[PSL3] MVP Cup Hype thread

Hey guys!

So, since MVP cup isn't officially happening supported by Thinkie, we just gotta make our own!

We're going to have a 16-man tournament featuring 2 players per team! Managers are free to take one of those spots.

We're going to allow users to bet on the team they think will win.

Bet winnings will be distributed to whoever won their bets, but a share of it will go to the winners as incentive to do their best! The more hype, the bigger the prize!

Probably something like 10% of the pool goes to the winning team.

The bracket format is TBD, probably full OU, tier shift OU/UU, or double elim with losers' bracket UU. Open to suggestions.

That's all!

Now for spectators, this is how betting will work.

You'll be free to bet on any team, and give the money to any staff member (who agrees to help me), who'll take note of your bet and add the money to the pool.

People who bet on a losing team, lose their money.

If you win, however, this is how winnings are distributed

Example:

Darkshade vs Zehkar

Noad bets 20k on Zehkar from Team Eggplant Fanclub

Eggplant bets 50k on Zehkar from Team Eggplant Fanclub

Ronax bets 50k on Zehkar from Team Eggplant Fanclub

RacheLucario bets 100k on Darkshade from Team Hats OP

LeTyrone bets 30k on Darkshade from Team Hats OP

The pool adds up to 250k.

25k would be given to the winning duo. Say, Zehkar wins because DS is a pleb.

Noad's bet represents 16.6% of the amount of bets on Team Eggplant Fanclub, so she would get 16.6% of the remaining pool. = 41500 $

The more you bet on a team, the more money you'll get out of it.

The less people bet on the same team as you, the more money you'll get out of it.

The larger the pool, the more money you'll get out of it!

Discuss.

wait... So if 100 people bet on Me to win, each putting $5 in, and 1 person bet on Kingbowser to win, putting in $5 as well. Then when KB wins, does that 1 person take away $505?

Perhaps you should put a cap on how much someone can win based on how much they staked? i.e. you can only double (or triple) your money, then the rest is proportionally given away to the losers based on their stakes.

Just a thought.

wait... So if 100 people bet on Me to win, each putting $5 in, and 1 person bet on Kingbowser to win, putting in $5 as well. Then when KB wins, does that 1 person take away $505?

Perhaps you should put a cap on how much someone can win based on how much they staked? i.e. you can only double (or triple) your money, then the rest is proportionally given away to the losers based on their stakes.

Just a thought.

Nope, that person would totally win 505. No way around it. It's absolutely fair.

If there's such a wide gap in the amount of bets, it's probably for good reason. The person with the lesser amount of bets is probably the one less likely to win. Making it more of a gamble to bet on him. Making winning a lot of money well-deserved.

You see, these 100 people betting on you are basically guaranteed to win the bet because you'll steamroll over bowser so hard. Since they're all taking such an insanely safe bet, there's not much to gain out of it. They'll split that $5 amongst all of them.

However, that guy who bet on bowser is so out of his mind to bet on him. It's a pity bet at this point. Literally throwing away money. But if his guy turns out to win, it's natural he'd hit a jackpot for having basically gambled on throwing away money.

Think roulette. If you bet on "black", 50/50 to win, you double your money. Bet on "21 red", 1/36 to win, money is multiplied by 36.

I know zero is a thing but whatever.

Nope, that person would totally win 505. No way around it. It's absolutely fair.

If there's such a wide gap in the amount of bets, it's probably for good reason. The person with the lesser amount of bets is probably the one less likely to win. Making it more of a gamble to bet on him. Making winning a lot of money well-deserved.

You see, these 100 people betting on you are basically guaranteed to win the bet because you'll steamroll over bowser so hard. Since they're all taking such an insanely safe bet, there's not much to gain out of it. They'll split that $5 amongst all of them.

However, that guy who bet on bowser is so out of his mind to bet on him. It's a pity bet at this point. Literally throwing away money. But if his guy turns out to win, it's natural he'd hit a jackpot for having basically gambled on throwing away money.

Think roulette. If you bet on "black", 50/50 to win, you double your money. Bet on "21 red", 1/36 to win, money is multiplied by 36.

I know zero is a thing but whatever.

let me put it another way, that's a bit more extreme.

Let's say each of the 100 bet $1mil on me. And the 1 guy bet $1 on Bowser. When Bowser wins, does that 1 guy get $100,000,001?

see what I mean?

let me put it another way, that's a bit more extreme.

Let's say each of the 100 bet $1mil on me. And the 1 guy bet $1 on Bowser. When Bowser wins, does that 1 guy get $100,000,001?

see what I mean?

Yes. He'll win 100 mil. No issue with that!

But if it really goes that extreme, chances are someone else will bet $100 on bowser to snag most of the profit.

People will bet on the "low bet" guy simply on the off chance that he wins, if their bet can represent a majority of the pool. It'll balance itself out.

Also, the players selected won't have that much of a skill gap, since they're handpicked. Don't really see this happening.

Yes. He'll win 100 mil. No issue with that!

But if it really goes that extreme, chances are someone else will bet $100 on bowser to snag most of the profit.

People will bet on the "low bet" guy simply on the off chance that he wins, if their bet can represent a majority of the pool. It'll balance itself out.

Also, the players selected won't have that much of a skill gap, since they're handpicked. Don't really see this happening.

You never know  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I can definitely see people throwing games to make money.

One of the downsides, although I'm not going to do that just for a little pocket change. These are big time players I'm expecting to be matched against if this goes through and I don't want peeps to think they're better than me or that I threw.