OU Viability Thread

I think Haunter is solid B. It's an unreliable spinblocker but spinblocker nevertheless. Reliable Linoone stopper, nice specsweeper, Chansey has nothing on it. A lot of good things going for it. Umbreon is a problem but PerishTrap can troll it hard. Chansey is just overall better than Umbreon at its job so I think Umbreon isn't THE Pokemon to worry about.

I'd be more worried about Metagross & Aerodactyl

What about miltank? I am new to this whole thing so i am just trying to learn :( This thread is very helpful by the way so thank you for making it

WHAT ABOUT MILTANK HUH?

Uh Miltank Id personally put at D or C if you're feeling generous. There's a few normal types are 'better' to use. However with a lack of ghost types, Miltank can essentially abuse Curse, Milk Drink, Heal Bell, Normal Move and be unbreakable. Miltank is pretty much a niche right now b/c it isn't very relevant in the meta. 

WHAT ABOUT MILTANK HUH?

Uh Miltank Id personally put at D or C if you're feeling generous. There's a few normal types are 'better' to use. However with a lack of ghost types, Miltank can essentially abuse Curse, Milk Drink, Heal Bell, Normal Move and be unbreakable. Miltank is pretty much a niche right now b/c it isn't very relevant in the meta. 

U dont think that its just underrated? I mean a few curses and it could be over.

U dont think that its just underrated? I mean a few curses and Skarmory could WW you out of battle again

cant WW the last poke, then pp stall (dont know who wins that) also can forgo milkdrink/healbell for rest so you can firepunch (i think she gets that). Although there is something to be said for the ability to support the team and set up sweep.

But i guess skarm does carry toxic often and can out do the healbell. So that would suck

Edited by codylramey

cant WW the last poke, then pp stall (dont know who wins that) also can forgo milkdrink/healbell for rest so you can firepunch (i think she gets that). Although there is something to be said for the ability to support the team and set up sweep.

But i guess skarm does carry toxic often and can out do the healbell. So that would suck

Not to mention that everything in OU carries Toxic

Edit: Rest Skarm, Any Dusclops/Haunter and probably Gyara/Arc/Metagross  combo can just stall you out. 

Edited by Robofiend

Rhydon at least B+ if not A.

This thing is a goddamn beast and the hero we need right now in our physically-oriented meta. Takes hits like a boss, has some decent amount of switches (Chansey, Magneton, Rockslide-locked Aero, Arcanine, stops the dreaded Linoone cold) and plows through enemy walls like no other pokemon. Megahorn kills Ludicolo, EQ/ RS hits everything hard as fuck when fired off that monstrous 130 base attack, Fire Punch shows Forret where is it's place. SD + 3 attacks proved to be the most dangerous set on a Jolly Rhydon, but CB Rhydon also has it's power, especially due to the amount of switches it causes.

Has at least 3 viable sets:

Sd/ Rs/ Eq/ megahorn

Sub/ Sd/ Rs/ Eq

Rs/ Eq/ Megahorn/ Fire Punch (CB)

Oh and it lives through non-cb Meteor Mash and usually kills Metagross with it's own EQ.

Rhydon is a punishment for anyone who uses a heavy wall team.

Rhydon at least B+ if not A.

This thing is a goddamn beast and the hero we need right now in our physically-oriented meta. Takes hits like a boss, has some decent amount of switches (Chansey, Magneton, Rockslide-locked Aero, Arcanine, stops the dreaded Linoone cold) and plows through enemy walls like no other pokemon. Megahorn kills Ludicolo, EQ/ RS hits everything hard as fuck when fired off that monstrous 130 base attack, Fire Punch shows Forret where is it's place. SD + 3 attacks proved to be the most dangerous set on a Jolly Rhydon, but CB Rhydon also has it's power, especially due to the amount of switches it causes.

