UU Viability Thread

Zangoose for at least "A".

It's potential is incredible for both lategame sweeps and wallbreaking with both CB set and SD set. Maybe it does have cardboard-like defenses, but the sheer power of 115 base atk banded / +2 silk scarfed Return is nothing to laugh at, as even it's potential counters, once weakened, will fall down.

This shit is scary even in OU :V

I've been meaning to update this and I keep forgetting. Somebody noticed.  :ph34r:

Update coming soon.

I'm going to update the Pokemon which are already on the list soon, but until then:

Opinions on the placement of Umbreon and Vaporeon thus far?

vaporeon bl xD and umbreon idk, he's like a chansey for uu but with less support capabilities and shit offense. It's bait for a lot of stuff

If only there were Guts in UU

Someone forgot about Swellow?

Also I feel like Raticate is pretty viable, with guts and access to swords dance, along with a respectable speed, the silk scarf set is like a faster Zangoose that cannot be statused (otherwise it really fucking hurts). Tried it several times. I think it does deserve a place on the list as at least "C" although it doesn't need much support

I don't care about your opinions on if the Umbreon or Vaporeon should remain in UU or not. Save it for later.

I'm asking if anybody has any input regarding the placement of these two mons in the UU Viability Rankings. This is a community guide and reference source, so I value community input*. Information on what the guide is can be found here. If there is no input, I will make changes based on my own knowledge. This isn't to say they are set in stone, but sometimes making a move will spark discussion.

Edited by DrCraig

The following changes have been made to the UU Viability Rankings:

• Kangaskhan moved from S to A+
  • Zangoose moved from B to A+
  • Gligar moved from B+ to B
  • Crobat moved from B to B+
  • Glalie moved from B to B+
  • Sneasel moved from C to B+
  • Aggron moved from C to B
  • Electrode moved from D to C
  • Raticate moved from D to C

It has been a while since I have last updated this thread, so feel free to reacquaint yourself with the rules and rankings themselves. Feel free to discuss.

Trash posts are not welcome.

[hr]

Btw vapo ban after 2 tournaments for being unhealthy? lol

If only we had proof that anything happened to the meta in the ban write up instead of theorymon that dick rides everybody's initial resistance to change.

Sigh

vapo A imo. growth set is really strong and will almost guarantee a kill/something gets dented hard as fuck. i haven't seen it as a cleric/wisher so i'm unsure of that, but i've been told it's hard to switch into moves, for both sets. umb may even be A aswell, but i haven't seen it used too much. really fucking bulky, can spread status (aka toxic) but i believe the meta has changed so toxic isn't that strong. umb has no offense at all, literally setup bait for just about anything.

i don't read

Edited by Toast

Btw vapo ban after 2 tournaments for being unhealthy? lol

If only we had proof that anything happened to the meta in the ban write up instead of theorymon that uguu rides everybody's initial resistance to change.

Sigh

Something the writeup didn't highlight all that much is that vapo was basically terrifying UU players into stacking their team with an absurd number of pokemon that put pressure on vaporeon. Sift through some replays of the last UU tourney and you'll see a lot of people running 2-3 grass pokemon + tentacruel/muk. Sure, tenta and grasses like plume/exegg/cradily/breloom are already highly viable and used frequently, but stacking multiple of them on a team in an effort to limit or eliminate vaporeon switch ins is a clear sign of centralization, in my eyes.

I also think, on paper, the growth set was incredibly problematic. And it's something that would have become more apparent as time went on, since a modest vaporeon with a good hidden power isn't that easy to breed for - then you also have to slap a 10k bp move on there. With a ban looming, it's not something people were willing to invest their limited resources in and I think that's the main reason we didn't see that set tearing through the last tournament.

I would advice to wait until we get a clear message from TC/ staff regarding the 4th gen choice items before making any moves of pokes to different ranks. I feel like banning them from use in tournaments is possible, considering how huge impact they have on our meta. I feel like we need gen4 pokes, moves and abilities before they can be competitively used.
That's just my opinion tho

I would advice to wait until we get a clear message from TC/ staff regarding the 4th gen choice items before making any moves of pokes to different ranks. I feel like banning them from use in tournaments is possible, considering how huge impact they have on our meta. I feel like we need gen4 pokes, moves and abilities before they can be competitively used.
That's just my opinion tho

Couldn't you say the same thing about physical special split? To not allow the new choice items just because "we dont have the rest of gen 4" is absurd. We just have to adapt, the theory that we "can't balance" a hybrid meta is complete speculation, and not trying to is just a defeatist attitude

Couldn't you say the same thing about physical special split? To not allow the new choice items just because "we dont have the rest of gen 4" is absurd. We just have to adapt, the theory that we "can't balance" a hybrid meta is complete speculation, and not trying to is just a defeatist attitude

I did say it before the split happened.

I don't see it as absurd, it's only one of the possible solutions because this definietly is a problem we all will have to face. I haven't said it's written in stone that this is the only one. It's my opinion and suggestion.

I haven't said anything that we "can't balance" nor implied that anywhere, i don't know where you got this retaarded conclusion from. Don't put words I haven't said into my mouth (or anything else, to be exact ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ). Oh, also, guess what- I tried it already in yesterday's UU. I'm not having a defeatist attitude. I only pointed one goddamn solution from many yet you went into Emlee mode almost as if I offended your mother.

Chill out.

Edited by RysPicz

I did say it before the split happened.

I don't see it as absurd, it's only one of the possible solutions because this definietly is a problem we all will have to face. I haven't said it's written in stone that this is the only one. It's my opinion and suggestion.

I haven't said anything that we "can't balance" nor implied that anywhere, i don't know where you got this retaarded conclusion from. Don't put words I haven't said into my mouth (or anything else, to be exact ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ). Oh, also, guess what- I tried it already in yesterday's UU. I'm not having a defeatist attitude. I only pointed one goddamn solution from many yet you went into Emlee mode almost as if I offended your mother.

Chill out.

Lol how many times do I have to say this? You are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone. I am also entitled to tell you why that opinion is foolish, in my eyes. I wasn't offended at all by your comment, the harshest word I used in my response was "absurd." I'll say it again - suggesting that we disallow scarf/specs from PVP until we get full gen 4 stuff (which we know isn't happening anytime soon, especially the pokemon/moves) is absurd and the better solution is to balance the metagame we have. If you truly think the devs implemented scarf/specs just to see them disallowed in PVP, you and I aren't in the same ballpark of reality

I feel like we need gen4 pokes, moves and abilities before they can be competitively used.

This directly implies that you don't think the meta can be balanced without ALL of gen 4 stuff. It's fine if you think that, but you're just pulling it out of thin air. We won't have any idea until we try

• 1 month later...

The UU Viability Thread has returned!

The list has been updated and now only contains Pokemon recorded in the most recent usage update. I'm glad this thread is back up to serve as a source of reference in this brand new UU meta.

I have filled the list out with personal rankings to set up a rough list, but this thread is not set in stone. This thread will function as a discussion of the UU metagame as well as a Pokemon viability rankings. Do not hold back on discussing your thoughts; how you think can go better, or what you think everything is already going well. Bringing underrated Pokémon up for discussion is also part of a viability thread discussion. When proposing a ranking change please post reasoning behind your argument to strengthen your position as well as to make sure we avoid the thread being littered or derailed.

latest?cb=20120627194432

Edited by DrCraig

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.