Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

The ''Bug Hive'' Official PVP Event. The ruling is the usage of a team of 4 bugs per competitor.

The viable option pool consists of 11 choices, each countering or checking one another:

Heracross (powerhouse)

Scyther (fast sweeper)

Scizor (set-up tank)

Forretress (wall)

Venomoth (special sweeper)

Shuckle (wall, annoyer)

Masquerain (intimidater)

Ninjask (speed god)

Shedinja (wonder guard)

Armaldo (set-up tank)

Pinsir (set-up sweeper)

There is none in this list that can be considered too dominant, and I am pretty sure most competitive players already have at least 3 of these bugs, so preparing one more won't take that long. It would be a fun tournament. Prize? Comp shiny Shedinja please.

Scizor+heracross both seem pretty op in this, nothing can ohko scizor and +2 scizor ohkos everything and has morning sun. Heracross has better stabs and movepool and better speed, but can be revenged by scyther/ninjask, although neither can really come in and scyther loses to megahorn/reversal salac hera if no quick attack. Comp shiny shedinja would be cool though, would probably be the only comp shedinja on server

Scizor+heracross both seem pretty op in this, nothing can ohko scizor and +2 scizor ohkos everything and has morning sun. Heracross has better stabs and movepool and better speed, but can be revenged by scyther/ninjask, although neither can really come in and scyther loses to megahorn/reversal salac hera if no quick attack. Comp shiny shedinja would be cool though, would probably be the only comp shedinja on server

Hera will be strong, but flying STAB moves are everywhere. As for Scizor, it may seem a bit op, but it does not hit pretty much anything supereffective with superpower, and some things are 4x resistant to it. Swords Dance and Morning Sun leave it open to two moves only, and none cover every threat.

Hera will be strong, but flying STAB moves are everywhere. As for Scizor, it may seem a bit op, but it does not hit pretty much anything supereffective with superpower, and some things are 4x resistant to it. Swords Dance and Morning Sun leave it open to two moves only, and none cover every threat.

steel wing+superpower hit pretty much everything, pursuit hera makes quick work of shedinja (assuming someone has a comp one)

What's up, guys.

So, I feel like the standard event time is 5PM EST.

However, there's no way I can make this on any day of the week, due to my new timezone.

Are there any others who are in this situation?

Would we still get full brackets at say, 10PM EST?

If this is a popular time, I might start some events of my own around then.

Team Tournament soon, don't worry. 

I would appreciate any feedback on the recent Spring Championships, what bits did you like? Any suggestions for improvements in the future? I totally get increasing the bracket size for 64 players in any future tournament series like this due to the popularity of this one. 

I would appreciate any feedback on the recent Spring Championships, what bits did you like? Any suggestions for improvements in the future? I totally get increasing the bracket size for 64 players in any future tournament series like this due to the popularity of this one. 

Definately 64 man brackets. Next step is taking it to other tiers imo

bigger size would be nice. also other tiers would be kewl too.

64s honestly doesn't seem attractive to me, but how about limiting players that have qualified already from participating in future qualifiers? I would also suggest a swiss or round Robin format final. Seeing the best of the best play eachother at least once is/would be great.

Yeah I don't really want 64 people tournaments, just takes forever. I think if the finals were only 8 people, just the people who got 1st place, swiss/round robin would be more reasonable. 16 person swiss takes a long time. 

Yeah I don't really want 64 people tournaments, just takes forever. I think if the finals were only 8 people, just the people who got 1st place, swiss/round robin would be more reasonable. 16 person swiss takes a long time. 

16 swiss would take forever, but maybe we could make you know... make a weekend event spanning two days =)

Also since I'm back to my pc and not on my phone I can expand on the 64 man bracket thing. We experienced an unusual influx of registrations that could warrant a 64 man bracket for a Summer series, but unfortunately 64 man tournaments are very taxing, are very long, and simply increase the likelihood that RNG will mess with your run. I think it would be more reasonable to have 32 man qualifiers, have non-shiny prizes, and not allow previous qualifiers from partaking in future qualifiers. 

Having somewhat crap prizes (thinking breeder packs) for each of these qualifiers would ensure that previous winners wouldn't feel like they were "missing out" on anything with future tournaments that they couldn't play in. Limiting winners from playing in future qualifiers would allow the chance for at least a couple new faces to play each tournament. The unfortunate part of this is the idea that reserves would only get one, two, or maybe no chances to play in the big show. Tough cookies, you should have won.

These are just some thoughts, but all  in all, 32 man tournaments to me, simply make more sense. 

Swiss is no good for 16 man, Swiss should only be used for high amount of players when you want to have a few rounds to determine the winner. But RR 16 also takes ages. You could do it like:

Fri: RR 8 seeds, top 2 advance

Sa: RR 8 seeds, top 2 advance

Sunday: RR 4 seeds, tie breaker match if needed

Swiss is no good for 16 man, Swiss should only be used for high amount of players when you want to have a few rounds to determine the winner. But RR 16 also takes ages. You could do it like:

Fri: RR 8 seeds, top 2 advance

Sa: RR 8 seeds, top 2 advance

Sunday: RR 4 seeds, tie breaker match if needed

isn't swiss basically round robin, except the match ups are based on wins? I don't really see a point in doing round robin since it takes forever with pointless matches of a 0-4 person vs a 1-3 person. I guess swiss is similar, but more condensed