Longest Shiny Hunts?

Hi everyone! I'm a relatively new player (about 1 month IRL, 400 in-game hours) and my favorite thing to do is shiny hunt. However, right now I'm looking for some encouragement. I'm currently 46k dry, no shiny whatsoever since my last one at ~6500 encounters total, 25 dedicated. I got super lucky, and now I feel totally down on my first real, dedicated hunt. I will absolutely keep trying and this isn't a complaint, but I definitely am starting to feel hopeless.

Can anyone share their longest or most demoralizing hunts? Hearing others make it through 45k+ encounters and come out with their shiny would really help right now! 🙂 Thank you and good luck everyone ❤️

Agreed. The RNG feels broken...broken...broken...you do your 1/30k 4 times over and get nothing. Then suddenly you get 2 or 3 back to back, and slowly the numbers even themselves out. The key word....slowly. the less you "expect", the more you get. One big error is thinking that previous encounters influence your next encounter. Thats not a thing here. Theres no chain hunting. Just press the button and hope for the best

Um thank you for all the responses everyone but this is really not what I asked or relevant to what I was saying! I just wanted to hear about people getting their shinies and how long it took them :') The rate is fair and I don't think the RNG is "broken", it is definitely working as intended! I'm not looking for chain hunting either, I just think these things feel the best when everyone can share what they've worked for haha 🙂

2 minutes ago, waterseraph said:

The rate is fair

WWWW @RysPicz mentioned 🗣️🗣️🗣️🗣️🗣️

The story I hate the most about my shiny adventures is how trying to get a shiny Ferroseed I instead got 3 shiny Klinks (now Klink, Klang and Klinklang) at Chargestone Cave which made me give up because I'm weak and soft. I think two of them made me go up to 40k ish and one of them was at 85k encounters. The longest was a Marill I got while EV training HP at around 120k, at that point I had given up on getting the Ferro and was just training my comps.

The most satisfactory one was when I literally got Donator Status, a friend invited me to a charm and 60 encounters after all that I got shiny Larvitar. Good stuff 😄

My longest shunt is 100% a Shiny Unown "A" i have. To put things in perspective, the best chance you have to get the majority is by going to Solaceon Ruins, where 20 of them share a singular spot (multiple of them), so you're bound to get duplicates at some point, also something you might need to know it's that Unown encs aren't your normal single enc shunts, they have a low appear rate, so sometimes you have to do a lot of steps to get an encounter, in fact, I'd say that it's pretty common to go +100 steps without an encounter (even with Illuminate + Lure).

Continuing my longest shiny hunt history, i was shunting in Solaceon Ruins to obtain more letters. I guess I was collecting too many shinies so the game chose to give me 115.187 encounter shunt this time, all of which were single/double enc Unowns. After 115k Unowns i finally found another one, the aforementioned "A", and you know the worst part of it? By that point i already had two Shiny Unowns A's, it was like the game was laughing at me, had to accept defeat and caught my third blue A.

Edited by Servor5555
1 hour ago, Servor5555 said:

My longest shunt is 100% a Shiny Unown "A" i have. To put things in perspective, the best chance you have to get the majority is by going to Solaceon Ruins, where 20 of them share a singular spot (multiple of them), so you're bound to get duplicates at some point, also something you might need to know it's that Unown encs aren't your normal single enc shunts, they have a low appear rate, so sometimes you have to do a lot of steps to get an encounter, in fact, I'd say that it's pretty common to go +100 steps without an encounter (even with Illuminate + Lure).

Continuing my longest shiny hunt history, i was shunting in Solaceon Ruins to obtain more letters. I guess I was collecting too many shinies so the game chose to give me 115.187 encounter shunt this time, all of which were single/double enc Unowns. After 115k Unowns i finally found another one, the aforementioned "A", and you know the worst part of it? By that point i already had two Shiny Unowns A's, it was like the game was laughing at me, had to accept defeat and caught my third blue A.

Honestly if you are able to complete the unown alphabet you should get like a trophy or something.

My longest hunt was probably a Lickitung/Wobbuffet with 76k encounters (if I remember correctly), but the longer it takes the more stubborn I get. 

This is nothing compared to others luck. For example, Bearminator went >200k encounters for his Poliwag iirc, poor man. The only lucky staff member we have out there is @Revz. If he used his luck on lottery tickets instead of shinies he would be living as a king irl, but he has his priorities straight. 

1 hour ago, Seth said:

My longest hunt was probably a Lickitung/Wobbuffet with 76k encounters (if I remember correctly), but the longer it takes the more stubborn I get. 

This is nothing compared to others luck. For example, Bearminator went >200k encounters for his Poliwag iirc, poor man. The only lucky staff member we have out there is @Revz. If he used his luck on lottery tickets instead of shinies he would be living as a king irl, but he has his priorities straight. 

You can't paint lottery tickets 

3 hours ago, Seth said:

Between 2013 and 2016 I had no shiny, but I ev'd a loooot during that time. I still wonder what my number was.

Longest hunt I actually measured to some point was mentioned poliwag, stopped counting at 230k, probably had around 30-40k after that.

Shortest was 7 encounters in 2016 - shiny smeargle. 

the longest 159k of meetings to have it and the day it came out I killed myself for not having a well prepared team since this friend lowers the price and it is hell

I saw him again 5k meetings later and captured him

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8cdbb7a438c084b58236d610b651481e.png

The one that cost me the least was this porygon with 30 boxes of lapras and literally 1 porygon egg.

Spoiler

image.png.58b7cd48a844d5b73fd1aabcaa1ae07a.png

6 hours ago, Seth said:

If he is able to win the lottery then he is the chosen one. Seriously... you are more likely to be born x20 000 times over with 11 fingers than winning the lottery. You have a better chance to get killed / eaten by a shark on land than winning the lottery.

my friend, He wants the shiny of single meet, than 93k counters no shiny.This is a screenshot of last month, and it may have reached 100k now.I've been seeing him since it was less than 10k. He has been playedfor 700 hours continuously..Of course, I'm not bad either. I haven't shiny for 2300 hours at the longest, and I've been incubating eggs all the time.

IMG_20240223_011741.jpg

Edited by ddnodollar
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I think that my longest hunt was one of my 3 first shiny Pokemon, I didn't use leppa for them, only single encounters, my first was Cottonee at +200 hours, like a week later Oddish and like 1 year later Numel, now they are Whimsicott, Bellossom and Camerupt.

FB_IMG_17006854987363897.jpg

received_555171995580920.jpeg

FB_IMG_17006850949409633.jpg