[Implemented] Horde Flee Rate is Absurd

When fighting hordes, there is now a maximum chance to flee (25%..100%) depending on how many of the horde are alive
  • Items and Abilities which guarantee escape still bypass this check

I've been EVing via hordes for a while this morning. I'm EV a pokemon with an exp share and leading with a lvl 100 Dnite. I am having the biggest fucking problem with this new flee rate because each time I encounter a horde, regardless of the level pokemon in the horde, my Dnite cannot escape. I do not want to kill all of the hordes because when ev training, not every pokemon is going to benefit me.

Since I am cornered by unwanted hordes when EV training I have to either:

1. Let the horde kill my Dnite (which takes fucking forever)

2. Kill the horde which gives me unwanted EVs I have to remove and this is a complete inconvenience

3. Log out, terminate my session, and run back to my spot

I'm aware the update just dropped, but there is no depth to this 'fix.' Making hordes difficult to escape from is extremely inconvenient for EV training. I don't see this as an improvement for the game, but an inconvenience. Logging out and back on should not be part of my usual EVing strategy.

they probably want you to buy pokedolls or whatever it was

They want you to lead with a dead run away pokemon so every time you run through your sweet scent pp (which goes away super quick) you must heal your dead pokemon, then have it faint again to begin training.

They want you to lead with a dead run away pokemon so every time you run through your sweet scent pp (which goes away super quick) you must heal your dead pokemon, then have it faint again to begin training.

I'm training two EVing pokes to get around this hurdle - a run away rapidash with heatwave and a claydol with EQ and teleport. I dk, doesn't seem like that outrageous of a problem to be honest. Most EVing areas are 100% encounter for the EVs you want, and you can use specialized pokes like I just mentioned to handle the other areas (at the cost of one party slot)

*credit to gilan for the claydol idea, which he came up with after sinking 200k+ into a rapidash kek

Edited by Gunthug

run rates shouldn't matter if you use the correct leads. Claydol for attack training, and Rapidash heat wave for special attack. Every other EV hotspot has 100% encounter rate for the relevant EV.

So I'm totally ok with the 25% run rate.

it's just that now I can only ev train 4 pokemon instead of 5 when doing attack or special attack.

Edited by Gilan

not like it takes much for a horde to murder a lvl 1 run away rattata

the lvl 1 lead is completely doable, flee rate isn't a problem when ev training / farming. however what you have to consider is when you are just casually doing other things, and also the impact it'd have on casual and storyline players (who don't bother breeding a rattata to have dead as a lead, lol).

i can foresee the next update

• Fixed a bug where a fainted party lead would have its ability cast in battle.

On topic tho, this is nuts. If most hordes were useless, then you had to find a way to make the player want to fight them (multiple pickpup or multiple payday). Instead you went and added a poorly designed mechanic that just pisses off literally every player bound to run into an unwanted horde.

Edited by axx

It's shit like this that made me completely stop breeding, training, and battling since the berry farming update. The cheaper breeding (which the staff were so against for so long) finally made an appearance after they fucked up training and battling. When was the last time we got a cool new feature without some sort of major loss of another feature?

Honestly, I like hordes....but when I'm trying to get to a pokemon center in the next town that I haven't visited and a horde pops up when my pokemon is nearly fainted I am not a happy camper. While at the same time I guess pokedolls or roar/whirlwind/teleport/runaway is going to be more useful...though I shouldn't have to have them as a lead to avoid a freaking horde when I don't want to face it.

I'm fine with this rate, but it can be bad for ppl that are not ready to face a horde, like most newbies

I'm making a EQ; Hyper Voice/Surf; Teleport; Sweet Scent Smeargle because of this.

At first i was like "How the hell am i going to sketch Teleport if it makes pokemons leave battle?" Then i Sketched Mean Look to block wild abras and then i got to sketch teleport.

I haven't finished this project so i don't know if it will do enough damage, but i supose it will

Not sure if its a bug, but Ive been able to flee everytime with my gengar. So maybe for ghosts the flee rate doesnt count just like they cant be trapped by moves like Mean Look etc

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Escape

As of Generation VI, if the player has a Ghost-type Pokémon out, attempts to run from wild battles will never fail regardless of Speed.

Don't know why they would implement a Gen VI feature but...

The biggest issue is that noobs get rekt by hordes that they can't run away from. So it would appear that the solution would be to prevent a player from encountering hordes until they have beaten the storyline for the corresponding region. The only issue I see with this is that players would make alts to do everstone hunting and whatnot...

The biggest issue is that noobs get rekt by hordes that they can't run away from. So it would appear that the solution would be to prevent a player from encountering hordes until they have beaten the storyline for the corresponding region. The only issue I see with this is that players would make alts to do everstone hunting and whatnot...

and we all know alts are cheating

I -think- that both regions have a runaway pokemon available before a horde area is ever encountered, might be wrong though.

I -think- that both regions have a runaway pokemon available before a horde area is ever encountered, might be wrong though.

Noobs don't know that...

Here's the noob experience:

*Cue Trainer Battle music*

"HAHAHAH, GO my Mighty Charmeleon!"

*Noob battles npc and Charmeleon loses 3/4 of it's HP*

"Hmm... Maybe I should go back to the PC..."

*Cue Wild Battle music*

"Pff, a Wild Pokemon? How puny!.......... WHAT!?! 5 Pokemon!?!"

"Charmeleon, RUN!"

*Can't Escape!*

"What the Fuck?!?!"

*At this point the noob trainer starts feeling hatred and animosity towards the system*

*Charmeleon goes down to 1/16th health*

"Charmeleon, RUN AGAIN!"

*Can't Escape!*

*Charmeleon Faints*

etc.

When this repeats itself multiple times, the noob player begins to realize that the run rate is f'd up. So until they get surf they are just forced to fight off a horde of pokemon making their nostalgic play-through all that much more irritating.

I think the point I'm trying to make, is that you shouldn't assume that new players are aware of how Pokemon actually works... When your party gets murdered by a horde over and over again, it really detracts from the Pokemon experience.

I'm just gonna stay on the side of only letting hordes be encounterable post-storyline