[Discussion]Tyranitar [Banned from "OU" to Ubers]

Idk on metagross, maybe, seeing as it pretty difficult to breed hp grass on it.
Personally think dragonite is way scarier than salamence. Dragonite can really take down any poke and gets thunderpunch. Check on the calcs on that. Salamence was a decent check to dragonite last update, lost that, and it gets stab physical d-claw. So Idk how you can think this can stay in ou. Then we lost two of our biggest punishers to running a dugtrio, making dugtrio have less consequences for bring it in. Then what the hell is gonna check heracross with no dnite/salamence/dugtrio. Weezing is like gonna be the only legit thing. Im not against these bans, just forewarning what will come. 

Yeah, I don't really mind if they ban Dragonite and Dugtrio soon (although I believe both of them could stay, sure they will be top tier, but there has to be a point where the council draws the line at deciding what to ban). Anything beyond those two however is a no-no in my opinion.

Page dedicated to the now R.I.P. T-tar, gj Lion hue.

Edited by Kiliminati

Yeah, I don't really mind if they ban Dragonite and Dugtrio soon (although I believe both of them could stay, sure they will be top tier, but there has to be a point where the council draws the line at deciding what to ban). Anything beyond those two however is a no-no in my opinion.

Page dedicated to the now R.I.P. T-tar, gj Lion hue.

AFAIK we're not banning anything til we get to see the meta develop a bit more. It was pretty obvious from Oceanic (apparently, I wasn't there) that Tyranitar was 2gud and was going to stop the development of the metagame in a pretty major way since it can just crunch everything into oblivion. 

I think we really just need to get Darkshade to gib Fairy type so there is actually a counter to Dragon Spam, because Dragons were always op in 4th/5th gen. Or we at least need some more Steel types that are actually usable.

AFAIK we're not banning anything til we get to see the meta develop a bit more. It was pretty obvious from Oceanic (apparently, I wasn't there) that Tyranitar was 2gud and was going to stop the development of the metagame in a pretty major way since it can just crunch everything into oblivion. 

I think we really just need to get Darkshade to gib Fairy type so there is actually a counter to Dragon Spam, because Dragons were always op in 4th/5th gen. Or we at least need some more Steel types that are actually usable.

meh wasn't that good. just a small group of players were complaining about it at the tourney. deserved the boot though imo.

Idk on metagross, maybe, seeing as it pretty difficult to breed hp grass on it.

Wasn't really difficult for me

Also about upcoming bans, don't forget Gyara, will prob get discussed as well.

Doe TTar's ban is totally deserved, I'm glad it happened quickly. Good job.

IMO Metagross and Dnite are far less obvious than Tyranitar. Dragonite also has the problem of not having the speed and no Intimidate that Salamence possesses, not to mention the special stat. Because of Dragonite's lack of speed it gets checked by a lot more stuff too making it more managable. Timid Magneton (Jolly Metagross) outpaces it as well as Heracross, Flygon, Gyarados and Slaking. Then you have the King of Tanks; Slowbro. Swampert, Skarmory and Forretress do well (although Skarmory and Forre are only effective against the CB set, which everyone runs anyway). Weezing can also take a few Dclaws, threaten with WoW and recover with Pain Split. As long as the meta develops in the way that doesn't make it easy for Dnite to come in it could maybe stay. It sure does have a lot more reliable checks than Sala.

As for Metagross it depends. CB Set is probably the most threatening, otherwise you are just trying your luck with Meteor Mash attack boost, which is not a good enough argument to ban it. Swampert totally walls it if no HP Grass (which will be rare) and Forretress walls it completely if no HP Fire (also helps that Metagross doesn't sync at all with Magneton). Even then things like Slowbro and Lanturn (top kek CB Meteor Mash/Thunderpunch) would do well against it. Gets checked by A LOT of stuff too. If we had Zapdos I could almost guarantee is staying OU.

Anyway I guess this thread is done.

As for Metagross it depends. CB Set is probably the most threatening, otherwise you are just trying your luck with Meteor Mash attack boost, which is not a good enough argument to ban it. Swampert totally walls it if no HP Grass (which will be rare) and Forretress walls it completely if no HP Fire (also helps that Metagross doesn't sync at all with Magneton). Even then things like Slowbro and Lanturn (top kek CB Meteor Mash/Thunderpunch) would do well against it. Gets checked by A LOT of stuff too. If we had Zapdos I could almost guarantee is staying OU.

Anyway I guess this thread is done.

How can you say that the CB set is the most threatening when it can gain +1 with a move and then freely attack with a move of it's own choice. Meteor Mash / EQ / Tpunch / HP Grass is a pretty great set to run and the only thing that could possible tank those would be forretress. None of the above pokemon can be listed as proper counters. It's mostly if or buts for all the pokemon you mentioned by which it gets checked by, which means that there's no way of knowing the set it runs and you'll probably need to build a defensive core against it to switch around and scout its attacks. And again, nothing is stopping this from spamming meteor mash and getting the boost. Given it's typing, it's able to switch in easily putting a lot of pressure on the opponent.

I agree with the bit about Dnite though.

Edited by NikhilR
  • Munya pinned this topic