Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

I really like the events that are provided in the past, but lately I've been itching to get another catching event. Those events are sublime for the players who don't concentrate on competitive playing. It doesn't require a lot of skills and are a lot of fun for the rest of the community.

A Magikarp fishing contest! (Surf is also allowed, but fishing OP)

Catch the most horrible Magikarp, link it to one of the available CM's and win a shiny Magikarp. (also possible with the highest IV's, most average IV's or just the most horrible one)

> got inspired by the Dunsparce catching event, thank you.

I really like the events that are provided in the past, but lately I've been itching to get another catching event. Those events are sublime for the players who don't concentrate on competitive playing. It doesn't require a lot of skills and are a lot of fun for the rest of the community.

A Magikarp fishing contest! (Surf is also allowed, but fishing OP)

Catch the most horrible Magikarp, link it to one of the available CM's and win a shiny Magikarp. (also possible with the highest IV's, most average IV's or just the most horrible one)

> got inspired by the Dunsparce catching event, thank you.

pls you weren't even in MARP

Definitely support though.

It was brought up during the June edition of team torunament whether or not NU should be a part of the team tournament, given that it is now an official tier. While not many participated in the discussion, the majority of the players wanted doubles to remain in the team tournament. However, yesterday I read this:

e4e16d1ef94f95d92da846705c412b1f.png

Let me quote Senile here: "OU and Doubles should be permanent slots because OU has popularity, and Doubles is the most unique format we have compared to all others. UU and NU are both nice changes of pace from the OU Singles meta, but they aren't unique enough that they should have priority over Doubles."

For the rest of his reasoning, see his post here:

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/54724-team-tournament-june-27/?p=1088520

My suggestion is that you rotate UU and NU, but keep OU and doubles as permanent slots in the team tournament. Thank you in advance.

It was brought up during the June edition of team torunament whether or not NU should be a part of the team tournament, given that it is now an official tier. While not many participated in the discussion, the majority of the players wanted doubles to remain in the team tournament. However, yesterday I read this:

e4e16d1ef94f95d92da846705c412b1f.png

Let me quote Senile here: "OU and Doubles should be permanent slots because OU has popularity, and Doubles is the most unique format we have compared to all others. UU and NU are both nice changes of pace from the OU Singles meta, but they aren't unique enough that they should have priority over Doubles."

For the rest of his reasoning, see his post here:

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/54724-team-tournament-june-27/?p=1088520

My suggestion is that you rotate UU and NU, but keep OU and doubles as permanent slots in the team tournament. Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the feedback PandaJJ

Uniqueness of a format does not mean that it should be prioritized over other tiers. What I'd like to do with Team Tournament is change things up monthly. For example in September, Doubles can come back and take the UU position in the tournament.

I believe an arrangement like this, if communicated to the community beforehand, will make the Team Tournament more dynamic and interesting each month.

Thanks for the feedback PandaJJ

Uniqueness of a format does not mean that it should be prioritized over other tiers. What I'd like to do with Team Tournament is change things up monthly. For example in September, Doubles can come back and take the UU position in the tournament.

I believe an arrangement like this, if communicated to the community beforehand, will make the Team Tournament more dynamic and interesting each month.

I fully understand what you want to do, but I don't think it's fair to the doubles format to be treated equal to UU or NU. If uniqueness was not important, we might as well have all the three games be played as OU. LF community support.

I fully understand what you want to do, but I don't think it's fair to the doubles format to be treated equal to UU or NU. If uniqueness was not important, we might as well have all the three games be played as OU. LF community support.

So what do you suggest? 5v5 is not realistic for team tournaments. I think a rotation of the lesser played tiers is the best compromise we could make. 

I'v said it a lot, but never actually said it in the suggestions/feedback thread. I'm not sure if someone else has asked for it either but here goes.

The prizes at the moment have been solid at the moment. I just want to say that straight up.

My suggestion

• Let us decide the Hidden power so it's not scouted before we get to use it =)

So what do you suggest? 5v5 is not realistic for team tournaments. I think a rotation of the lesser played tiers is the best compromise we could make. 

Put on your glasses:

My suggestion is that you rotate UU and NU, but keep OU and doubles as permanent slots in the team tournament.

Put on your glasses:

What makes doubles superior than UU and NU, though? I get that they are unique, but doubles remain extremely limited with no way to punish unbalanced abilities/moves that were balanced in later generations. I agree it is a fun tier and you need to be really good at it, there is a reason why the same people keep winning doubles officials, but I think UU and NU are both more balanced than Doubles right now. 

What makes doubles superior than UU and NU, though? I get that they are unique, but doubles remain extremely limited with no way to punish unbalanced abilities/moves that were balanced in later generations. I agree it is a fun tier and you need to be really good at it, there is a reason why the same people keep winning doubles officials, but I think UU and NU are both more balanced than Doubles right now. 

OU (which strictly speaking should be called "Standard Singles") and doubles are different from every other tier in the sense that they are standard - they are the only two tiers which employ a minimum amount of bans and clause to become playable. UU and NU have pokemon bans that are not necessary for the tier to be playable, namely usage based bans. I'm not saying anything about them being more or less balanced, they are just not standard. I feel that leaving out a standard format is not the right thing to do.

And I know you think I'm biased for doubles (which is obviously true,) but not anymore than other people are biased for UU and NU. I also don't agree that doubles has anymore flaws than singles, considering that there are just as many moves and abilites lacking in singles that defines the metagame in never generations.

With that said, if you have no regard for standard tiers at all and decide to also rotate out OU, then I don't really have anything to argue about. Either OU and doubles should both stay permanently, or they should both go on rotation.

