match-avoidance. This yellow card won't affect on anything on this season anymore because The Legion's season has ended but this shall remain as a warning to future seasons and remains as an example of how not to sportsmanship in the PSL.

RE: All the other Week 7 matches

Situation: There were other matches that were failed to be played.

I gave about 18 hours time to ask for an activity call from the last matches. No one contacted me and because these matches do not matter I'm not going on a forum PM spree to find out what happened.

Result: All the other matches are declared no-contests.