Preliminary NU Tier

Flail + waterfall is perfect coverage. No flaws. #kingler

RS flinch chance is 30%. A "wall" that has 30% of loosing is pretty weak imo.
Bellosom, being one of the best options, is still not that great when you think about it.

Remember, too, that with giga drain being the main attack used to kill kabu by bello and tangela, if you DONT get the flinch you want, not only do you lose your kabutops, but the bello/tangela will likely be back at full health after draining all of yours. You won't even be able to sweep them up afterwards

You're right but as per your calcs, flail has low % chance of ohkoing which means every time you set up a sub, the chances of you ohko-ing me lowers assuming that I have taken damage at some point. Also if I know you have sub, I will switch my hitmontop at some point when you're at 50% hp, so that intimidate+mach punch lowers your chances of doing much dmg.

I agree that hitmontop is a better option and allows safe scouting.

I am not saying that bellosom doesn't wall kabutops. I am just saying there is a good chance bellosom won't be on the winning side on that match up.

From the tiering guide:

"An example of an Offensive Characteristic pokemon would be Tyranitar, which was banned for being too potent of a sweeper. It could sweep through the majority of the metagame with little to no trouble, with only a select handful of pokemon being capable of stopping it. As a result, all it needed was some spikes support, or simply the natural widdling down of the opponent's pokemon in order to be able to fully sweep. It's ability, Sand Stream, meant that even Leftovers wouldn't help pokemon survive against it. Claydol, Skarmory, and Vaporeon were the best switch in options against a Tyranitar, and all of them could still be beaten. (Skarmory is beaten by Taunt if it tries to go for Whirlwind; Even if tries to kill with Steel Wing, it loses a majority of the time due to Rock Slide flinches. Claydol is beaten by Crunch, and Vaporeon is beaten if it has been whittled down, even if not, Tyranitar is able to Rock Slide out a victory)."

Kabutops doesn't have a lot of switch in options. I am juste comparing vaporeon ability to wall tyranatar to the ability of ballosom to wall kabutops. In both cases, the sweeper could still manage to "Rock Slide out a victory".
I would also like to point out that being forced to play bellosom as a wall is not that great. Beside leech seed (that requires battle points farming), bellosom doesn't do a lot of supporting in a team. He also allows several easy and threatening switch ins like jynx and ninetales. 90 base power in special attack with no ev investement is quite bad.

0 SpA Bellossom Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lapras: 90-108 (19.3 - 23.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even lapras come in and trap with no fear.

From the tiering guide:

"An example of an Offensive Characteristic pokemon would be Tyranitar, which was banned for being too potent of a sweeper. It could sweep through the majority of the metagame with little to no trouble, with only a select handful of pokemon being capable of stopping it. As a result, all it needed was some spikes support, or simply the natural widdling down of the opponent's pokemon in order to be able to fully sweep. It's ability, Sand Stream, meant that even Leftovers wouldn't help pokemon survive against it. Claydol, Skarmory, and Vaporeon were the best switch in options against a Tyranitar, and all of them could still be beaten. (Skarmory is beaten by Taunt if it tries to go for Whirlwind; Even if tries to kill with Steel Wing, it loses a majority of the time due to Rock Slide flinches. Claydol is beaten by Crunch, and Vaporeon is beaten if it has been whittled down, even if not, Tyranitar is able to Rock Slide out a victory)."

Kabutops doesn't have a lot of switch in options. I am juste comparing vaporeon ability to wall tyranatar to the ability of ballosom to wall kabutops. In both cases, the sweeper could still manage to "Rock Slide out a victory".
I would also like to point out that being forced to play bellosom as a wall is not that great. Beside leech seed (that requires battle points farming), bellosom doesn't do a lot of supporting in a team. He also allows several easy and threatening switch ins like jynx and ninetales. 90 base power in special attack with no ev investement is quite bad.

0 SpA Bellossom Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lapras: 90-108 (19.3 - 23.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vaporeon couldn't beat it with one Surf though and heal with that Surf. aaaand there are a lot of other thigns that made Ttar broken than that nitpicky point you bolded

Vaporeon couldn't beat it with one Surf though and heal with that Surf. aaaand there are a lot of other thigns that made Ttar broken than that nitpicky point you bolded

Ok it might not be a convincing argument, but yet it doesn't change the fact that bellosom is a weak wall that allows a lot of threats to set up.