5 matches with ubers \o/

jk, maybe in 4 months though if we get ubers rolling

Let's be honest here, we don't have the player base to sustain 16 teams of 5 players to battle every month. Even with 3 players per team, I heard some teams had to use players with level 30 pokemon, or something along those lines.

I could accept Panda's idea of rotating all formats/tiers, but having no OU singles for TT just seems a bit odd. I could live with it, though.

I know this has been suggested but I can't remember for the life of me who suggested it. What if the rotation occured between each round? A simple randomizer could pick 3 out of 4 available tiers and teams would have the usual 10 minutes to assemble their lineup. Then, before the start of the next round, the randomizer could be used again and another 3 tiers are selected from the available 4 (I know doubles isn't technically a tier but bear with me here).

The problem I could see with this is, teams could have the excuse that "we only lost cuz X tier wasn't in it." However, that excuse will still exist with tyrone's current plan, except the excuse would last for the entire tournament.

Another possible obstacle: not every match in the round ends at the same time (as we saw from Vorred's zebra-esque 1st round matchup yesterday), which could potentially leave the teams lagging behind with the advantage of knowing the tiers well in advance of their match, as dictated by the other side of the bracket or something. A possible solution to this would be rotating the tiers for each individual matchup, not just for each round, but that seems a little too subjective

double date night.

32 or 64 man doubles tournament fought in pairs standard date night format.doubles go by quicker then any other teir so date night wont go on for ages, and doubles is also the most rng heavy teir so making it "date night" format will allow a sudo best/3.

the avg doubles matches time in the TT yesterday was around 10 minutes or less. assuming each match ends in tie breaker (cause worse case) a 64 man would last around a hour and 40 minutes not including roll call if every match is avg 10 minutes.

longest doubles match i ever saw was 40 back in the pre cb days due to a bliss and a team that could only pp stall it.

Let's be honest here, we don't have the player base to sustain 16 teams of 5 players to battle every month. Even with 3 players per team, I heard some teams had to use players with level 30 pokemon, or something along those lines.

I could accept Panda's idea of rotating all formats/tiers, but having no OU singles for TT just seems a bit odd. I could live with it, though.

Well that's just embarrassing. If we didn't have reserves playing I would have been upset that that team was allowed to play at all.

Lf 8 team tt's by invitation

I really like Gunthugs idea of rotating the tiers each round, it gives reason to rotate your players between rounds and use your reserves. It truly would be a team tournament.

Just for clarification I decided to go back to that June TT thread where suggestions were flying around - the original idea came from Gbwead so props to him for it. Would love to hear more feedback on that possible solution - is it too much work for the tourney hosts? Does it invite too much potential bias/tampering? While 5v5 might be a stretch, I don't think it's outlandish for 16 teams to have players that can fill all 4 popular tiers. Then again, after a month where one team send players using <lvl 50s...

I also really like JJ's idea of making TT invitation only, the more I think about it. Especially when we shift over to automatically generated tournaments - the Team Tourney will be one of the last bastions of staff-run tourneys, and will be that much more significant because of it. The possibility of individual ratings determining team rank (for purposes of invites) will also be made easier by automated tournaments. There'd have to be some sort of cap (say, only the top 5 from each team are used to determine rank) to prevent teams from just adding as many members as possible to soak up every ounce of rating. Anywho, that's probably a discussion for another day

While 5v5 might be a stretch, I don't think it's outlandish for 16 teams to have players that can fill all 4 popular tiers. Then again, after a month where one team send players using <lvl 50s...

Just to clarify, that was an entirely new team of new players that played their first team tournament. Because the sign ups are based and first come, first serve, there is no way of preventing such teams of participating. On the other hand YOLO did not sign up in time and was left out, for example. In general there should be no issues with teams filling four tiers, this was an exception. Since TT has four rounds and there are four tiers, it is possible to leave out a different one each round.

As for the invitation, it would be great to see an alternative to the current system, but I'm not sure how you can do that in a fair way. If you base it on individual player performance in officials, then teams with many good players can manipulate the line-ups by splitting into several smaller teams etc. Maybe another solution is better?

Just to clarify, that was an entirely new team of new players that played their first team tournament. Because the sign ups are based and first come, first serve, there is no way of preventing such teams of participating. On the other hand YOLO did not sign up in time and was left out, for example. In general there should be no issues with teams filling four tiers, this was an exception. Since TT has four rounds and there are four tiers, it is possible to leave out a different one each round.

As for the invitation, it would be great to see an alternative to the current system, but I'm not sure how you can do that in a fair way. If you base it on individual player performance in officials, then teams with many good players can manipulate the line-ups by splitting into several smaller teams etc. Maybe another solution is better?

Oh I completely agree with you re: VALE, as much as i respect the willingness to go out and compete in your first TT even though they were arguably far from ready, if they're keeping legitimate contenders like YOLO out then that's a problem. Hopefully we can iron out a system for the future that can remedy this situation. However, aside from YOLO, how many other teams didn't make it into the bracket? It's not a super strong point (was really just trying to find possible devils advocate arguments), but we don't have a LOT more than 16 teams capable of filling 4 tiers. I could be wrong about this, though, and players always come back for an update - maybe the impending update will remedy our lack of competitive teams?

Regardless, I still think the rotating tiers round by round is a great option and one that should be considered/discussed more.

In regards to your last point, that's something I hadn't even considered and a good catch. There's bound to be a solution there somewhere, and we've got plenty of time to iron it out since automated tournaments would likely have to factor into the team rankings somehow