Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

How do the PvE prizes have any effect on the PvP prizes?

I don't see how giving the same prize is a problem, at all.  Aren't these gift Pokemon we're talking about?  Who cares.

Give the PvE people the same prizes.  Literally no reason not to--besides selfish PvP players feeling entitled to better things than people who don't play PvP, which is ridiculous.  

If you have a problem with fair PvE prizes and you play PvP, enter the PvE events and win yourself.

I don't see how giving the same prize is a problem, at all.  Aren't these gift Pokemon we're talking about?  Who cares.

Give the PvE people the same prizes.  Literally no reason not to--besides selfish PvP players feeling entitled to better things than people who don't play PvP, which is ridiculous.  

If you have a problem with fair PvE prizes and you play PvP, enter the PvE events and win yourself.

There really isn't, it's just that Munya came in with the ultimatum of improving PvE prizes to the level of PvP, or reducing PvP to create fairness

Most of us don't care what's given in PvE, so long as we continue to feel rightfully rewarded for the work and time we commit to this game. 

doublej, my original post before somebody posted saying no that shouldn't be a thing, just so you know, there was no ultimatum.

But your argument happened to change with each new post, so how are devs and staff supposed to decipher what you want?

So I guess what I should be asking is, what is your suggestion now, better PvE prizes, more PvE prizes, or worse prizes for PvP?

In the same regard, why should the PVP prizes have any effect on the PVE prizes? I've never seen anyone complain that their PVE prize wasn't good enough aside from Munya, who originally went the route of "Reduce PVP prizes" before settling for this avenue. Shit, the biggest prize in the history of this game has and will continue to be a PVE prize (the video contest). But for your average low effort event like a safari hunt, what's wrong with a shiny venomoth? Why disrupt the status quo? If it ain't broke don't fix it

edit: I should point out that I enter more PVE events than PVP ones and I certainly have a better chance of winning the PVE events. I didn't see that writing contest pop up and go "damn, its ridiculous that the prize for this event isn't a high IV gift shiny with very little competitive utility." I was just happy there was an event, period - and Munya, you are capable of hosting events as a staff member, aren't you?

Edited by Gunthug

But your argument happened to change with each new post, so how are devs and staff supposed to decipher what you want?

So I guess what I should be asking is, what is your suggestion now, better PvE prizes, more PvE prizes, or worse prizes for PvP?

My argument never changed, the goal was always to get the prizes on equal grounds.  I wanted PvE prizes brought up, people didn't want that so whats the alternative?  The alternative is worse prizes for PvP events to equal out, people wanted it brought up, i didn't.  If they didn't they should have just said nothing.

Also, gunt, the video contest is not a PvE contest, its a forum contest. No, i don't know that I would even call it that, but its closer than a pve contest.

My argument never changed, the goal was always to get the prizes on equal grounds.  I wanted PvE prizes brought up, people didn't want that so whats the alternative?  The alternative is worse prizes for PvP events to equal out, people wanted it brought up, i didn't.  If they didn't they should have just said nothing.

Also, gunt, the video contest is not a PvE contest, its a forum contest. 

With the glaring lack of content, it makes sense to just call all non PVP contests PVE for now. This game really doesn't have any true PVE events yet, even safari hunt barely qualifies as a PVE event by the traditional definition

more pve events with high iv shinies as a potential reward.

The only person arguing against this appears to be gunthug, and he doesn't count because he's a future lawyer seeking an argument. Any other hostility towards this that has been shown is simply because of this argument below:

PvP players should not be rewarded with prizes unobtainable by pve players who put as much time into the game as they have, give them an option or remove that option from the tournaments, don't care if the cash prize is bumped to two mil.

Which is an argument similar to those made by you in other threads, most of which revolved around PvP, specifically the competitive scene, being awarded with prizes that you feel are too high. So maybe gunthug was just carrying his argument against you from other threads into this one?

Idk, if I were you I'd stay away from trying to crap on the competitive scene and move more toward what you were trying to do, promoting PvE.

Unless of course you simply just don't like PvP and want to see it burn in hell. In which case, please just be more forward about it. 

This 

Unless of course you simply just don't like PvP and want to see it burn in hell. In which case, please just be more forward about it. 

This 

If that were the case I would never have made prizes to give away at unofficials.

If that were the case I would never have made prizes to give away at unofficials.

Still not being forward. Maybe you had a bad experience when doing that and your opinion has changed? One thing I really don't like is passive-aggression. 