From the tiering guide:

But that logic doesn't work, because Vaporeon has to surf twice to kill Tyranitar, whereas Bellossom does it in one hit. This means that while Tyranitar would flinch 51% of the time, Kabutops doesn't get that chance, only the 30%. Only it's not actually 30%, because both times it uses rock slide it has a 10% chance to miss, so there's a good chance of catastrophic failure.

The rock slide flinch chance ends in Kabutops getting completely fucked a large majority of the time, let's not pretend otherwise.

Support Banette does it learn WoW here?

yes

You're right but as per your calcs, flail has low % chance of ohkoing which means every time you set up a sub, the chances of you ohko-ing me lowers assuming that I have taken damage at some point. Also if I know you have sub, I will switch my hitmontop at some point when you're at 50% hp, so that intimidate+mach punch lowers your chances of doing much dmg.

sub does block intimidate. i assume you know this and are switching in on one of the turns sub is down, but not everyone reading this thread does. 

also i would like to point out that kabu learns AA and since every single counter that has been pointed out is a grass or fight type, i think this may be useful for the calcs with bello/tangela if not top.

yes

sub does block intimidate. i assume you know this and are switching in on one of the turns sub is down, but not everyone reading this thread does. 

also i would like to point out that kabu learns AA and since every single counter that has been pointed out is a grass or fight type, i think this may be useful for the calcs with bello/tangela if not top.

AA = 60 * 2 = 120

RS = 75 * 1,5 = 112,5

not that much of a difference.

AA = 60 * 2 = 120

RS = 75 * 1,5 = 112,5

252+ Atk Choice Band Kabutops Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bellossom: 84-100 (46.1 - 54.9%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Kabutops Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bellossom: 78-93 (42.8 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

and yet all the difference in the world. ofc flinch chance>9.8% so rs still good but this way you hit both hitmontop and bello hard with the same move instead of having to guess.

AA = 60 * 2 = 120

RS = 75 * 1,5 = 112,5

252+ Atk Choice Band Kabutops Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bellossom: 78-93 (42.8 - 51%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Kabutops Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bellossom: 84-100 (46.1 - 54.9%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO

It is not much of a difference, but it could be enough to make a difference.

Bellosom suck and it will be a pain to be forced to play that awful pokemon with pokemons that are so OP next to it.

If I read what he said, correctly, then it means that he wants to be at +2 and continue subbing till 1 hp. So assuming he is +2 when I switch in, I keep breaking his sub and then switch in the next turn he subs thus making him -1. At that point he can only waterfall.

If I read what he said, correctly, then it means that he wants to be at +2 and continue subbing till 1 hp. So assuming he is +2 when I switch in, I keep breaking his sub and then switch in the next turn he subs thus making him -1. At that point he can only waterfall.

making him +1

If you switch in on the last substitue, here is what happens.

+1 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 128-151 (81.5 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Kabutops than switches out to avoid mach punch and leaves your hitmontop nearly dead with no recovery moves.

Edited by lamerb

Waterfall + Flail gets stalled out by Mantine, generally ( inb4 swift swimm mantine ), and Lapras can switch in and Perish Song, Roar, Set up Curse/Dragon Dance while you sub....Normal Water IS perfect as coverage, but Flail doesn't give sure coverage

I think Zangose > Tops as Flail user, and with the ammount of priority and Sharpedo ( and Speed Boosters huehuehue ) don't really think it'll be that used anyway...

AA is quite viable on CB Tops imo since it hits for SE damages most "safe" switch in, but Tangela and Bellossum gets instant recovery so i guess they generally win the 1 on 1, for Poliwrath and Top it's a little harder to keep switching in...

Not really sure if Tops is too op tbh

Join the test battles on PTS

#quickbanJynx

I would but i work all day and get home when ya'll are asleep. Rip. Nevertheless, when we don't really have a true special wall an insane poke like jynx probs should get the boot.

Just think of it abstractly.

Great speed. CM boost with dual +90 bp stabs. Other support moves like sub, fake tears, and the scary lovely kiss too.

I'm with think here, bye bye jynx.

Srs, I swept thinknice with it today in an absurd position. Was down 4-2 I think, and honesty I didn't even play it that well. The sweep was inevitable though. Jynx firmly fits under the offensive uber category, and I think it's clear without any further testing

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.