Clean Up Our Streets! (Kill the NPCs)

Xatu

Question

Can we please get rid of the random npcs everywhere that serve no purpose.  Not many of them even give us items and its usually a 1 time thing.   Maybe once they give the item they can disappear idk, or maybe we could move them all to a pointless npc island in the middle of the water somewhere. 

1 minute ago, Zymogen said:

Are they enough of a problem to warrant the effort put into (re)moving them though? Sure it's annoying to bump into the old man in Vermilion but it isn't that big of a deal

Yeah because an MMO port town should be easy to traverse. 

1 minute ago, GeneralVenican said:

The NPCs are there to forward helpful info to beginners. Even tho its irrelevant to you, a beginner might find what he says useful or funny. There is no need to remove NPCs.

Lock it up, boys.

Nah they dont help the beginners they just give obscure advice on simple thing the players probably already know.  They will learn much more by talking to other players.

2 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Yeah because an MMO port town should be easy to traverse. 

Nah they dont help the beginners they just give obscure advice on simple thing the players probably already know.  They will learn much more by talking to other players.

Occupying one square/having a number of roaming squares =/= creating Vermilion difficult to traverse. You know where they are, so move around them. Big deal. 

Edited by Zymogen
Just now, Zymogen said:

Occupying one square/having a number of roaming squares =/= creating Vermilion difficult to traverse. You know where they are, move around them. Big deal. 

It would make the game feel much more polished.  The main port town in the game should have no obstacles and glitchy NPCs walking over other players.

5 minutes ago, Xatu said:

It would make the game feel much more polished.  The main port town in the game should have no obstacles and glitchy NPCs walking over other players.

Like I said, you know exactly where they are. They don't take up enough area of the town to create it a difficult place to navigate. 

We are talking about 2 NPCs in Vermilion that could potentially block your path should you be too blind to see them; the old man doesn't even move, for Christ's sake. Come on. 

Edited by Zymogen
35 minutes ago, Xatu said:

But what if they dont know and get a "aha, i didnt know that" experience. i bet u there are alot of people on here that never played pokemon before and came across this awsome MMO with monsters and lvls and grinding, which they like. 

33 minutes ago, Xatu said:

although in WoW u can walk through em, u shouldnt start playing it, cus it might be too messy for your taste. its a kids game, its suppose to look attractive, not polished. Would celadon look better with no people in the town?

Bilderesultat for celadon mapBilderesultat for celadon map

which one looks more cozy? (dont matter if the graphics are diffrent)

Edited by GeneralVenican
18 minutes ago, GeneralVenican said:

But what if they dont know and get a "aha, i didnt know that" experience. i bet u there are alot of people on here that never played pokemon before and came across this awsome MMO with monsters and lvls and grinding, which they like. 

although in WoW u can walk through em, u shouldnt start playing it, cus it might be too messy for your taste. its a kids game, its suppose to look attractive, not polished. Would celadon look better with no people in the town?

Bilderesultat for celadon mapBilderesultat for celadon map

which one looks more cozy? (dont matter if the graphics are diffrent)

The "people" in the game would be actual players.  Much more cozy than mindless npcs that literally dont even serve a purpose 95% of the time.

47 minutes ago, Zymogen said:

Like I said, you know exactly where they are. They don't take up enough area of the town to create it a difficult place to navigate. 

We are talking about 2 NPCs in Vermilion that could potentially block your path should you be too blind to see them; the old man doesn't even move, for Christ's sake. Come on. 

It's not just to clear up space.  Its to make the overall vibe of a port town feel more mmo-like.  You are literally defending lame ass npcs that walk over player sprites making the game look shitty and unfinished.

If it's worth mentioning it, a lot of people in both, the english and the spanish chat, usually ignore the NPCs texts as a whole.

People who are new to the Pokemon Games and, for some reason decide to pick PokeMMO as their first, usually simply ask for help to the other players.

And that includes people who are playing the FireRed and/or Emerald Plots for the 2nd, 3rd and so on time, they totally skip the NPCs dialogues and straight say "Now idk what to do, what comes next after /Insert any part of the game's story here/?"

So yeah, if people already ignore the important NPCs, I don't see why most of them would care about the useless ones.

