[UU Discussion] Houndoom -Banned to BL1

• 3 weeks later...

I think we had 2 UU tournament since the test ban. What do you guys think of the Doomless UU meta so far?

I personally prefer the Doomless meta, but I am not overly impressed by what I am seeing in terms of meta development. Is Houndoom really this much unhealthy? 

2 minutes ago, lamerb said:

I think we had 2 UU tournament since the test ban. What do you guys think of the Doomless UU meta so far?

I personally prefer the Doomless meta, but I am not overly impressed by what I am seeing in terms of meta development. Is Houndoom really this much unhealthy? 

I'd need to see and play more. I started to see Hypnos, Haunters and Exeggutors much more often. Sun Exeggutor is great- who knows if not even too great- and was previously completly blocked by Doom. For now I definietly prefer the tier without Doom, ban on one poke unlocked many more. 2 tournaments isn't really much though, most of people need time to actually breed something and put it into use and we know that our meta is adapting and evolving super slowly because of the amount of time and funds each breed takes from us.

Played in the last UU tournament versed someone with meowth in the second round so that was exciting, I guess no houndoom is really improving viability of some pokemonjajajajajaja. Been playing ranked as much as I can, more people when, which I guess gives insight. Exeggutor is definitely used more. With the sun set being as common, if not more, than the defensive set. Haven't seen too nay haunter, i assume still afraid of the variety of viable pursuit users; Dodrio, Swellow, Scizor, Absol and Sneasel.

Not much else has changed, still seeing the same defensive cores and the only offensive change being sunny egg.

Are there still usage stats? would be interesting to see.

13 minutes ago, DaftCoolio said:

Exeggutor gone down and haunter barely moved. kek?

Is usage taken from ranked as well or just officials?

I think it must have been pretty much from ranked only since we only had one uu tourney before that usage info

3 hours ago, LifeStyle said:

Looking at that usage, does it mean Breloom is moving to OU and Camerupt to UU?

Currently breloom would move up to OU if we used these current usage stats or if breloom's usage maintained in the future. Realistically, I doubt camerupt/kabutops/mr mime/possibly hypno will maintain their current usage to be moved up to UU though. Currently the usage pool for that UU is 4 times smaller than the original UU usage, so there's a lot more room for weird stuff getting moved up or down (crawdaunt sitting at 1.9% usage, along with electrode lol). 

Tier Council is still trying to lay down some of the ground work for less erratic usage movements, as with all the tier resets and bans, we haven't really had any system in place with regular usage movements. 

Aye, so... I went through 5 (6 if you wanna count finals) rounds of UU official yesterday and I had some unrankeds as well (dun like losing BP in rankeds :( ) so I'd like to speak a bit more from my own experience.

1. I faced a huge amount of Haunters in both unranked and official. 1 out of 2 opponets I face has a Haunter. Which seems like a good thing. I started to see Misdreavus coming out from the shadow as well. Ghost types are finally truly viable in UU.

2. I wasn't wrong with the psychic types stopping being shy, especially Hypno which I started to see not only in NU anymore. I saw few Jynx as well (even faced one in the official yesterday).

3. The only thing that worries me is Exeggutor. Zeb pointed at it yesterday and I must admit it really is scary. Orbed sunnybeam set can 2hko the entire tier, no questions asked. I said that it's *maybe* even too great and I feel like I was right.

Still, tier is starting to look pretty good. If only Dodrio can get the boot after which I think we should discuss Exeggutor.

So there was more usage updates up to the 4th of July. I think that with breloom and dodrio gone from UU this usage may be the most accurate portrayal of the effect of the houndoom ban. 

Haunter still lower than what it was before.

Exeggutor still lower than it was before.

And out of that plethora of other viable psychic types. Hypno and Jynx are the only ones to climb above the NU cut off albeit at only 5%.

5 minutes ago, DaftCoolio said:

So there was more usage updates up to the 4th of July. I think that with breloom and dodrio gone from UU this usage may be the most accurate portrayal of the effect of the houndoom ban. 

Haunter still lower than what it was before.

