[Implemented] The Implementation of Berry Planting

Bag_Tamato_Berry_Sprite.pngBerry PlantingBag_Tamato_Berry_Sprite.png

Since we have Hoenn now, I was just wondering if the developers are planning to implement the mechanics for planting berries, it would be a great addition to the game.  It's simply boring and lazy to just go to Saffron market and buy what ever berries we need, it would  also gives players something new to do. (This means removing the berry merchant from Saffron market)

Pros

1. Berries will increase in value, therefore better economy.

2. A new method of making cash.

Cons

1. More grind (Get over it, it's a MMO)

Do you think the implementation of these mechanics will help the game's economy? Feel free to share your opinions, please keep this thread salt free.

Edited by Hassan

I don't really see how this would make berries increase in value since it'd be like allowing players to get free berries every so often, while still being able to buy them from Saffron whenever their planted supply was running low.

I don't really see how this would make berries increase in value since it'd be like allowing players to get free berries every so often, while still being able to buy them from Saffron whenever their planted supply was running low.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the removal of the berry merchant from Saffron market.

Edited by Hassan

Sorry, I forgot to mention the removal of the berry merchant from Saffron market.

This would absolutely kill my desire to fight.  I use lum, liechi, and petya berry all on one team and I would never fight for fun again using those berries if I had to farm them constantly.
That being said, I think the berry planting mechanics are nice and Farming in Runescape is a good example of how such mechanics can be fun.  I think the berries you plant and raise should have a use without removing the old berries from shops though.  Perhaps even add seed pouches to those shops that you can buy to plant stuff.  I've never actually used the berry planting feature in the main games so I don't know how they work, but I remember something about crushing them and making medicine or something?

Something I'd like is maybe also being able to trade unique berries that are only obtainable from planting seeds in a farming patch to an NPC called "Berry Maniac" or something for TMs, certain items, etc.  Or the devs could do something completely new and unique to PokeMMO with the mechanics. 

I think a Farming Skill-ish system would be great though, which if you haven't played Runescape you plant stuff and wait a while, maybe watering it occasionally until it grows to a full plant then you pick it and get items based on the plant like herbs, fruits, etc.  This would give some purpose to me just standing around in vermilion talking to friends, as I could just do farm runs every so often and get benefits from that.  If such a system were put in place the rewards would need to be useful, but not overpowered.  You are just standing around watching grass grow after all, it's more a dedication thing than a skill thing.

Pretty sure they are planning on this. What I think/hope they are gonna do with berries is make them "craftable" into vitamins and such.

also this ^
I'd love being able to get vitamins without spending money, even if it is a little extra work like farming. 

Edited by DaftKitteh

Pretty sure they are planning on this. What I think/hope they are gonna do with berries is make them "craftable" into vitamins and such.

Wrote a thing about this a few months ago, I can link it again

[spoiler]Berry Planter

Able to plant berries more efficiently, and able to craft these berries into other items.

Teacher: Berry master in Hoenn.

Unlock each tier with money investment and experience.

Berry experience: Berries harvested and items created

Upon reaching tier 3 and unique cosmetic item related to the profession is given.

Tier 1:

Able to create Tier 1 Vitamins, which add +5 to a certain EV.

Able to create Tier 1 EV reducers, which remove -5 off a certain EV.

Able to create Tier 1 Battle Items, which add a temporary x2 to a stat in battle.

Able to create Tier 1 PP restores, which restore 10 pp of a move (ether)

Able to create Tier 1 PP ups, which add +1 to a moves maximum pp (Pp up)

Able to create berry juice which restores 50 hit points of a pokemon (super potions)

-Increases amount of harvested berries by 2-3

- Pokeblocks made are 10% better

-Can plant tiny mushrooms

Tier 2:

Able to create Tier 2 Vitamins, which add +10 to a certain EV.

Able to create Tier 2 EV reducers, which remove -10 off a certain EV.

Able to create Tier 2 Battle Items, which add a temporary x3 to a stat in battle.

Able to create Tier 2 PP restores, which restore all PP of a move (max ether)

Able to create Tier 2 PP ups, which add +2 to a moves maximum pp (2 Pp up)

Able to create berry juice which restores 200 hit points of a pokemon (hyper potion)

- Increases amount of harvested berries by 3-4

-Pokeblocks are 20% better

- Can plant big mushrooms

Tier 3:

Able to create Tier 3 Vitamins, which add +15 to a certain EV.

Able to create Tier 3 EV reducers, which remove -15 off a certain EV.

Able to create Tier 3 Battle Items, which add a temporary x4 to a stat in battle.

Able to create Tier 3 PP restores, which restores the PP to max off all moves (max elixir)

Able to create Tier 3 PP ups, which maxes a moves maximum pp (Pp max)

Able to create berry juice which restores all hit points of a pokemon (max potion)

- Increases amount of harvested berries by 4-5

- Pokeblocks are 30% better[/spoiler]

I got some bad news for you unless this is outdated.

welp that's really unfortunate. 

Bag_Tamato_Berry_Sprite.pngBerry PlantingBag_Tamato_Berry_Sprite.png

Since we have Hoenn now, I was just wondering if the developers are planning to implement the mechanics for planting berries, it would be a great addition to the game.  It's simply boring and lazy to just go to Saffron market and buy what ever berries we need, it would  also gives players something new to do. (This means removing the berry merchant from Saffron market)

Pros

1. Berries will increase in value, therefore better economy.

2. A new method of making cash.

Cons

1. More grind (Get over it, it's a MMO)

Do you think the implementation of these mechanics will help the game's economy? Feel free to share your opinions, please keep this thread salt free.

