Official Tier List Organization (April 24th)

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but this thread seemed like the best place. I certainly didn't wanna create a discussion thread about this topic, for reasons that will become clear shortly lel

I think it would benefit Comp Alley if there was a limit on the number of active discussion threads going on at one time. As it stands now, anyone can create a discussion thread about anything, which seems liberating in theory. However, it really just ends up scattering the community's focus between a lot of discussions, much of which have absolutely no merit whatsoever. If instead, each tier could only have 3 discussions open at once, we'd see a lot more focused discussions. It would also carry over into tournaments for the tier, where the community would have an easier time singling out what the current three (or less than 3 [side note -almost typed a heart here]) "suspects" are, and the effect they had on the tier.

It's something me and some teammates were discussing in team the other day, and it's a pretty easy policy to initiate. Thoughts?

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but this thread seemed like the best place. I certainly didn't wanna create a discussion thread about this topic, for reasons that will become clear shortly lel

I think it would benefit Comp Alley if there was a limit on the number of active discussion threads going on at one time. As it stands now, anyone can create a discussion thread about anything, which seems liberating in theory. However, it really just ends up scattering the community's focus between a lot of discussions, much of which have absolutely no merit whatsoever. If instead, each tier could only have 3 discussions open at once, we'd see a lot more focused discussions. It would also carry over into tournaments for the tier, where the community would have an easier time singling out what the current three (or less than 3 [side note -almost typed a heart here]) "suspects" are, and the effect they had on the tier.

It's something me and some teammates were discussing in team the other day, and it's a pretty easy policy to initiate. Thoughts?

I can see why this suggested change would probably positively impact discussions. When UU first started there were tons of discussion threads and everyone seemed to be scattered about posting in different threads and I felt at times there would be a lack of focus. At the same time, these multiple threads also led to a ton of overpowered Pokemon being banned from the tier in one go, so that was pretty convenient. 

I guess when the tier has been around for a while 3 threads is totally reasonable. For example OU now I would say the 3 main focus points are probably on Snorlax, Gengar and Dugtrio. When the tier is new though it's possible 3 threads may not be enough at the beginning as it may be possible a bunch of Pokemon are overpowered. 

It's a good suggestion and it will be cool to see other people's opinions on it too. 

I can see why this suggested change would probably positively impact discussions. When UU first started there were tons of discussion threads and everyone seemed to be scattered about posting in different threads and I felt at times there would be a lack of focus. At the same time, these multiple threads also led to a ton of overpowered Pokemon being banned from the tier in one go, so that was pretty convenient. 

I guess when the tier has been around for a while 3 threads is totally reasonable. For example OU now I would say the 3 main focus points is probably on Snorlax, Gengar and Dugtrio. When the tier is new though it's possible 3 threads may not be enough at the beginning as it may be possible a bunch of Pokemon are overpowered. 

It's a good suggestion and it will be cool to see other people's opinions on it too. 

Yeah I could see why this may not work quite as well at the beginning of a tier's existance - for example, NU will probably have several threats pop up immediately when it comes out, and it may be more beneficial to increase the max thread count (lel) to, say, 6? At least until the first round of bans to BL2 go through? Even so, some would argue that the flux of UU threads that led to the large bannening was a negative thing - a pokemon like Alakazam kinda got swept up in there, when based on calcs I've seen (thanks fred), it may not have warranted a ban at all. So it's food for thought. I, too, would love to see what others think on this

Say Hariyama/Zangoose/Slowking/Scizor all happened to have threads. I don't think it is an issue if multiple threads exist and are active as long as the council has an organized approach to determining when a discussion is 'complete' and a decision should be made.

[Spoiler]Can we talk limiting who posts?[/spoiler]

Edited by DrCraig

Given what I just came home to, this issue is more pressing than ever. Let's stop the madness and keep discussions focused on improving the metagame through realistic means, not turn comp alley into this theoretical haven for discussion that should never leave team chat

• 2 weeks later...

Say Hariyama/Zangoose/Slowking/Scizor all happened to have threads. I don't think it is an issue if multiple threads exist and are active as long as the council has an organized approach to determining when a discussion is 'complete' and a decision should be made.

[Spoiler]Can we talk limiting who posts?[/spoiler]

We could just make a thread for comp pokemon as a whole to see if they're fine to use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Munya pinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.