The Physical/Special Split

Whats the point of playing a shitty version of showdown? Because thats what it seems like they are striding for.

I will admit that I am against a split at the moment. I just don't see the point of a preemptive strike against the game with one.

Sure, it will mix up a lot of stuff and make lots of my own comps worth a lot less. But on the other side, why not wait to add gen 4 moves with the split? Or wait to do the split until you can do so? Wouldn't that make more sense? I liked the quirks of gen 3 since this was the only thing that I could play with that. And I dont see why just emerald could have the split and not the fire red area of the map. 

PS- All hidden power moves will be changed to special.

Dude, we get secret bases, why would you even waste your time battling?

guys pls ... 3rd time I ask. tumblr_inline_mo11adyB4w1qz4rgp.gif  just looking for small confirmation if I am using the right calc (DPP) or not for the new pokes here is all. I think I am, but just wanted to be sure.

The split will be like Gen 4, but PokeMMO has slight modifications. I never played past Gen 3 on the handhelds before and really only played Gen 6+ on Showdown, but these are some the things that may be different.

1. Hidden Power is base 70

2. Sandstorm does not provide a special defense boost to rock types

3. Outrage is base 90

Darkshade made a post about updating the vast majority of our moves to Gen 4 standards so I imagine that is the correct calc to use. 

The split will be like Gen 4, but PokeMMO has slight modifications. I never played past Gen 3 on the handhelds before and really only played Gen 6+ on Showdown, but these are some the things that may be different.

1. Hidden Power is base 70
2. Sandstorm does not provide a special defense boost to rock types
3. Outrage is base 90

Darkshade made a post about updating the vast majority of our moves to Gen 4 standards so I imagine that is the correct calc to use.

I don't see this being like gen 4 without the moves. It looks like bad version of showdown without them.

That's me though.

Shiwduwn is a lot less grinding and a lot better with all the moves. Is ckoyster getting it's abilities? I hope so but I doubt it.

I don't see this being like gen 4 without the moves. It looks like bad version of showdown without them.

That's me though.

Shiwduwn is a lot less grinding and a lot better with all the moves. Is ckoyster getting it's abilities? I hope so but I doubt it.

The mechanics excel, the mechanics. The point is to make this game different from anything else out there. Similarly to how it is now, this change will only make it even more unique compared to our competition, which will thus drive players to check it out. 

And again, quit being so negative. Just sit back and enjoy what's happening. You said so yourself that you're looking forward to the change. This change will also bring about the inclusion of Gen 4 abilities, items, and moves over time. This is a game that takes time and progress to develop. We get a nice taste here. Let's not look like spoiled brats and ask for the entire bag of candy. 

The mechanics excel, the mechanics. The point is to make this game different from anything else out there. Similarly to how it is now, this change will only make it even more unique compared to our competition, which will thus drive players to check it out.

And again, quit being so negative. Just sit back and enjoy what's happening. You said so yourself that you're looking forward to the change. This change will also bring about the inclusion of Gen 4 abilities, items, and moves over time. This is a game that takes time and progress to develop. We get a nice taste here. Let's not look like spoiled brats and ask for the entire bag of candy.

I understand that but without the moves and abilities I'm looking at candy from last Halloween. And then being forced to eat it. There's a difference. If Nintendo included the moves for a reason and the split what makes us think we're better then them?

Think about it like this: we have the older players like us that never got to experience the split and those that never got to experience before it.

What is jumping out saying hey I want to put them both together and see how it goes? The majority of the people that play this don't play after the split. I feel like we're losing a lot of our base people and won't gain any after it.

The split is better with everything but waiting another 6 months, 12 who knows how long. Is it worth it to stay now? And its bad when I have a lot of people talking to me in game but few will speak on here because how I am getting bashed. I am not the only one by a long shot.

Going with all the candy or showing us the candy and saying hey this is where it will be in 6 months are the only 2 options I see a lot of people staying. If we do this without going all a lot of people gonna leave.

We still have things to look forward to like dungeons legends etc. Even if we add everything now.

I understand that but without the moves and abilities I'm looking at candy from last Halloween. And then being forced to eat it. There's a difference. If Nintendo included the moves for a reason and the split what makes us think we're better then them?

Think about it like this: we have the older players like us that never got to experience the split and those that never got to experience before it.

What is jumping out saying hey I want to put them both together and see how it goes? The majority of the people that play this don't play after the split. I feel like we're losing a lot of our base people and won't gain any after it.

The split is better with everything but waiting another 6 months, 12 who knows how long. Is it worth it to stay now? And its bad when I have a lot of people talking to me in game but few will speak on here because how I am getting bashed. I am not the only one by a long shot.

Going with all the candy or showing us the candy and saying hey this is where it will be in 6 months are the only 2 options I see a lot of people staying. If we do this without going all a lot of people gonna leave.

We still have things to look forward to like dungeons legends etc. Even if we add everything now.

Yeah, out of everyone I have talked to on my team and just on my friends list. The people who are not on the fence are against it and some aren't quitting the game. Just quitting comp. What about changing this entire meta with a split? Everyone who waited for the implemented pokes from gen 3 that were missing is now getting screwed. Besides there's been no mention of the johto starters but the priority to change a ton of moves and breeding first to delay hoenn. Wow.

I like this response. You're not being bashed by the player base for being "sorta" against the changes, you're being bashed because of the way you present it. You bring about slight hostility in your posts, but this one was clear cut and to the point. Avoid the emotion and you'll receive likewise feedback. 

