The Physical/Special Split

I would love to see the split made. Yes, it would radically change the metagame. Is this a bad thing? No, especially not right now. It would encourage people to eat their godly Pokemon in favor of a choice move set or better spread. This very well could be the level playing field factor that keeps both classes of players active in the system.

Mechanically it could work very well with a few slight changes. I would recommend that Steel is coded to resist Dragon right off the bat, otherwise we will see the Gen 4 Dragon syndrome where anything with a Dragon-type STAB is shoved to Ubers. While I don't think this would be too terrible all things considered, it would generally have a nice balancing effect imo.  Ban The Dragons!

I would really love to see this. It just makes so much more sense with everything PokeMMO is doing right now, and will help new players acclimate more easily into what they know.  

Edited by BenGorgon

As exciting as the idea may be i think that no matter how much discussion we have if you were to rush this into the next update it will cause many problems. Idk what kind of problems it will cause but i know that it will cause them. Imo the best thing to do is move forward with the update, leave this open for discussion, lead TS discussions about this with the tier counsils, and if what amanue says is possible

Thinknice did something like this in the other game, but we can use showdown to experiment with the things proposed here. If enough people are willing to try, we can set up tourneys, or just duel over there with whatever mechanic or changes we would want in Pokemmo.

then do this. Maybe you can even hold cash prize or godly breeder poke prize tournies using this method to get ppl willing to test it. If you dont want to use showdown then you can use the PTS (Spawning us the pokes we need ofc) 

I would love to see the split made. Yes, it would radically change the metagame. Is this a bad thing? No, especially not right now. It would encourage people to eat their godly Pokemon in favor of a choice move set or better spread. This very well could be the level playing field factor that keeps both classes of players active in the system.

Mechanically it could work very well with a few slight changes. I would recommend that Steel is coded to resist Dragon right off the bat, otherwise we will see the Gen 4 Dragon syndrome where anything with a Dragon-type STAB is shoved to Ubers. While I don't think this would be too terrible all things considered, it would generally have a nice balancing effect imo.

I would really love to see this. It just makes so much more sense with everything PokeMMO is doing right now, and will help new players acclimate more easily into what they know.  

Steel already resists Dragon, and I have no idea why you were under the impression they didn't.

As exciting as the idea may be i think that no matter how much discussion we have if you were to rush this into the next update it will cause many problems. Idk what kind of problems it will cause but i know that it will cause them. Imo the best thing to do is move forward with the update, leave this open for discussion, lead TS discussions about this with the tier counsils, and if what amanue says is possible

then do this. Maybe you can even hold cash prize or godly breeder poke prize tournies using this method to get ppl willing to test it. If you dont want to use showdown then you can use the PTS (Spawning us the pokes we need ofc) 

You're implying that TS discussions haven't already happened, m8. The point of this thread is to find the problems it will cause.

Edited by Senile

As for what other mechanics could be added. I think that team preview would help out a lot. With the split a lot of pokes are going to gain a lot of power. Senile said that one reason why they are able to have all of those unwallable powerhouses in l8er gens is bc with the team preview you are able to see from the beginning what pokes on ur team you need to keep alive for their which pokes.

As for what other mechanics could be added. I think that team preview would help out a lot. With the split a lot of pokes are going to gain a lot of power. Senile said that one reason why they are able to have all of those unwallable powerhouses in l8er gens is bc with the team preview you are able to see from the beginning what pokes on ur team you need to keep alive for their which pokes.

It's more complicated than that, really. Anyway, team preview was 5th gen+, and it was incredibly important in 5th gen because knowing what weather your opponent's team used was a big deal.

We really don't need it.

Senile is right, I saw him, Darkshade, and Tyrone chatting about it in my channel. I am predicting that the split is very likely to happen. RIP: HP Ghost Ursaring, HP Flying Mance, and HP Ghost Breloom

i want this cuz im selfish and my comps are already outdated anyway

I dont really think it oudates too many comps. The major ones I can think of are, crunch/pursuit snorlax, timid houndoom and like Crunch ursaring. You can still add the elemental punches/tms to them like most other pokes. I still stay rich, and does this really shorten the gap between new and old players?

Edited by KingBowser

Not all comps would become out of date. Most can just be re EVd and Re movesetted. Physical HP pokes would obvio be rip. E punch zam (which lets face it who uses zam anyway) would prolly do with jsut a new move set. Snorlaxes everwhere will prolly have to be rebred tho. You need crunch instead of Sball which i believe would have to be bred into him.

Wow way to ninja me Bowser.

Edited by codylramey

Senile is right, I saw him, Darkshade, and Tyrone chatting about it in my channel. I am predicting that the split is very likely to happen. RIP: HP Ghost Ursaring, HP Flying Mance, and HP Ghost Breloom

Ursaring would be able to use Crunch, way better than hp ghost.
Snorlax maybe be a ubers assets, fire punch, crunch ( not sure if it can learn pursuit in this game, but pursuit lax would be a thing to watch out)

Another thing to consider is that each update helps keep the game fresh for older players. After a while of playing any game will get stale. Then when you update you have new things to explore. Breeding was one of the biggest, it was a game changer in so many ways. Now we are going to have hoenn do that yet again. If you implement this split in this update you are giving up an opportunity to freshen the game up a bit for older players. Instead of aving Hoenn to change the game and then in a year pr two Spcl physical split to change the game yet again we will be getting it all at the same time, experience it all at once, and get bored of it all at once.

I hope that makes since. I know its not a very strong argument against it but i thought it was worth pointing out. 

Edited by codylramey

Ok srs Dclaw though

252+ Atk Choice Band Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 217-256 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and after just 1 layer of spikes

252+ Atk Choice Band Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 217-256 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

Ok srs Dclaw though

252+ Atk Choice Band Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 217-256 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 217-256 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

mence would be banned. He was banned in gen 4 and im sure they had more to deal with him than we do.

Ok srs Dclaw though

That's a wrong calc, by a little bit though.

Choice Band Salamence Dragon Claw (just change HP Flying in gen 3 calcs to 80 BP and you get the same thing) vs. Vaporeon: 113-133 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Choice Band Salamence Dragon Claw vs. Vaporeon: 113-133 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

Edited by YagamiNoir4896

mence would be banned. He was banned in gen 4 and im sure they had more to deal with him than we do.

Dragonite 1 less atk stat, and the results are the same.

Drago wasn't banned in Gen 4.

Are we just gunna go around banning several pokes?

Not to mention how thunderpunch metagross might be

That's a wrong calc, by a little bit though.

Choice Band Salamence Dragon Claw (just change HP Flying in gen 3 calcs to 80 BP and you get the same thing) vs. Vaporeon: 113-133 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Choice Band Salamence Hidden Power Flying vs. Vaporeon: 113-133 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

Ok ty man, even proving my point further m8

Edited by magorax

Not unless we're getting the entirety of gen 4, otherwise keep that sort of shit out. People will have enough of a challenge just getting the few new competitive Pokemon being introduced to their respective tiers after this update because of how difficult breeding is now. Now we have to rebreed and re-ev the old ones too?

Edited by Herpetology

Except for the part where we don't have base 120 Outrage, AKA "The Move That Made Dragons Broken In 4th Gen"

(basically, that's a really bad comparison. that's not the only reason the comparison is bad, but outrage is a pretty big reason)

Except for the part where we don't have base 120 Outrage, AKA "The Move That Made Dragons Broken In 4th Gen"

(basically, that's a really bad comparison. that's not the only reason the comparison is bad, but outrage is a pretty big reason)

Oh i didnt realize that it was outrage that got him banned. That would explain why dnite was able to stay.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.