I like the idea of farming, but I feel that forcing you to do it or paying a pretty heavy price for the berries will put limitations on competitive play.  Consumable mechanics work, but in the other games I've played you have the potential to gain something from combat.  For instance in runescape, when in PvP areas like the wilderness if you kill someone you get their items which pays for the potions, food etc. that you use when fighting.  In PokeMMO however, the only way to make money via PvP is events, both official and unofficial. 

As it stands, berries are currently easily obtainable, take money out of the game, and reasonably priced.  This puts no limits on competitive play.  Only talking about stat boosting berries / status removing berries, I use loads of these a day when I'm attempting to practice.  If I were to have to go through our trading system I would need to find someone in trade chat selling the item I want for a reasonable price(not as easy as it sounds), meet up with them and trade them for the berries.  I don't mind this system for items like Choice Bands which I'll only need one of, but for something that I consume 10-20 a day in PvP with absolutely no reward I feel it leaves me with a few options:
- Don't use these berries or the pokes I need them for.  So I can no longer use my DD Kingdra, my DD Gyarados, my Ninetails, my Linoone, and a large selection of my other pokes
- Only use berries when in events: Now I can't practice with any pokes that use berries because it's a waste, and events aren't a reliable source of money anyways.
- Use an external Battle Simulator such as showdown to practice.  This requires no money, no berries, I don't even need to own the team yet so I can practice with all different kinds of pokes then build a team in game when I find something that works.  This is the best option.
- Go through the hassle of trading, spending what would probably be 2-10k per berry depending on how the mechanics work, just so I can practice and receive nothing back even when I win.

I'm not trying to say just because it's competitive play it needs to be easy, I just disagree that berries used in PvP need to be farmed.  I hate dealing with our trading system, most of the traders are incredibly rude and are a pain to deal with and if I have to do that or farm my own berries for PvP I think at some point I'd realize it's just not worth it.  PokeMMO has a very skill based competitive scene, it's mostly a strategy game and it takes a lot of practice to get good.  If I'm having to pay a hefty price for my berries just so I can improve myself and get better at what is arguably our best end-game content it's just not worth it.  I think rather than being punished for trying to improve yourself, there should be some kind of PvP content that rewards you for fighting others and playing the game.

Maybe I'm taking it to extremes, if the berries are farm-able at say 20 berries for a single farm run a day that'd be fine for just PvP berries, but when you add in other berries commonly used like Leppa berries and EV reducing berries it really starts to become a problem.  The only real reason to play competitively is because you enjoy it.  It's not very profitable, honestly it  consumes quite a bit of time and money to get into and then when you finally win an event big enough to have a decent prize you've already invested a lot into it.  I think the last thing we need is to make getting into competitive play harder, more expensive and/or more annoying. 

tl dr; I don't see the point of removing the berries commonly used for PvP(anything that boosts stats, lum and chesto berries are the main ones I can think of) from the shops as they bring money out of the game and are easy to obtain as well as reasonably priced, so I don't feel like I'm wasting them when I practice or just play PvP for fun.
I do however see the potential that farming brings, and think that the other berries as well as some other new ones + new uses for berries would be really nice and would add another end game piece of content.
Also I use Runescape as a reference too much because most people I've talked to have played it before and it's easiest for them to understand.
and I write too many walls of text.

Edited by DaftKitteh

I don't think removing the saffron NPC is too harmful, depending on how easy berry farming actually is.
Like, if the market is literally flooded with berries cause it's so easy, but farming it is still the only way to get it. That's cool right?

Anyways. I think it'd be neat if the more you farm the same berry, the easier it is. Maybe a play on surrounding patches.

This would promote specializing on one berry, you'd have a ton of different people farming lums or chestos or EV-reducing berries, salacs and liechis, and it'd work extremely well in a guild where people agree to take on one of each, and they'd end up trading them 1 for 1; rather than a solo play where you can farm literally everything and be just as efficient.

Actually I agree with you Eggplant as long as this -> "depending on how easy berry farming actually is." be a thing. Berries are a really important part of the competitive play so if those become too difficult to get then we would have a problem since they're just single use only

What are you complaining about? Berries are super easy to farm in the original games. If they implement them in the same way I don't see a reason for an increase in value. Or did they completely change the way berries where farmed after gen 3?

• 2 months later...

Please don't remove the berry merchant, not everyone wants to " Grind " berries, we usually just buy them as fast as possible between battles.
Also raising the cost of berries with this dead economy will be like cancer, please make things better, easier, or at least let them stay as they are.
I don't mind implementing berry planting, but do we really, really have to be forced to grind berries and not have an easy way of just buying them like we always did ? I'm sure having both ways is just legit af, if you can afford them buy'em from the mart, if not you can always grind them and have fun, thoughts ?

Lmap, you can't be serious, we have 10minutes to switch our pokemons, sometimes less, so you're telling me I should break my concentration and look for the specific berries I need in tard chat and negociate with them, even having to overpay because I don't have a choice and time is running out. So this is the smart way ? I have the biggest facepalm right now, and you know what, I don't care just remove the merchant, if that will satisfy your smart thinking.

• 5 months later...

I posted this as a warning, I hope you guys stocked up on berries. It's time to get into the farming game, bout to make that money. For those who are going to farm, make sure to sell your berries for 20k each, tyvm.

Edited by Hassy

I posted this as a warning, I hope you guys stocked up on berries. It's time to get into the farming game, bout to make that money. For those who are going to farm, make sure to sell your berries for 20k each, tyvm.

Waste of time to those who stocked up on berries. Who's laughing now.

Waste of time to those who stocked up on berries. Who's laughing now.

• Berries obtained from Saffron's Berry Merchant have been marked as Untradeable. If a player owned more than 15 of any Berry species purchased from Saffron's Berry Mart, their count has been reduced to 15 and their money has been refunded.

The berries you stocked up on via mart is being reduced to 15.