UU Tier Discussion Request Thread

2 minutes ago, Rigamorty said:

@DoubleJ 

the thing about it in this case is that typhlosion dropped to UU by usage, so it's not like we'd put that off by a month for the sake of testing kanga, and leaving kanga around another month based on a usage drop would involve hoping something else doesn't drop again a month later to raise the same speculation 

Totally agree with the first statement and never did I want to postpone the Typhlosion drop. 

The second case is a sticky one and something that we couldn't account for. This is the first suspect test since we changed to a month to month update system and considering that we place ourselves in a burden of not knowing what the future holds. All in all, the changes seem extremely drastic to have all happened at once and I believe the TC could have waited at least 2-3 UU tournaments to watch Typhlosion. With access to tournament replays and the weekly community combat tournaments, I wouldn't expect it to take long for the TC to figure out if Typhlo needed an instant ban or not. A broken offensive poke is pretty easy to see.

27 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Totally agree with the first statement and never did I want to postpone the Typhlosion drop. 

The second case is a sticky one and something that we couldn't account for. This is the first suspect test since we changed to a month to month update system and considering that we place ourselves in a burden of not knowing what the future holds. All in all, the changes seem extremely drastic to have all happened at once and I believe the TC could have waited at least 2-3 UU tournaments to watch Typhlosion. With access to tournament replays and the weekly community combat tournaments, I wouldn't expect it to take long for the TC to figure out if Typhlo needed an instant ban or not. A broken offensive poke is pretty easy to see.

What you mentioned near the end there is still true. The kanga test will last a month, but it shouldn't take us nearly that long to see if typhlosion is truly as strong as some think it will be. If it comes out and just decimates the tier in the first UU official, we won't hesitate to take action (can't speak for everyone on council on this though) 

1 hour ago, fredrichnietze said:

he used to be in the council back in the day and quit in protest over something

Was there twice and left twice, unfortunately do to my own frustrations.

Spoiler

The first time I left was because Senile and ThinkNice really had too much power and the rest of the members would just get steam rolled with any and every decision. Any little bit of opposition and they were quick to squash that. Let's just say they were really good at persuading more timid members and also had the support of the staff at the time. 

The second time I left was because a few members began accusing me of fixing tiers when I won the UU tournament series after being hardheaded in banning Rhydon and Charizard the week before the finale. To add, I was also extremely frustrated when we had three council members per tier. Especially when Art and I were the only UU council members and despite recommending a third member, the position wasn't filled; leaving Art and I to take the majority of the flack with a messy tier. Then there was the great merger of 2015 which saw the tier council reformed into one whole council and a good number of us were fired for no apparent reason. Fortunately, OrangeManiac came to our defense and staff brought us back in, but after that I had already been pretty fed up and it was only a matter of time.

Overall, I really enjoyed being on the council and I miss it at times, but life is really freaking busy for me right now and I doubt they'd have me back after leaving twice.  

I mean kanga is exploitable as fuck, bring it back please. What I mean by this its that it is so much setup bait for a lot of pokes when it rests, and even some pokes can switch in on it without resting and dent something else. But Typhlosion is just a monster, everyone running same core just to not get swept by it (Lanturn+Clefable/Slowking). Isn't that overcentralizing? You could just basically spam specs/scarf eruption until you get a kill. 

Edited by BlackJovi
Added more reasoning.

also i should mention that typhlosion puts a fuckload of pressure on your team, because whether it's mixed or specs, it's definitely gonna dent something. i'd say it is pretty damn centralizing if i have to use like 3 pokes just to take on 1 poke, and even then, my 3 pokes can still be exploited by the rest of the other person's team because of the little counters there are to typhlosion.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

also i should mention that typhlosion puts a fuckload of pressure on your team, because whether it's mixed or specs, it's definitely gonna dent something. i'd say it is pretty damn centralizing if i have to use like 3 pokes just to take on 1 poke, and even then, my 3 pokes can still be exploited by the rest of the other person's team because of the little counters there are to typhlosion.

It's like sceptile all over again 

@DoubleJ

Sceptile was UU for 5 months before getting banned. It was clearly not a quick ban. Sceptile was also banned on the day of the tier update. It was not banned in the middle of the month unlike what you are suggesting right now.

@RysPicz

Quick bans are not really appropriate for pokemons that might be unhealthy or centralising. A ban based on this criteria takes time.

Typhlosion clearly puts tremendous pressure on teams, but I am not convinced it fits offensive Uber characteristics since pokemons like Calm Slowking, Careful Miltank, gimmicks Flash Fire mons and Diglett Scarf seem to be capable of stopping it to some decent degree.

Edited by gbwead

It was defined as a quick because you didn't hold a formal community discussion, regardless of the time frame it existed in UU.

Typhlosion meets offensive uber characteristics similar to Rhydon in UU. It has the moveset to break a team with ease if you misplay and to add its speed is just terrifying for something with a spammable base 150 move behind specs. I think the discussion should be made between the tier council members to remove Typhlosion as soon as possible. Pairing Typhlo with Manectric and Reversal Diglett makes for an easy advantage. 

7 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Pairing Typhlo with Manectric and Reversal Diglett makes for an easy advantage. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see how this strategy has any chance of breaking something as simple as Calm Slowking + Cradily.

Just now, gbwead said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see how this strategy has any chance of breaking something as simple as Calm Slowking + Cradily.

If you intend on running a Slowking, which is tier's premier physical wall, as a special wall just because of Typhlosion, then it really has to go sooner than I thought

2 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

If you intend on running a Slowking, which is tier's premier physical wall, as a special wall just because of Typhlosion, then it really has to go sooner than I thought

That is a centralising argument tho and it is really debatable whether slowking is capable or not of being a special wall. 

Edit: I was not playing PvP back then, but I heard Vileplume used to be a top tier special wall in UU. I would have a hard time believing that today.

Edited by gbwead

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.