The Physical/Special Split

Let's get Physical! ...And also Special.

Following the changes in the upcoming update, the idea of implementing the Physical/Special Split is being taken into the consideration.

What is Physical/Special Split?
First we need to understand what “Physical” and “Special” damage is.
Your Pokemon have two attacking stats and two defensive stats that are used to calculate how much damage is inflicted or received. These are Attack, Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defense. Whether a move uses your Pokemon's Attack or Special Attack stat (and the opponent's Defense or Special Defense) to calculate damage is determined by whether the move is Physical or Special.
Prior to Generation III this was allocated to moves according to their type; fighting type moves are always physical and water-type moves are always special.
From Generation IV onward each move is treated individually as either Physical or Special and this is known as the Physical/Special Split.

The purpose of this thread is for community feedback on the matter, as this will naturally greatly impact the competitive environment. This includes working out whether certain Generation IV moves/items/abilities are necessary for balance.

There is also the potential to perform the Physical/Special changes now and add the other 4th generation staples at a later time.

Discuss.

EDIT:

As of the 4th of January 2015 the Private Test Server has been updated to include the Physical/Special split.

Various debug commands have been made available for users to help further test the meta game.

These commands include:

/debuggivemoney <amount> - For giving yourself a maximum of 10,000,000 in cash. (This can be used to purchase vitamins)

/debugsetability - For changing a Pokemons ability
/debugsetlevel <party_slot_id> <value> -  (PARTY SLOT ID STARTS AT 0). For setting the level of a Pokemon (doesn't support deleveling)
/debugsetnature - For setting the nature of a Pokemon
/debugsetskill - For setting any move a Pokemon is able to learn

/debugsetivs <party_slot_id> <hp> <attack> <defense> <speed> <special_attack> <special_defense> - For adjusting the IVs on a Pokemon.

These commands are to be typed into the chatbox, and submitted by pressing enter.

Some may require relogging to take effect.

A Pokemon's entire learnset is able to be viewed in the Pokedex.

Go crazy.

Edited by Darkshade

How long would it take to be implemented? Else we would just be spending all of our time breeding  for the special/physical meta, versus the meta that is coming in this update. Seems obnoxious knowing we will have to scrap comps/waste breeders if this change comes about.

That largely depends on what is required for balance.

i.e Do we require the Generation IV moves or items etc.

are gen 4 pokes an option or are we just talking changing gen 3 mechanics to have a split here

cause kinda hard to figure out an meta we never had before i guess

not that i have a clue anyways

Edited by Quakkz

I love how this is being considered! However, a few things need to be remembered;

-Physical attackers that rely on a specific Hidden Power for one of their commonly-used moves will suffer greatly. Although Breloom doesn't get HP Ghost in later generations, it does get the ability Technician, which keeps it viable. This ability is currently not implemented in PokeMMO.

-Many moves in the later generations are also not currently implemented in PokeMMO, so attackers with shallow generation 3 move pools that rely on certain moves being physical or special (such as Alakazam, who relies on the elemental punches) will also suffer.

All in all, I really like the idea, and I could see this change leading to the implementation of later gen abilities and maybe even moves in the future.

Edited by Kiliminati

If we're at implementating future gen mechanisms, 130 BP HJK, 120 BP Outrage 65 BP Knock off that doubles when foe holds an item look really threatening. Also implementing Brave Bird (CB guts Swellow pls) and sucker punch might totally shake the meta. 130 BP HJK would probably break the meta all by itself. Also physical Pursuit, fuark. Oh and most important- Stealth Rock. I don't really know, this delivers a lot of changes. Looks extremly enticing and interesting though, I'd be up for it. Fuarrrrkkkk 130 BP HJK from CB Adamant Medicham... pls

[spoiler]

Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick 130BP vs. 252/4+ Skarmory: 153-181 (88.9 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO[/spoiler]

CB D-nite? Dclaw, epunches?!

Choice Band Dragonite ThunderPunch vs. Skarmory: 83-98 (48.2 - 56.9%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Dragonite Fire Blast vs. Skarmory: 108-128 (62.7 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Dragonite Flamethrower vs. Skarmory: 86-102 (50 - 59.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Adamant CB Physical Thunderpunch is still worse than - 0 Sp.Att Dragonite Flamethrower against Skarmory.

Dragon Claw is legit though, better than HP Flying.

That largely depends on what is required for balance.

i.e Do we require the Generation IV moves or items etc.

So what do you expect the players to do in the mean time then? Do you expect to use our time and resources on something that can completely change in a few weeks/months. Then all this update will be is us preparing for the next update rather than enjoying this one. I really dont think thats how MMO should work.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.