Has at least 3 viable sets:

Sd/ Rs/ Eq/ megahorn

Sub/ Sd/ Rs/ Eq

Rs/ Eq/ Megahorn/ Fire Punch (CB)

Oh and it lives through non-cb Meteor Mash and usually kills Metagross with it's own EQ.

Rhydon is a punishment for anyone who uses a heavy wall team.

I wouldn't consider it a hard stop to linoone considering iron tail or flail will just ko rhydon.

+6 252+ Atk Linoone Flail (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Rhydon: 215-253 (118.7 - 139.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But yeah, sd 3 attack set is nearly meta breaking, as barely anything can switch in on rhydon, either ohko'ed by +2 attack and outsped by rhydon, or ohko'ed by neutral attack and outspeed rhydon, either way the other person is screwed. 

I wouldn't consider it a hard stop to linoone considering iron tail or flail will just ko rhydon.

+6 252+ Atk Linoone Flail (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Rhydon: 215-253 (118.7 - 139.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But yeah, sd 3 attack set is nearly meta breaking, as barely anything can switch in on rhydon, either ohko'ed by +2 attack and outsped by rhydon, or ohko'ed by neutral attack and outspeed rhydon, either way the other person is screwed. 

Irontail, yes. However, setting up Flail is not possible against Rock Blast Rhydon.

Flail is really difficult to pull out and even then, it needs sub, drum, sub. It won't be able to do it against Rhydon with Rock Blast like GBrah said.

Is that SD necessary?  It breaks walls with or without but having sub means you can come in on weezing and getting a sub while they switch can be much more rewarding. 

It is. If you won't have SD, you won't be able to beat Weezing, also Skarm and Forret won't be scared of you either while Rhydon's objective in any team is to break enemy's defensive core.

It is. If you won't have SD, you won't be able to beat Weezing, also Skarm and Forret won't be scared of you either while Rhydon's objective in any team is to break enemy's defensive core.

You can beat Weez, Rhydon will beat Forre if forre switches in on eq or sub(not to mention we can run fire punch too), and Skarm can only WW or Counter you(scout counter then free rock blasts each time).

252+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 54-64 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

And I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt with full def + impish(a lot like to invest sp def)

0 Atk Forretress Earthquake vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Rhydon: 60-72 (33.1 - 39.7%) -- 16% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I would like to point out that both of the finalists in last nights OU toruny used Miltank. Inb4 usage skyrockets and robo is forced to admit i was right xD

Wasn't saying you're wrong necessarily, I'm just saying you have to be careful of Heracross/Blaze teams when building a team with lots of Normal types. I'd like to hear recommendations for Miltank ratings

Why nitpick when we can just acknowledge Rhydon has options

Why nitpick instead of nominating Rhydon for a rank? :)

TL;DR just nominate things for rankings, guys

• 2 weeks later...

recommendations for Miltank

TL;DR just nominate things for rankings, guys

Speed is surprising on it. The calcs say at 248 HP/248 DEF impish it can stand up to meteor mash and flygon's superpower (if it has a wish with it). B+ is my opinion: good and even surprising at times with what it can do, but not a top tier defender like weezing.

To elaborate a bit, I really haven't seen them in vermillion hardly ever to understand what one could do. It seems like you could maybe get a curse sweep going if you had gotten rid of any strong special attackers and got a bodyslam parahax on weezing. That's one of those things you can *maybe* pull off on a noob, but slim chance in a real match because no time. The ones I have seen just come in as a defender, spam milk drink to stay healthy, then they throw out body slams or a heal bell. um...the miltank is often saved until the end of the match to try to act like a wannabe curselax. That's all I know about it.

Edited by bl0nde

Curselax, I mean cow, for B. Thing has so much potential and can be used for so much surprise too. Support off the hook. Just fears them op fighting types we've got in game (blaz, hera, and champ). Otherwise it's a beast. Lf weezing teammate with a fast revenge killer to get rid of them wall breakers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.