PSL XVI Feedback and suggestions for next PSL

2 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Also, out of pure principe, UT stands for Untiered, a format that exists in defiance of any tiering getting done. It would be a disservice imo if we started to change it through tiering.

Under these assumptions I don't see how you can claim that PSL should add UT next season 
Are you gonna depend on Munya to change the pokedex to allow or disallow certain mons :'D Cause it doesn't happen every rotation

Edited by TohnR
6 minutes ago, TohnR said:

Under these assumptions I don't see how you can claim that PSL should add UT next season 
Are you gonna depend on Munya to change the pokedex to allow or disallow certain mons :'D Cause it doesn't happen every rotation

If it's usage movements, we can do that sure. When I'm talking about tiering, I mean actual bans which I think we should not consider at all.

7 hours ago, gbwead said:

NU is extremely volatile already and UT being dependant on NU usage would be even more. I don't think there is any point in trying to do any tiering for UT. Any tiering decision by the time gets reached becomes void by the time we would get the next usage drop. If something ends up broken, so be it because it's very likely by the time we figure out it's broken, it probably wouldn't be anymore.

Also, out of pure principe, UT stands for Untiered, a format that exists in defiance of any tiering getting done. It would be a disservice imo if we started to change it through tiering.

On smogon, Ubers was supposed to be the tier for only the broken legendarys with no restrictions, and yet the tier had to put rules after Mega-Rayquaza. If the PSL starts in October, the way untiered started it would go through entire championship. On the worst scenario, we would have to deal with an single tiershift. We can afford an Banlist and we should to ensure that the tier remains competitive(And I've already play test matches, you guys don't know how stupidly broken fight-types are in the format because there is lack of Fight Resistances. Best we had was Amoongus and Qwilfish but Qwilfish rised to NU and Amoongus to OU after HAs.)

Edited by caioxlive13

I've seen some really good suggestions raised here and on Discord and I know a few people are already planning out some great ideas for a future PSL.

I think the main thing people should focus on is bringing back the identify that PSL had - high-quality players, high-quality matches, memorable teams, drama, with hopefully a return of many older players.

Keep up the comments everyone, all input is appreciated.

Seeing a few ideas to make the competition more elite I propose to do 2 leagues in the year, first named (for example) ChampionshipLeague and our classic PokemmoSuperLeague.

What would consist ChampionshipLeague: It would be like every psl of each year, with managers picks, auction, new players, 8-10 tiers and all we have known as psl.

What would consist new PSL: The finalist teams in Championship have guaranteed a spot in PSL, managers are selected again and players will qualify in a draft with the best players of Championship like best OU (7-0), best UU(6-1), etc... (for example). After this draft we can have an auction but taking in mind a format only of 6 tiers and 6 matches per week (OU UU NU Dubs LC UT), these brings more hype in the matches and only the best players in each team (in their format) can play.

Anothers random ideas:

• Untiered as serious format (like LC would need an unofficial council imo).
  • The first place in season deserve a % of the prize (If it's 100m, 10m could be distributed to them).
  • No more ManagerChoices, every season we have troubles about timmings from managers and host to decide and send MC/lineups, causing week release later (its not beef to PBC, happened before too).
  • Council over Host to have democracy.

I suggest the following 7 tier format:

1. OU (2pts)
  2. OU
  3. UU
  4. NU
  5. Dubs
  6. LC
  7. UT

There would be 2 OU duels per week. One would be worth 2 pts; the second one would be worth 1 pt. This could give us very hyped match ups since it will mean managers will have a big incentive to always put their best player in the OU slot worth more. No dodging basically.

We have an average of 250k OU duels per month compared to 5k in UU, 7k in NU and 9k in Dubs. I understand that some might find it boring to have 3 OU duels in a 8 tiers PSL lineup, but OU still needs to be well represented in PSL since more than 90% of the duels played in PokeMMO are OU duels.