It's going to be weird at first. And you know what, we aren't better than Nintendo, but we do want to be unique. The game is going to be ever changing with the vision laid forth by the developers. Whether they get excited and spill their load over a little physical/special split, or wait to pop on the whole bag, it makes no matter. What does matter is that we continue to adapt and be the best at what we do. Compete in a unique pokemon experience that is not only fun, but engaging.

A teammate said it to me best, this game is not about the competitive scene but rather about the comraderie and companionship you make along the way. Being the best is great and all, but it's nothing without some people to enjoy it with. So grab your buddies and explore this new region and these new moves, and learn how to be the best again, together. 

i dunno why you would want to avoid the split another 6months or even a year, that would mean all the work you put in with new breeding system ( sacking parents ), was for nothing.

its better to have it now imo, and its definitly a good move in the long run, as it keeps the 'pressure' on devs to add new moves/pokes/abilities and all that comes with it.

To say something positive about the split: once it's done with we don't have to worry about it happening again. So this is a one time thing (I think).

It's nice to see new things for sure, but I was originally drawn to this game because I wanted to train those old school pokemon I saw on tv when I was a kid. It's "bittersweet" for me. tumblr_inline_mo11apndbO1qz4rgp.gif

[spoiler]

1552.jpg

[/spoiler]

Edited by bl0nde

k fine but we both know jesus is going to come back before we get anything from 4th gen

have you not seen nik cages new movie? it already started.

but srs note, just read this whole thread and moving to 4th still sounds good to me as long as the pokemon/moves become available. we need to do this to get jhoto anyways after hoen so it's a question of when not if.

This is just terrible news. I haven't been in the game since September and was glad to be back. I found many people, including myself investing in pokemons with certain hidden powers. Those hidden powers often covered for not perfect ivs. And what now, it will all become trash? I don't think any of that should be implemented until we get gen 4 moves and abilities.

This is just terrible news. I haven't been in the game since September and was glad to be back. I found many people, including myself investing in pokemons with certain hidden powers. Those hidden powers often covered for not perfect ivs. And what now, it will all become trash? I don't think any of that should be implemented until we get gen 4 moves and abilities.

More people need to speak out. This is a terrible idea if the moves abilities are not added. The update can wait another month if that's how long it takes.

More people need to speak out. This is a terrible idea if the moves abilities are not added. The update can wait another month if that's how long it takes.

Whoa there. Don't give Desu, or Kyu anymore ideas.  Hoenn hype train will turn into something nasty if it waits much longer. Eta's are deadly.

The problem is that most people aren't upset because the special/physical split makes the game (almost) objectively more fun. Yeah, it sucks to lose HP Bug/Ghost/Ground but most physical sweepers (except Fighting types) get physical STAB to make up for this. For example, Azumarill, Gyarados, Cloyster,  Arcanine, Absol, Hitmonlee and Sneasel get big bonuses in the form of coverage moves and make up for their previous lack of a movepool. Your own benefit or loss from the update shouldn't factor in whether it's good for the game and good for gameplay- most older players are going to lose money by losing their physical HP pokemon but we all stand to gain a lot from the split (and eventual introduction of Gen IV moves/abilities).

In the mean time, Pursuit is a huge bonus for clearing ghosts/psychics which means losing HP ghost isn't even going to be that big of a deal.

The problem is that most people aren't upset because the special/physical split makes the game (almost) objectively more fun. Yeah, it sucks to lose HP Bug/Ghost/Ground but most physical sweepers (except Fighting types) get physical STAB to make up for this. For example, Azumarill, Gyarados, Cloyster, Arcanine, Absol, Hitmonlee and Sneasel get big bonuses in the form of coverage moves and make up for their previous lack of a movepool. Your own benefit or loss from the update shouldn't factor in whether it's good for the game and good for gameplay- most older players are going to lose money by losing their physical HP pokemon but we all stand to gain a lot from the split (and eventual introduction of Gen IV moves/abilities).

In the mean time, Pursuit is a huge bonus for clearing ghosts/psychics which means losing HP ghost isn't even going to be that big of a deal.

The problem is your judging me. Ask the community do your job. Like I said I want the split but with the gen 4 moves. Stop picking apart my words.

The problem is your judging me. Ask the community do your job. Like I said I want the split but with the gen 4 moves. Stop picking apart my words.

lol I'm not judging you, I'm just pointing out the facts. If you don't want your works to be picked apart then don't post them because the whole point of this is to have a discussion. Telling me to stop picking apart your argument is the same thing as saying "I don't actually want to discuss anything." 

Nonetheless, we all want 4th gen stuff, it'll just be a while til we get it. In the meantime, I just gave you like 10 pokemon that will fare pretty well with the changes we are getting. Oh and Blaziken's gonna be a monster with no Salamence to stop it!

lol I'm not judging you, I'm just pointing out the facts. If you don't want your works to be picked apart then don't post them because the whole point of this is to have a discussion. Telling me to stop picking apart your argument is the same thing as saying "I don't actually want to discuss anything." 

Nonetheless, we all want 4th gen stuff, it'll just be a while til we get it. In the meantime, I just gave you like 10 pokemon that will fare pretty well with the changes we are getting. Oh and Blaziken's gonna be a monster with no Salamence to stop it!

Omg I am so in love with that fighting chicken now. I was doing calcs and he is a beast. Dev plz dont ever implement speed boost on him.

So we can implement a split in a couple days but can't do the moves? That's amazing logic. Why does it seem the split would be harder to add?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.