Proposal to Discontinue "Unknown OT" Tag for Shiny Pokémon Breeding in PokéMMO (for aesthetics)

MightyMichele

Question

hi, I'd like to both suggest and open a discussion regarding a proposal to discontinue the "Unknown OT" tag for shiny Pokémon bred by players. The suggestion involves enforcing a system where only the original catcher of a shiny Pokémon can breed it. Shiny Pokémon bred by players other than the original catcher would be prevented from breeding with Pokémon that exclude the original catcher as the OT. When the original catcher breeds a shiny Pokémon, the offspring should carry the breeder's OT.

I highlight that the "Unknown OT" tag may seem peculiar at first glance, and having a trainer name associated with it could add an aesthetically pleasing touch to the game.

Best regards, 

mightymichele

Edited by MightyMichele

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, XanarchyNL said:

It doesn't seem like a particularly well-thought-out idea not gonna lie. Too many disturbing consequences for the shiny economy. Killing off an entire market and mechanic for no reason at all.

Hey XanarchyNL, 

Just aesthetics! require only 1 with Ot, they still could breed! 

I don't see this how to kill breed shiny in various aspects. I would make a analogy with trade evolution. They have worked out within our game for long years, although they have their issues (scam etc.).  Likewise, if the players needed OT to breed, I see the players chatting with each other in order for get it. 

Thank you for your response.

Edited by MightyMichele
2 minutes ago, MightyMichele said:

just aesthetics, 

it will not kill breed shiny, require only 1 be your ot

Aesthetics for who? Just so you don't have to see the words Unknown OT again?
Because it's not for the dude who wants to play with a shiny Espeon competitively but doesn't want to spend 2 years hatching for it. 
Not for the breeder that breeds these rare comp shinies for profit.
Not for the player who doesn't care about his random rare shiny and would prefer some rare vanity but now can't sell it cause it can't be bred by someone other than him.

You're failing to consider a whole market ecosystem just so you don't have to see those 2 words again. 

53 minutes ago, XanarchyNL said:

Aesthetics for who? Just so you don't have to see the words Unknown OT again?
Because it's not for the dude who wants to play with a shiny Espeon competitively but doesn't want to spend 2 years hatching for it. 
Not for the breeder that breeds these rare comp shinies for profit.
Not for the player who doesn't care about his random rare shiny and would prefer some rare vanity but now can't sell it cause it can't be bred by someone other than him.

You're failing to consider a whole market ecosystem just so you don't have to see those 2 words again. 

I understand your point, but it is not preventing a rich player from buy the shiny. The original trainer should breed it and sell it. I assume he could make friends with the Original trainer and ask him to fix the shiny along the time. As for the breeder, he needs to maintain relation ship with the original trainer in order to finish his breed.

thank you very much for your response

Edited by MightyMichele
2 minutes ago, MightyMichele said:

I understand your point, but it is not preventing a rich player from buy the shiny. The original trainer should breed it and sell it.

This just fully ignores all 3 examples I gave you. 
Rich PvPer no buy rare shiny if not PvP-ready. 
PvP rare shiny breeder out of business cause only OT can breed shiny
A dude with rare shiny that just wants cash can't sell shiny as neither the PvP player or the shiny breeder will buy it. Also does not have 40 million to comp breed. 

All 3 players unhappy. 
Michele happy cause cant see words unknown OT. 

9 hours ago, XanarchyNL said:

PvP rare shiny breeder out of business cause only OT can breed shiny

In this situation, they need to check if the player is still playing the game, perhaps via email . 

It makes me think of us going to hunt our own ot eventually due to the challanges to breed it.

thank you for your commentaries

Edited by MightyMichele
3 minutes ago, MightyMichele said:

In this situation, they need to check if the player is still playing the game, you could ask him via email to rebreed it for you.

Bit of a ridiculous notion. You even bring up counter-arguments to your suggestion as to why it won't work. Players quitting, language barriers, scamming issues and removing a whole playstyle from the game.

4 minutes ago, MightyMichele said:

makes us to hunt shiny with our own ot.

Again very one-dimensional thinking. Not everyone cares about OT. Some people just want to play with some cool-looking shiny without having to spend years hunting for one or spend weeks trying to find the OT if they're even active at all. Not everyone plays the game like you do. Let people play the game how they want and stop trying to suggest restrictions to it. 

31 minutes ago, XanarchyNL said:

You even bring up counter-arguments to your suggestion as to why it won't work. Players quitting, language barriers, scamming issues and removing a whole playstyle from the game.

I consider these details as a grow. Firstly, if a player scammed other , in trade evolution for example, they are reported. Secondly, if a player speaks in other language, you shouldn't buy his shiny with the hyphotesis that you would need further contact to breed, you should buy from a friendly player that can communicate in your language.

I think that you got your point and you are not wrong on that. But it is important to understand that all these problems indicated are not too harsh. They can be workarounded. Thank you again!

Edited by MightyMichele

To my understanding unknown OT is not something that should be removed and also if they restrict breeding with OT.
Would someone who wants a 5x31 shiny have to search for all their shinys? ,because from what I understood it would have to be with the same OT in order to breed.
And if you want a shiny with an aesthetic OT, you can look for one of your own so you don't look at the Unknown OT.

Unknown OT is the greatest shunter of a time we should only give him praise for he has no equal and no weak  , a relentless and selfless figure for the whole shiny community to look up to , hiding his ot from not only all his shinys but erase all his hard work from the shiny hunting history books is nothing less then a disgrace!!!1!!!

I do not approve of this suggestion.

I think "Stop showing Unknown OT label" and "make it so that only the OT can breed it" are two different suggestions.

I heavily disagree with the latter, I don't really see the point of that.

Just sounds like an idea you came up with to help implement the former -- and not actually the primary point of what you want to accomplish.

Now, let us discuss, for aesthetics, the simple removal of "Unknown OT" label.

We must ask, if we don't show "Unknown OT", what do we show?

the name of the dude who found the shiny?

or the name of the dude who did the breed?

the current "unknown OT" implementation feels like they just predicted that the "OT" involved in a breed, who doesn't get picked for display, will feel like they got shafted.

So they just pick the solution where nobody is happy, so at least it's fair.

But we could just actually pick to shaft one side, in favor of the other.

And in this scenario, my choice is to display the name of the dude who found the shiny.

You can already only pass shininess down same species via the mother anyways. just pass the OT along.

And then, if it's bred, add the notorious asterisk to show that some other dude pumped a bunch of money into it to upgrade its IVs.

I agree with Xanarchy... This Change would cause some ,,problems" to many parts of the Game/Eco/Players.

By now its common knowledge that you have to be build different If you consider yourself a shiny Hunter 😄

So i feel like the Unknown OT tag should stay... Isn't pretty...get that...but its still a shiny right? So embrace it or sell it If Unknown OT triggers that mutch ^^