Edited by gbwead

UT should NEVER be in PSL. It is a joke of a format and the standard would be astronomically low. We already push it a bit by including LC which isn't a real tier anymore. Comparative to what could be a showdown tier, which was at an all time high in terms of level & hype last PSL. (I was against showdown tiers but the last PSL with showdown tiers in really convinced me they belong in the event) 

I like the idea of a BO3 format for a new tier slot:

OU (game 1)
UU or NU (game 2 loser chooses)
game 3 whichever tier hadn't been chosen, rather than a third OU. 

OU 
OU
BO3 (win = 1pt)
UU
NU
LC
Dubs
DPP / ORAS / SV (whatever community votes on)

Would be my ideal format, or drop it down to 6 with:

OU
OU
UU
NU
LC

DUBS

Edited by Luke

I suggest..

1. OU
  2. OU
  3. UU
  4. NU
  5. Dubs
  6. LC OU
  7. UT
  8. LC DB

Reason for no ps: bc it's mmo

Reason for LC DB: only one db in psl seems lonely, isn't it? Roll the lucky star in LC :).   Also LC DB may have better stable enviroment UU/NU/UT, maybe. (Although it's not official, but still fun). And LC community can support the regular tour to test it out. (And getting more data to build next lcpl

Reason for 8 tires: to get tie and drama.

Edited by EEdays
Added comment
On 4/16/2024 at 1:10 PM, Imperial said:

PSL is starting to lose its identity as the years go on. It used to be known as the competition for only the most elite and top players in the game but admittedly the quality has been decreasing over time. Although there are still some great quality matches, the overall quality has definitely reduced.

Not gonna lie, I hate this statement a lot. It's extremely biased and should not be considered as factual. That's just nostalgia talking most of the time. People tend to remember past PSLs more fondly than recent PSLs while also remembering their past experience as better than they actually were while in reality, PSL is probably just a series of ups and downs since the first edition and not a negative slop forever going down like people like to claim. The treatment recent PSLs get is not fair because they are not looked through an objective lens but rather through a subjective nostalgia-type of lens. Things changes, meta changes, people changes so does most elite and top players. Old top players become washed or leave altogether, new top players break through and replaces them and this happening is not a bad thing, it just shows the community can replenish itself with new skilled players. It's not because you and your friends used to take part in past PSLs that all things happening after that period have gone down hill in quality. It's a very self-centered way to view things and very inaccurate. It feels like some are trying to delegitimize new events just because they are not in them or because it's not like it used to be, it's very disingenuous for new players who are trying to make a name of themselves. Some people look down on PSLs now and like to drag it down simply to elevate the times they were in it which is what kills the hype IMO.

Edited by LeZenor
On 4/23/2024 at 11:34 AM, Luke said:

UT should NEVER be in PSL. It is a joke of a format and the standard would be astronomically low. We already push it a bit by including LC which isn't a real tier anymore. Comparative to what could be a showdown tier, which was at an all time high in terms of level & hype last PSL. (I was against showdown tiers but the last PSL with showdown tiers in really convinced me they belong in the event) 

I agree that UT seems to be a bad idea but like i sayed about showdown: 

On 4/16/2024 at 7:18 PM, caioxlive13 said:

- Showdown Tiers: Bad idea. Not like it at all because it undervalue MMO players. The problem is when on PokéMMO Super League there is players that don't play PokéMMO at all, or play it a little and focus mainly on Smogon tours. If there is Showdown tiers, there will be players registering that are good on smogon, but are complety unknown on MMO, and registered due to some friend manager request. Also, there is some Non-official formats on MMO like VGC and Untiered, that are never given a chance. Unless the first suggestion i placed is applied, not a chance to put those tiers

It's either Multiple OUs, 6 tiers which is pretty low, or Untiered. Unless there is a way to verify the hours played of people on PSL, without relying on staffs because they has other tasks to do and can't help 100% of time on PSL, to comprove that he really plays MMO and didn't arrive 1 week before tour, Showdown is not an option.

Edited by caioxlive13