With that said, I do have to point out that they give a little bit of life to the game, because seeing empty towns or cities would definitely NOT be cool at all.

So instead of completely remove them, moving them to places where they don't hinder anyone would be better.

EDIT: I do get that the other users also gives the feeling of things being alive, but when they don't look at all like the other NPCs referring specifically to how everyone has this D/P/Pt/HG/SS sort of design, it just doesn't feel as they belonged to these worlds, while the NPCs do feel like that.

Edited by Lunos
A little thing i've forgot to add.
19 minutes ago, Xatu said:

The "people" in the game would be actual players.  Much more cozy than mindless npcs that literally dont even serve a purpose 95% of the time.

Go around and ask 10 random people. i bet 2 of them answer seriously. There is no actually use in removing them when i could be a better profit for players to leave them alone. now stop being a idiot and realise this is a stupid suggestion. ur literally digging your nails off looking for a answer

This is just ridiculous, you are clearly discriminating against characters that aren't players. Just because they are not players like you and I doesn't mean you should treat them differently and is definitely not a reason to consider killing them off.

I for one had a nice conversation with a Youngster NPC who told me "I like shorts! They're comfortable and easy to wear!" And although this is hardly any revolutionary information for us experienced Pokemon fans I still feel better after reading it. I feel as though from this line alone it helped me learn a lot more about this youngsters character and his fighting spirit to become the best pokemon trainer in all the lands and I feel like I developed a real connection with this character which helped increase immersion immensely. I then tried to continue the conversation for a while but it seems like he only has a few lines which is disappointing and also rather immersion breaking, I feel as though a better suggestion would be to add the amount of dialogue options while talking to NPCs as I would much rather get to know each and every one of them in a deep and personal level instead of killing them off and ending their lives much before it is their time to pass away. 

Also about moving the NPCs after their use was done is highly inappropriate. You cannot just ask someone to move away from where they live just because they are not useful to you! They have lives and jobs in those city's not to mention friends, family and even lovers. You cannot go around and toy with other peoples lives because they are an inconvenience to you. How would you like it if your mother had to move house after I no longer had a use for her? (talking about making sandwiches and not anything sexual, what were you thinking perverts).

Please check your privilege before you post a harmful, discriminatory and excessively rude suggestion such as this.

6 hours ago, Xatu said:

Can we please get rid of the random npcs everywhere that serve no purpose.  Not many of them even give us items and its usually a 1 time thing.   Maybe once they give the item they can disappear idk, or maybe we could move them all to a pointless npc island in the middle of the water somewhere. 

Xatu, a lot of these npc's actually make this game cute and fun.

Some of them are lore friendly.

Like Memorial pillar.

The guys dead Onix name. Do you remember it?

Tectonix *tear.

10 hours ago, Noad said:

Lots of players start playing PokeMMO for nostalgia purposes and to only play the storyline. Removing NPCs will detract from this experience.

Then they should be playing the rom in a regular emulator.  I highly doubt any sane person is gonna notice the old guy missing in verm and be like "its not true to the orginal!!!111!".  This game is its own game and it shouldnt have to ride off of the ROM so hard.

7 hours ago, RacheLucario said:

Altering the behaviour of certain NPCs is perhaps not out of the question, but there is no chance whatsoever that they will be removed entirely.

Why because you said so? 

29 minutes ago, Xatu said:

Then they should be playing the rom in a regular emulator.  I highly doubt any sane person is gonna notice the old guy missing in verm and be like "its not true to the orginal!!!111!".  This game is its own game and it shouldnt have to ride off of the ROM so hard.

Why because you said so? 

Firstly I would appreciate it if you didn't address myself or my colleague so aggressively. We get a lot more out of discussions when they remain civil and open to considering an opposing argument. Rachel is simply trying to steer your suggestion into a more feasible form. 

On to the points you have raised here, yes an individual could play an emulator to relive their childhood experiences. However, what if every person who joined PokeMMO to play the story line did just that? We would lack a lot of our player base and the game would look rather empty. Removing many NPCs detracts so much from the immersion of playing a Pokemon game. Realistically who is going to want to play a game where the only NPC characters you interact with want to help you relearn moves or sell you breeding braces? 