A statement like yours just now falls into that category. Would have been pretty chill if you had just quoted your initial suggestion of "more pve events with high iv shiny prizes as a potential award".

So idk, do you like arguing with us?

EDIT: I suggest more doubles tournaments, please =)

Edited by DoubleJ

The issue is, munya's original post has to be viewed in the context of munya's "prize world view" - that pvp and pve prizes should be equal. This I completely disagree on, because as I said, prizes should scale based on the difficulty of the event and none of the typical PvE events available require as much time investment or skill as a typical pvp event.

If, for example, they bumped the pvp prizes up to where many think they should be, munya would likely then argue that pve prizes should receive a proportional bump. It's one thing to simply say "hey it'd be cool if a pve prize was a high iv shiny" - whatever, enjoy your crappy gift "comp" shiny. But to say the prizes NEED to be equal, for fairness, nah. And also, let's not ignore how much bias permeates every post munya makes. That in an of itself drives me to keep responding

Giving them the option of a gift shiny isn't even making it equal so, i mean, yknow.  I didn't say a gift shiny and  1mil.

When I say equal, I mean equal opportunity to obtain what the other type of player obtains, this means prizes should not be unique and only obtainable in that one way, unless there is an equally valuable unique prize obtainable on the other side.

Giving them the option of a gift shiny isn't even making it equal so, i mean, yknow. I didn't say a gift shiny and 1mil.
When I say equal, I mean equal opportunity to obtain what the other type of player obtains, this means prizes should not be unique and only obtainable in that one way, unless there is an equally valuable unique prize obtainable on the other side.

I mean, comp shinies are essentially worthless - many cant even be used competitively. i just won a 10m yen hat in a non PVP contest, when's the last time a standard official had that kind of prize?

I mean, comp shinies are essentially worthless - many cant even be used competitively. i just won a 10m yen hat in a non PVP contest, when's the last time a standard official had that kind of prize?

the cloud nest hat is tradeable and obtainable via that by others provided they paid enough to the winner, I would be more than happy for it to be given out in a tournament though, if thats a complaint.

To me (feel free to tell me I am wrong) there are 2 types of "PvE" events (I just call them events and PvP I call tournaments). The first are your standard Hide and Seek, catching contests ect take little skill or prep and are designed to keep a large amount of the player base occupied and happy for an hour or two. The second are art, writing, creative contests - these take, in my opinion, a lot of effort (especially if you want to place in them), you cant win these through RNG like catching contests. 

Personally I view the second type as deserving a decent prize due to the effort that is put into them. However, you simply cannot take the prizes we hand out for tournaments and give them for these type of events. Why? Because the majority of people that win/take part in these events are not competitive players. Winners of creative contests would be like "wut?" if we handed them 20,000 Battle Points, the players that usually take part in these would be over the moon with special prizes such as fancy vanity items. 

As for the first type of "PvE" I listed, a lot of the time a completely random newbie gets first place from getting an insane Chansey catch in the Safari Zone or stumbling across me hiding in a bush somewhere ect. These types of players (and bless their cotton socks c:) would be ecstatic to get a gift non comp shiny Butterfree and be happily on their way. 

I just wanted to give my input as someone who has hosted a fair few events, there are different crowds for different events/tournaments and I usually keep this in mind when thinking of prizes to suit the players I am targeting. 

Giving them the option of a gift shiny isn't even making it equal so, i mean, yknow.  I didn't say a gift shiny and  1mil.

You acting like PVE players cant join PVP events.

PvP players could equally join the pve events, thing is, not all pve players like to pvp, and I am sure there are some the other way around.

Yes so the prize should weighted on the effort and preparation to one another, we have chance to join both, equality. There is a reason why any PVP player can win any PVE event, cause it takes little preparation and no skill. Why should we reward luck more than skill?

Personally, PvE prizes aren't really an issue at all. PvP requires more time invested than PvE events, aside from the events Noad listed above. It wouldn't make any sense to hand out prizes normally given as PvP prizes for such events at all. The same goes for in game PvE events like catching contests and hide n seek. Not every player entering those events plays comp so it would make literally zero sense to give out comp level prizes for them. That doesn't mean that they can't have shiny prizes at all. What I'm saying is that handing out comp level shinies makes zero sense in PvE events. If you want to bump PvE prizes I don't see an issue with it, but be sure it makes sense and doesn't alienate the comp playerbase.