[PSL] PokeMMO Super League Season 3 - Week 2

also thoughts on best out for 3 for doubles? i mean it's pls so time isnt a big issue. with all the rng in doubles a best out of 3 would more accurately show which players are truly the best. blah blah blah

this makes a better argument then i can put together.

thoughts?

Doubles does not have more rng than singles, quite the opposite. However, two moves in particular (protect and rock slide) have a big chance of completely screwing you up, which is why it is more rng-dependent. Another reason why singles is less dependent on rng is because stall is a viable playstyle. In my opinion, every format should be best of three - it is the best way to determine the rightful winner. However, since people will still choose stall as their playstyle, one might risk matches lasting for six hours, which is undesieable. Best of three should defenitely be a thing in doubles, though.

Edit: With that said, we are already following the advice given in the video - we are playing a league, after all. The winning team is decided by 56 games, so that rng that blew one of your games certainly blew one of your opponents games as well. VGC is kinda different, since scouting your opponents team is an important part of the game.

Edited by PandaJJ

VGC is not the same as Doubles. And it is certainly not the same as 3rd gen Doubles. In Doubles you have six Pokémon which means that RNG is already less determining than if you have four Pokémon. In PokeMMO Doubles we also have limited gimmmicks and if you are runnnig them, they are usually known gimmicks as only a few Pokémon can use certain gimmicks. In VGC this is totally different with much larger movepools and also much more utility moves and utility abilities (like Prankster). Because in VGC we are talking 4v4, gimmicks have a much larger impact on the game than it does in PokeMMO Doubles.

In short the possibilities in VGC are much larger than the possibilities in Doubles and one move in VGC can decide more than one move in Doubles which is why Doubles is fine the way it is now.

@Coolio: If Eggplant knew that Baraccus was better than Flareblitzz why wouldn't he use him in the first week? I don't think Eggplant knows the abilities of Baraccus so he is certainly not matchfixing. Baraccus has no matches played in the PSL so we don't know what'll happen. You're right in saying that substitutes shouldn't happen 'just cauz I forgot', but it's the second week to I tend to be a bit more lenient early on.

Edited by ThinkNice

VGC is not the same as Doubles. And it is certainly not the same as 3rd gen Doubles. In Doubles you have six Pokémon which means that RNG is already less determining than if you have four Pokémon. In PokeMMO Doubles we also have limited gimmmicks and if you are runnnig them, they are usually known gimmicks as only a few Pokémon can use certain gimmicks. In VGC this is totally different with much larger movepools and also much more utility moves and utility abilities (like Prankster). Because in VGC we are talking 4v4, gimmicks have a much larger impact on the game than it does in PokeMMO Doubles.

In short the possibilities in VGC are much larger than the possibilities in Doubles and one move in VGC can decide more than one move in Doubles which is why Doubles is fine the way it is now.

ok i hear what your saying that rng is rampant in vgc, but i think you underestimate the rampant rng in doubles. with the 60~% doubles protect chance in perish teams, 51% chance of flinch per rockslide, and all the reglar rng from pokemmo. rng can literally decided a game and it has in pls before. the downsides of the longer time it takes might be more of a reason if we werent having 100+ minute matches in uu/ou with no time clause and the average doubles match being under ten minutes. add in the "no changing your teams" rule it seems to have no downsides. i once nearly swept frags with just one rockslide flinch and one crit and only lost cause i fucked up in the end and that was ou (hes obvs the better player here in this allegory). a best out of 3 would just be a better way to do this. can you at least ask what the doubles players here think before you decided no?

ok i hear what your saying that rng is rampant in vgc, but i think you underestimate the rampant rng in doubles. with the 60~% doubles protect chance in perish teams, 51% chance of flinch per rockslide, and all the reglar rng from pokemmo. rng can literally decided a game and it has in pls before. the downsides of the longer time it takes might be more of a reason if we werent having 100+ minute matches in uu/ou with no time clause and the average doubles match being under ten minutes. add in the "no changing your teams" rule it seems to have no downsides. i once nearly swept frags with just one rockslide flinch and one crit and only lost cause i fucked up in the end and that was ou (hes obvs the better player here in this allegory). a best out of 3 would just be a better way to do this. can you at least ask what the doubles players here think before you decided no?

I think for the sake of consistency alone that the change to best of three is off the table this season

@Coolio: If Eggplant knew that Baraccus was better than Flareblitzz why wouldn't he use him in the first week? I don't think Eggplant knows the abilities of Baraccus so he is certainly not matchfixing. Baraccus has no matches played in the PSL so we don't know what'll happen. You're right in saying that substitutes shouldn't happen 'just cauz I forgot', but it's the second week to I tend to be a bit more lenient early on.

He had seen my roster before he made his substitute and had therefore given him an unfair advantage, as he could have subbed him in anywhere. If I was right in saying substitute shouldn't happen "just cauz I forgot" then why has it happened? Because its early on people are allowed to break the rules? One battle could be the difference between making the play offs and not making the playoffs and this should be seen as serious not just something to brush under the rug. 

He had seen my roster before he made his substitute and had therefore given him an unfair advantage, as he could have subbed him in anywhere. If I was right in saying substitute shouldn't happen "just cauz I forgot" then why has it happened? Because its early on people are allowed to break the rules? One battle could be the difference between making the play offs and not making the playoffs and this should be seen as serious not just something to brush under the rug. 

Because I believe Eggplant's intentions were honest and not like you boldly claim 'matchfixing'. And that's the last of it.

Well in eggplants defense, its not like you change who was playing OU anyways. And I assume you wouldn't be making a big deal if the substitute lost.