Funcitonality of the Current Tier Council System

I was a member of the tier council on two occasions, and on both occasions I grew frustrated and resigned. My reasoning to do so can be blamed largely on my impatience, but after some discussion with the community it appears that the current system at hand is not functioning like we expected. 

I am opening this thread to allow community members to discuss their own thoughts on the current system and offer any advice they may have regarding how to improve upon it. I realize this might be a "touchy" subject for some, but in all honesty it needs to be done. 

As a competitive community, we can't sit idly by and continue to play a game that is largely imbalanced and not enjoyable. There is a tier council in place that needs to be active like the developers intended it to be. 

My own personal advice would be to put in position a moderator that is hired by the development team who understands tiering and can guide discussion in the private subforum and also the community subforum to ensure that decisions and discussion can be made over a reasonable duration. 

Here is some community input on this subject:

Honestly I'm up for any change in this tier. I made a discussion request thread for Slowking but I was on the edge on making one for Sciz or Plume.

For the love of god, do something with the tier that was used to be the most popular, balanced and beloved in MMO.

In the end UU is stall heavy and has little diversity. I ask that we just do something and stop dilly dallying around. We've had a broken tier for months and the only change was removing rhydon at the end of summer.

I feel it takes way too long to decide if they want to ban something.

If they can't decide get on and have a look at the meta, that's the problem imo, a bunch of the council don't get on enough to look at the meta.. and looking at the usage stats does not give them enough info.

@KaynineXL: Inactivity and lack of play hurts the tier council greatly, but my biggest pet peeve with the system we have is that there is no solid leadership to help guide arguments. LeTyrone at least makes an attempt, but their is still no consistency. No one is there to hold each member accountable for their position. Whether it comes down to Burntzebra flaming fellow council members during public tournaments, Robofiend arguing against any and all approach to change while attempting to force his own input, OrangeManiac hardly discussing anything at all in the private forum, or even myself growing frustrated with how the system works.

No one is there to say hey calm down, hey be reasonable, or hey just suck it up. 

There needs to be an active overseeing moderator of the tier council. 

Or someone with balls big enough to do and say what is necessary. And not take personal prefferences into tiering, but puting healthy and enjoyable metagame idea on the first place.

Unfortunately that someone also has to carry the respect of his fellow tier members. I tried, but I wasn't respected and was unable to make much of a difference. I largely blame myself, but there are also things that could not be helped.  

Chansey thread has been open for over 2 months.

Walrein thread has been opened for almost 1 month

I get it takes time, but that's a little over the top.

tbh, after kind of thinking about it, I miss the old system where there was individual councils for each of the tiers. There was a clear focus for a small group of people and they seemed to work together very well. While inactivity did hurt that system, I believe there were less egos to try and sort through when it came down to making a decision. 

What I miss was the non-usage based tiering that made UU the most healthy and enjoyable tier MMO ever had. Now all tiers are shit

Lack of leadership was something I hated when I was on the UU council and you're perfectly right. Fred and Arte could tell you about how much I uguued, I wish there would be a definitive leader instead of slapping a million jobs on Noad who cannot handle being on top of the council along with other staff responsibilities. I'm derailing my own thread tho. Let's stop. :)

There is a need for definitive leader with authority above all members, yes. However there is no need for a whole thread to harbor the communities mediocre ideas about how the structure of the tier council should work. Although I hope it won't be, this is going to have so much shitposting, flaming and unnecessary criticism. This topic is PM worthy, not thread worthy. You have the opportunity to contact council mods JJ, you have the credibility seeing as you just left the council.

Edited by DrCraig

There is a need for definitive leader with authority above all members, yes. However there is no need for a whole thread to harbor the communities mediocre ideas about how the structure of the tier council should work. Although I hope it won't be, this is going to have so much shitposting, flaming and unnecessary criticism. This topic is PM worthy, not thread worthy. You have the opportunity to contact council mods JJ, you have the credibility seeing as you just left the council.

I beg to differ, there were multiple people in that conversation, me, Rys and yourself for example. I feel a thread is deserved so everyone can get their input.

There is definitely a risk of unnecessary comments with a thread like this, but I've always been a huge proponent of involving the community in any and all discussion regarding matters that directly effect them. Hopefully the community can remain professional while discussing this issue, but I do believe it is a community issue. 

I beg to differ, there were multiple people in that conversation, me, Rys and yourself for example. I feel a thread is deserved so everyone can get their input.

Cool. Three people complaining. JJ knows he has the ability to just straight contact a staff member instead of giving a pathway for the community to make a mess. I hope you guys keep the thread clean because there is no justification for shitposting.

Cool. Three people complaining. JJ knows he has the ability to just straight contact a staff member instead of giving a pathway for the community to make a mess. I hope you guys keep the thread clean because there is no justification for shitposting.

We're just discussing our opinions. No need to jump the gun.

Edited by KaynineXL

I give no shit about shitposting, private stuff or anything. Tiering should not be dependable on only few people who want to throw their own style and ban the pokes they want, they need to listen to the voice of community. Tierlist council is there for community and not the other way around.

All I want is an enjoyable and healthy meta in every tier for everyone. Am I asking for too much? I'm throwing away my own personal prefferences to make this happen. I just wish others would do that as well.

E:

Yeah I just fucking care.

Edited by RysPicz

I have to agree with DrCraig, there is no reason for a public thread as the only people who can ever have a full understanding of the subjects you are wanting to discuss are a minority of players who have been actively involved in the tier council.

Whilst change can be slow, the decisions that are made are now always made with enough statistics to back them up.

When making decisions we also like to ensure that Official Events aren't being compromised at the same time.

The Slowking thread is currently in discussion and a decision will be out soon.

Can it be frustrating as a competitive player? Sometimes -- but we would rather make decisions with good reason and decent evidence to back them up rather than jumping the gun on things and changing them later; which is a tactic that had led to many mistakes in the past.