8 minutes ago, Noad said:

Firstly I would appreciate it if you didn't address myself or my colleague so aggressively. We get a lot more out of discussions when they remain civil and open to considering an opposing argument. Rachel is simply trying to steer your suggestion into a more feasible form. 

On to the points you have raised here, yes an individual could play an emulator to relive their childhood experiences. However, what if every person who joined PokeMMO to play the story line did just that? We would lack a lot of our player base and the game would look rather empty. Removing many NPCs detracts so much from the immersion of playing a Pokemon game. Realistically who is going to want to play a game where the only NPC characters you interact with want to help you relearn moves or sell you breeding braces? 

Firstly your interpretation of me being aggressive is just that, your interpretation.  I was being quite civil while just bringing up my points. 

Secondly, people certainly shouldnt be playing this game to just play through the storyline.  I know many do and i acknowledge that the retention rate of those who finish the game is quite low.  Thats why there should be more things separating this game from the mainline games.  Like i said before.  We shouldnt be riding so hard on the ROMs.  NPC's might serve a purpose in the mainline games where there are literally no other players in the game but here we do have other players. 

I can't think of a single time when i talked to some random NPC in the middle of a path somewhere.  And i doubt you can find anyone who plays this game to talk to NPCs just to see 1 string of text which usually doesnt even say anything useful.

Just now, Xatu said:

Firstly your interpretation of me being aggressive is just that, your interpretation.  I was being quite civil while just bringing up my points. 

Secondly, people certainly shouldnt be playing this game to just play through the storyline.  I know many do and i acknowledge that the retention rate of those who finish the game is quite low.  Thats why there should be more things separating this game from the mainline games.  Like i said before.  We shouldnt be riding so hard on the ROMs.  NPC's might serve a purpose in the mainline games where there are literally no other players in the game but here we do have other players. 

I can't think of a single time when i talked to some random NPC in the middle of a path somewhere.  And i doubt you can find anyone who plays this game to talk to NPCs just to see 1 string of text which usually doesnt even say anything useful.

idk ppl need to play the storyline, if beginner or not. After they've finished it it's their choice to do whatever they want you can't forbid ppl to play this game if they just want to play the storyline.
Obviously you don't talk to npc since you know the game but I'm pretty sure u talk to NPCs in games you don't know cuz' free stuff, which u don't get without talking to random npcs sometimes.

you should check pallet town and channel chat sometimes. it's immense how many new player pokemmo has.

25 minutes ago, Xatu said:

They serve the same purpose as NPCs do in any other RPG/MMORPG, to add 'life' and 'story' to the cities and environments of the game.

There are NPCs who can give you helpful information, NPCs who comment on the surrounding areas and NPCs who reference other characters within the world.

Yes, players also add life to an MMO but NPCs exist to compliment the base of the game and the world it takes place in.

Sure, sometimes they're useless and once you've read the dialogue of a fair few of them you've already got the information you require but the world would feel rather shallow and empty without them there.

3 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

They serve the same purpose as NPCs do in any other RPG/MMORPG, to add 'life' and 'story' to the cities and environments of the game.

There are NPCs who can give you helpful information, NPCs who comment on the surrounding areas and NPCs who reference other characters within the world.

Yes, players also add life to an MMO but NPCs exist to compliment the base of the game and the world it takes place in.

Sure, sometimes they're useless and once you've read the dialogue of a fair few of them you've already got the information you require but the world would feel rather shallow and empty without them there.

Well maybe we can just make the ones that move be non-moving as to not walk over player sprites (making the game look glitchy, unpolished) with a  focus on vermilion because it is the main kick it spot.  And for the ones in the way of everything (looking at you old man) just move them over near the dirt patch to the right of vermilion.  Moving them somewhere still in the open but not in the way shouldnt affect anything for those who wish to speak to him. 

Honestly though i dont think you an compare the NPCs in this game to other MMORPGs.  In other games about 95% of those NPCs initiate a quest, or often a series of quests.  Then when you are done with the quests sometimes they overall disappear, this is useful to the player as well because they can visually see what quests there are available to them.  In PokeMMO its the opposite.  95% of the NPCs do absolutely nothing and 100% of them dont initiate any sort of quest.