Exeggutor still lower than it was before.

And out of that plethora of other viable psychic types. Hypno and Jynx are the only ones to climb above the NU cut off albeit at only 5%.

Breloom's move to OU has absolutely nothing to do with Houndoom ban, I have no clue where you got that weird idea. It went into OU because it perfectly deals with the evercommon Lax and Rhydon.

Dodrio needed the boot regardless of Doom.

Haunter and Exegg will now definietly climb in usage, especially after seeing what Sun Exegg does with teams- it's just pain to breed it with HP Fire and good IVs so people will need time to adjust to it.

Out of plethora of viable psychic types, 2 of them already got into UU by usage with an incredibly slowly changing meta. After one ban. More exactly, one poke's ban unlocked already 2 others and I don't think it's the end.

Just now, RysPicz said:

Breloom's move to OU has absolutely nothing to do with Houndoom ban, I have no clue where you got that weird idea. It went into OU because it perfectly deals with the evercommon Lax and Rhydon.

Dodrio needed the boot regardless of Doom.

Haunter and Exegg will now definietly climb in usage, especially after seeing what Sun Exegg does with teams- it's just pain to breed it with HP Fire and good IVs so people will need time to adjust to it.

Out of plethora of viable psychic types, 2 of them already got into UU by usage with an incredibly slowly changing meta. After one ban. More exactly, one poke's ban unlocked already 2 others and I don't think it's the end.

What I was meaning is that with Breloom and Dodrio now gone it may significantly change the UU tier. And those changes could be attributed to a Houndoom ban, where as they were actually because of Breloom and Dodrio being banned.

" one poke's ban unlocked already 2 others and I don't think it's the end." Breloom being moved up had nothing to do with houndoom, like you said it deals with Snorlax/Rhydon. Dodrio has been op since it was introduced and to quote you again "Dodrio needed the boot regardless of doom"

4 minutes ago, DaftCoolio said:

What I was meaning is that with Breloom and Dodrio now gone it may significantly change the UU tier. And those changes could be attributed to a Houndoom ban, where as they were actually because of Breloom and Dodrio being banned.

" one poke's ban unlocked already 2 others and I don't think it's the end." Breloom being moved up had nothing to do with houndoom, like you said it deals with Snorlax/Rhydon. Dodrio has been op since it was introduced and to quote you again "Dodrio needed the boot regardless of doom"

I think he was referring to the 2 psychic types that moved up from Nu, not dodrio  and breloom

1 minute ago, Gunthug said:

I think he was referring to the 2 psychic types that moved up from Nu, not dodrio  and breloom

oh that makes sense

Only hypno was moved up on usage. Jynx was banned for uber characteristics in NU

Edited by DaftCoolio
10 minutes ago, DaftCoolio said:

In the post of Tyrone's/gb's/gunt's they made it seem like without Doom everyone would run psychic pokemon/missyd and they would have wonderful usage, where Hypno and Jynx are the only noticeable ones but only at 5%, hardly ground breaking. 

This is just a start, in our incredibly slow-evolving meta this is actually a huge step.

• 2 weeks later...

UU feels nice right now, but literally not much has changed without Doom. Really just weighing Exegg vs Doom in this meta. 

Doom shits on Exegg and can hit everything really fucking hard. Without Doom Exegg is a nice wall, but a great special sweeper. 

What to do? Bring Doom back and test it in the Dodrio/Breloom'less meta. 

14 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

UU feels nice right now, but literally not much has changed without Doom. Really just weighing Exegg vs Doom in this meta. 

Doom shits on Exegg and can hit everything really fucking hard. Without Doom Exegg is a nice wall, but a great special sweeper. 

What to do? Bring Doom back and test it in the Dodrio/Breloom'less meta. 

Also haunter is getting usage again now because of it, and it's really fucking good with so many diverse sets, specs, trick scarf/specs, will-o-wisp, sub disable. People just don't realize it, jynx is pretty good too with so many cradilies, didn't get to use it this tourney but last one I did a few rounds.

• Tyrone locked this topic
  • Munya pinned this topic