PSL Season 4 General (Smack Talk) Thread

After discussion and poll votes the Showdown tiers that will be played in Season 4 are DPP OU and VGC 2015.

From the discussion regarding our nearest generation Showdown tiers DPP OU won by a huge margin of almost 2/3s voting for DPP OU over ADV OU. Even though I personally thought having all the Gen3 Pokemon and the throwback old Phys/Spec split (even though it sucks) would be nice for a PSL tier, people generally seem to enjoy DPP much more as a tier. In addition it's a nice kind of a "practice" to the new Pokemon we could possibly get in MMO environment (ETA 2020?) and DPP OU is the first metagame of our current used physical/special split and therefor I can definitely get behind the reasoning of its huge popularity. That's why I decided to go for DPP OU.

The vote between VGC and ORAS OU was much closer. VGC triumphed only by 55% majority. I could personally imagine people are more comfortable with singles based on that it's much more popular format in MMO and I can imagine MMO players have played more ORAS OU than VGC. Also ORAS OU is a really good metagame, I have experienced that personally. However, I thought having a tier which is the official Pokemon competitive format is nice to have to give MMO players a bit of introduction to the official side of the competitive Pokemon. Doubles format is now played in 2 out of 6 tiers in PSL, which is a huge number considering how popular Singles is over Doubles in this game. However, may this be a season of getting out of your comfort zone and heck it can even be fun. This decision was harder, but I decided to go with the slight majority of the poll and the last PSL tier will be VGC 2015. These matches will be played best of 3.

Fredrichnietze suggested PSL Doubles should be best out of 3, not because of the time but mostly due to the RNG changing nature of Doubles. I'm not a Doubles expert but I wanted to ask the community whether you want to play Doubles BO1 or BO3. The votes of known Doubles players will weigh obviously the most here.

I typically don't teambuild around flinch hax and speed ties, but rather make solid (probably gimmicky) combos, get in battle with a plan, a surprise element and try to get a surefire win.
Naturally, the match will be rng based if your only counter to flinchhax is flinchhax and both teams revolve around it.
I wouldn't necessarily support best of 3 just for the rng. Because well, every tier has rng.

I wouldn't necessarily support best of 3 just for the rng. Because well, every tier has rng.

Well here's when the time comes in factor. As Doubles match by average takes like 2-3 less time than average MMO Singles match it could be given more matches and opportunities to see which player is better. I don't vote for either side though.

your poll is broken and I can't even vote

but I want to vote for best of one, I don't want players that run surprises to be shat on because they lose their surprise advantage after game 1 or see them forced to run 3 different teams. 

though I'd agree with BO3 if it was 4v4. 

but im not even a doubles player lol so it doesn't even matter to me all that much.

As a doubles player, I'd suggest that we maintain doubles as only one match. While doubles do have a tad more RNG (Aerodactyl Rock-Slide specifically), I don't believe there is any benefit of extending to a best of three format. Players are still challenged in a 6v6 setting and can build defenses against RNG and also fail-safes should RNG play a role. 

I've also seen doubles matches extend past 30 minutes, and this has been more common in the recent (lol recent) doubles tournaments. Players are learning how to use stall in doubles and learning how to defend against the seemingly broken offensive threats. 

I'm all for Bo1, for the reason Vorred stated.

I don't want players that run surprises to be shat on because they lose their surprise advantage after game 1.

I like to run unlikely surprises, just because I want to ry out a few Pokemon and a different core set to what happens most often.

After the first game, my surprise element is ruined, and the opponent could easily win the other two fights, with no surprises left to give myself an edge.

but guys! sleep, flinches, speed ties, protect, and crits!

only in doubles can you run sleep teams which have a shacky accuracy and 1-3 turn sleep.

only in doubles do you have a greater chance of having a flinch from rock slide the not.

only in doubles does everything run protect.

the extra amount of hax and possible hax can be the deciding factor and is much more often then any other teir.  sure their is the surprise factor, but with fast pace doubles matches you wont run every move off every pokemon. maybe by round 3 every gimick has been shown, but this apply's to both players and doesnt give any player a unfair advantage over any other. rng does give a player a advantage over another and is the surprise factor really worth it?