Preliminary NU Tier

Based on the UU usage that has been collected over the past month, we have made a cut off point to separate UU and NU using the same 4.36% that was used in OU. Below I have put together a list of Pokemon in NU (excluding NFEs) that may help with team building. This list is subject to change based on the NU council's decision. 

There will be no viability thread or discussion request thread as of yet for obvious reasons. Please use this thread to discuss the implementation of NU, keeping in mind that this is a preliminary list. 

Absol

Aggron

Aipom

Ampharos

Arbok

Ariados

Armaldo

Banette

Beautifly

Beedrill

Bellossom

Butterfree

Cacturne

Camerupt

Castform

Chimecho

Corsola

Cradily

Delcatty

Delibird

Dewgong

Diglett

Ditto

Dunsparce

Dustox

Electabuzz

Electrode

Exploud

Farfetchd

Furret

Girafarig

Glalie

Golduck

Golem

Gorebyss

Grumpig

Hitmonchan

Hitmontop

Huntail

Illumise

Jumpluff

Jynx Quick banned

Kabutops

Kadabra

Kecleon

Lapras

Ledian

Lickitung

Lunatone

Luvdisc

Magcargo

Mantine

Masquerain

Mawile

Mightyena

Minun

Mr.Mime

Muk

Murkrow

Nidoking

Nidoqueen

Ninetales

Ninjask

Noctowl

Nosepass

Octillery

Parasect

Pelipper

Persian

Pikachu

Pidgeot

Piloswine

Pinsir

Plusle

Politoed

Poliwrath

Primeape

Qwilfish

Raichu

Rapidash

Raticate

Relicanth

Roselia

Sableye

Sandslash

Scyther

Seaking

Seviper

Sharpedo

Shedinja

Shiftry

Shuckle

Smeargle

Solrock

Spinda

Stantler

Sunflora

Swalot

Tangela

Togetic

Torkoal

Trapinch

Tropius

Unown

Venomoth

Victreebel

Volbeat

Wailord

Walrein

Whiscash

Wigglytuff

Wynaut

Yanma

Zangoose

Heard you like sheeps

[spoiler]5w5ec.png[/spoiler]

Anyway, gonna wait to someone else to say something, but for me 

Zangoose

Sharpedo

Jynx

Maybe Tops

Maybe Pika 

( could have missed some big name )

could be seriously too OP

Haha I could screen the convo we had about how I thought some of the pokes you mentioned were op, but we do have fair amount of checks/counters.

Armaldo/Solrock beat Zangoose,

Sharpedo gets walled by cacturne only from what I saw and cb crunch hits a lot of things hard which probably would force people to run defensive hitmontop.

Jynx imo is quite scary with lovely kiss+cm+dual stabs but it's very fragile imo so if you have something that can hit hard and can tank a psychic/icebeam, then that should benefit you. Sharpedo does this job quite well although "inb4 hpelectric"

Sableye walls tops all day with knock off / toxic / recover and even Solrock with toxic/morning is a decent answer to it. Grumpig can hit tops hard with stab psychic. 

Yeah Pika is another we felt was pretty op. Feel like Swalot is one of the few things that can switch in on it. Bellossom is a decent answer as well unless Pika has hp ice. For now Tbolt / Surf / Espeed / xxxx will be the preferred answer I presume.

A few other things I felt that were quite strong were Armaldo, Primeape and Raticate.

--------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, I was hoping that after the first NU tourney, we can use this thread to discuss what pokemon you feel is op, and then we can create a proper discussion thread and see where it leads to.

Armaldo, Solrock, Golem and most other Rock types gets rekt by +2 Iron Tail, Aggron can take it, but there is Low Kick risk ( that can still hit hard the others with Armaldo exception ). Top and Chan can revenge it with Mach Punch, and probably even Pika. 

Sharpedo can run a mixed set, with a pretty good 95 base stat that rekt Cacture with Ice Beam...not even that gimmicky. Physically defensice Top is cool for forcing it out, but won't exactly like getting Waterfalled to much

Jinx is paper, but 252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sharpedo: 75-88 (51.3 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO lets the speed tie decide then ( i could argue that "keep a broken thing to keep another broken thing" ) 

Tops is Kabutops, not a fighting Top, my bad, 252+ Atk Choice Band Kabutops Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 90-106 (57.3 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, Solrock Nah, Grumpig is 2hkod by CB Waterfall...

Pika is weird...whatever

EDIT: I feel like Poliwrath does a better job at taking on Sharpedo and Tops ( unless Arial Ace or Double Edge ) 

Edited by londark

Aah I was thinking Hitmontop instead of Kabutops. For Kabutops we have bellossom and Tangela which should suffice.

You're probably right about Iron Tail Zangoose because I completely overlooked the fact that it learnt that move so I thought Zangoose wouldn't be able to touch those. I'll look into it.

Are you expecting Sharpedo to run a mixed set with CB? Because if without CB then it won't hit that hard. But then again I think tangela is a decent pairing along with tops to resist both stabs. Luckily Sharpedo isn't that bulky so it'll be difficult for it to come in unless double switches.

For some reason I expected lesser dmg on Sharpedo from beam but 50-60% is quite a lot. Jynx could be too much as well because only Aggron seems to be the perfect switch in atm:

252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aggron: 56-66 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Edited by NikhilR

The changes I'd have to do to my guide with all this being implemented......oh well, guess I'll have to take the NU guide too. 

Well, if NU's gonna be like this, I won't exactly object, since the "NU" ness has been raised to a whole new level. 

Edited by YagamiNoir

such underrating of armaldo

Pretty good, but i fell that the lack of Bug Stab and all those Water Users in the tier could suffice to keep it there....it's actually a good physical wall ( if not the best ) with nice offensive presence, and a good Spinner

Aah I was thinking Hitmontop instead of Kabutops. For Kabutops we have bellossom and Tangela which should suffice.

Yeah, overlooked Tangela, it walls it all the day (with exception of SD Flail set, but won't really think it'll be seen much ), physical defensive Bello ( not sure how much viable it would be ) has still a shoot at beeing 2hko by CB Arial Ace.

Guess we will have to wait and see how it goes ( tfw half my UU box is now NU box )

EDIT:

Are you expecting Sharpedo to run a mixed set with CB? Because if without CB then it won't hit that hard. But then again I think tangela is a decent pairing along with tops to resist both stabs. Luckily Sharpedo isn't that bulky so it'll be difficult for it to come in unless double switches.

Why not? Crunch, Waterfall, Ice Beam, Hp/Double Edge/EQ/or whatever with CB

0- SpA Sharpedo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tangela: 164-194 (105.1 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Edited by londark

so why arent we hosting a tournament while the PTS is going on anyway to test most of these pokemon?

I can do this but not tonight as have coursework and wont be able to be a good host. If anyone wants to host one I will happily spawn a "pts prize" for them to give out. 

this list looks sick, i was trying some matchups to see any overpowered, at first seems to have some balance, I do think some are very powerful to be NU, but lets wait and see.

[spoiler]

Wasn't zangoose an UU uber?

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

RIP Hitmonchan

[/spoiler]

also, did you guys used only the usage or did you make some changes to ban some pokes?

Zangoose really doesn't seem like too much of a threat. The things that walled it hard most have come down with it. Also NU has a lot more options for wide offense than UU or OU making it harder on Zangoose. Pikachu looks like too much though and maybe Sharpedo but Politoed, Poliwrath, Tangela and Hitmontop check it nicely as well as anything with priority and faster birds/electabuzz.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.