What is the point of adding Johto?

I recently played HG/SS because I've never played the remakes only the original Silver and Gold.

I was playing it while all the trying to imagine what it would bring to PokeMMO.

And my final thought was that it wouldn't bring anything, except for the Pokeathlon (that would be awesome to have it in PokeMMO if it can be implemented and played in link!) and 8 new gyms.

The rest is way overrated by the players nostalgia :

- The Pokemons available in the adventure are mainly from the 1G, and they are already in Kanto AND Sinnoh AND Unys Post-e4 

- The phone feature is just horrible. Everyone wants your phone number, and they harass you all the time just to tell you sh*t like :

"I tried to catch a Rattata but I have failed"

- The Bug Catcher Contest was fun at the GameBoy era but in PokeMMO we have a whole different level of catching contests.

- The HM FLY is way too late in the game, it gets boring to cross the whole region just to have Pr.Orm calling "come back to the lab I have a gift for you"

- The Mom always trying to get us to invest in her MLM is useless and would be even more in PokeMMO.

- The e4 is pretty much the same than in Kanto.

- The Kanto Part isn't even that great, it feels pretty empty. Players back in the days loved it because it was unexpected, but PokeMMO players have already 4 regions that feels complete, not just add-ons.

- The Post-Game, throw at you a bunch a gift when it's not useful, like a 1G starter (useless in PokeMMO)

a 3G starter (useless in PokeMMO)

8 legendaries (useless in PokeMMO) and even the Shiny Gyarados wouldn't be implemented or either wouldn't be catchable or wouldn't be tradeable.

So Overall I think that Johto wouldn't be a great addition to PokeMMO, except if it has special features like raids, Hidden Abilities, Swarm with Alphas... Well, something new that isn't in HG/SS.

To be fair I am gonna list the positive points as well :

- As I said before, the Pokeathlon would be Awesome ! Best feature that could be brought in PokeMMO if it's multiplayer.

- Some sprites are actually pretty nice, but I have noticed that the devs are implementing them little by little.

if the Devs can use some of the sprites to refresh Kanto and Hoenn that could be nice.

- The radio feature have some potential,

like announcing Swarm and Phenos like the TV,

or listing the catching/tournaments official events that are coming on the next days for the new players that don't know it's on the forum,

Or even, and that would be really great, to have the possibility to have a Team Radio, because the message on the Team Description sometimes feels too little when we have a lot of announcements to make.

Thank you for reading all of this and please tell me what are your thoughts about it.

Long Live to PokeMMO!

This is essentially what Kyu was talking about, when Johto was mentioned in that one thread.

"Adding Johto doesn't give us anything long term, other than another E4 to grind, and another thing to cross off our list".

I would like Johto for the added grind locations and the Pokelathon like you mentioned, and possibly another ability patch.

Edited by LucasLyn5
E4 grammar fix
On 9/3/2022 at 10:10 AM, Poufilou said:

Bug catching contest instanced with other players could be hype. Always dreamt of permanent small pve events. 

Overrated in my opinion, I organize catching event with my team once a week and it's enough. 

There are official catching events almost everyday too.

I mean, why not. 

- another region to explore with your character and more content to play. 

- phone feature is a bad faith argument considing the pokenav in hoenn is the same thing and you just don't get calls 

- fly being late game, who cares, still another region and game people love anyway 

- the mom money system is completely optional and you can disable it in the first hour 

-dont have to implement Kanto section, we already have Kanto, but they COULD use the assets to improve the region at least graphically 

I get what you mean, in by it's not the most necessary thing ever, but personally I love the johto region, and I certainly wouldnt be upset at the idea that there's just more content to play. 

And you can't even be upset that it's old content, because the game is based on old content 

I think people at the end of the day forget that there is a sizable amount of players that exist in MMO that like to just finish the regions, do PVE content, and log off. If you stayed only on the forums, you'd think that a vast majority of players were only PVP diehards that don't consider stuff like The Underground or Contests "true content".

I understand I'm being a little insufferable with this comment but honestly w/e, let Johto happen, it's fun.

• 1 year later...