Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

except currently it would cost 249,900 yen per poke to ev. also maybe we should wait till we finish tiers so people will have the time and money to invest on little cup?

also not getting DQ'd for time clause would be nice.

A little expensive to ev one poke:/

Talked to Noad, she wants me posting this here so I guess here we go.

- Change standard to 64 man, or alternatively don't decide if it is a 32 man or 64 man beforehand, decide based on the amount of sign ups

First off, let's find out why the most common official host, does do the hosting.

(This is my answer) - I personally enjoyed hosting events because it honestly brings the community together for an event, to see who can come out on top.

Noads response:

05ff5f000b1f65fe93d9fb33b6133cde.png

Noad enjoys to be around the community which happens at these events. Everybody works hard and gets all hyped to join the event. Then what happens? The registration of 32 man tournaments. It is extremely hard to get into these events because of the mass amount of people who sign up.

For example:

PokeMMO Spring Championship qualifier #1 received 75 sign ups with in 2 minutes.

This will take more time/more staff power when hosting, yes.

Although this also bring more competitive spirit to these tournaments because you don't just have to beat the top people who got in with luck, you need to actually be the best dueler that signed up.

-------

Also to people who have the trouble staying up for these events, I'm sorry if this makes it harder

If you have something to add, I welcome all ideas

If you support this idea and have nothing you would like to add, just like this please, I want this post to show how much the community is interested in these 64 man events.

Wouldn't 7PM GMT work on weekends ?

Most of the ppl here are either children in middleschool or highschool, which would be fine for them, or college age people working dead end jobs. Dead end jobs = working on weekends. I could be wrong about this but i know thats my situation at least. Im sure im not alone in this.

Basically i think alternating things a bit, hold it on weekends at this time then weekdays at that time would be good to allow more people to attend. If all of your tournies are on the same days around the same time every week then there are going to be ppl left out in the rain.

Edited by codylramey

I don't see a reason to have a limit on sign ups at all. Just make the bracket with everyone that wants to join in. Yeah some people will have to play an extra round but otherwise they wouldn't be able to play at all. You could also make it so that the people that signed up last get these extra rounds.

My two cents.

64 man tournament take too long, too much confusion, chance of byes(which are lame) and yea. 32 is ideal, 64 is nice on occasion.

64 dooesn't take too much longer if you know how to run a tournament well

And I even think Thinkies idea could work.

The problem with that is that signing up earlier gives you better odds than simon who my have signed up only moments after you.

I don't particularly mind his idea as I am consistently one of the 1st to register but yea, system would definitely reward those, as far as the bracket is concerned, who sign up quick.

I like the 1st half though.

I don't see a reason to have a limit on sign ups at all. Just make the bracket with everyone that wants to join in. Yeah some people will have to play an extra round but otherwise they wouldn't be able to play at all. 

64 man tournament take too long, too much confusion, chance of byes(which are lame) and yea. 32 is ideal, 64 is nice on occasion.

I dont really understand why a system that left out 40+ people who wanted to participate in the tourny last night ideal. I signed up right at the 50 mark but bc i have a slower internet connection i still made it 10 posts behind the 32 mark. Not only that its very rare that I, and others with similar schedules as me, even have a chance to do tournies so when i do finally get time off during a tourny and i dont get in bc i live in a shitty location for internet it really fucking sucks. I worked hard for my comps but i never get to use them outside of what ever town people are battling for fun in. Im sure im not the only one in this boat either bc a large portion of this community is college students with jobs and a lot of us in America have no great way of accessing the internet (thanks Obama).

Recruit more people to host tournies if time is an issue. Its only the first few rounds that need a lot of refs so if you recruit well renoune players who dont play tournies (archie, thinknice, senile) to JUST host tournies you can keep them around for the first few rounds and have 32, 16, and 8 rounds going on at the same time allowing the tournies to go really fast.

Recruit more people to host tournies if time is an issue. Its only the first few rounds that need a lot of refs so if you recruit well renoune players who dont play tournies (archie, thinknice, senile) to JUST host tournies you can keep them around for the first few rounds and have 32, 16, and 8 rounds going on at the same time allowing the tournies to go really fast.

I kind of doubt this would happen. Even though it would be nice since staff have these things called "lives" apparently, I don't think they want to give a non-staff member the responsibility of reffing matches.

I kind of doubt this would happen. Even though it would be nice since staff have these things called "lives" apparently, I don't think they want to give a non-staff member the responsibility of reffing matches.

prolly not. They should have a staff position that is only for refing tourn I es. You can still attend tournies n such but if you dont want to attend you can ref. And if you can only be there for the beginning then you can do that n leave. I think there has to be a way to make it possible for 64 man tournies to happen w/o it taking ages.

So if you kow how to call out names ad stare at battles it goes faster? Mehhh I highly doubt it

idt the refs actuqlly have to watch the matches anymorem most of it is autamated. But they do have to watch the beginning in order to see that all of the proper clauses were selected. Im sure they do more than that but the way i see it is that they can each call a group of contenders, see that they have the right clauses and then move on to the other group. Each ref does this one by one until all players on the first part of the bracket is fighting. Then you just need to record the winners. If you do it this way it would only take roughly an hour extra to hold a 64 man tourny. I think thats reasonable over leaving 32 possible contenders out of the tourny.

idt the refs actuqlly have to watch the matches anymorem most of it is autamated. But they do have to watch the beginning in order to see that all of the proper clauses were selected. Im sure they do more than that but the way i see it is that they can each call a group of contenders, see that they have the right clauses and then move on to the other group. Each ref does this one by one until all players on the first part of the bracket is fighting. Then you just need to record the winners. If you do it this way it would only take roughly an hour extra to hold a 64 man tourny. I think thats reasonable over leaving 32 possible contenders out of the tourny.

Yea, and I guess we just won't take usage either, just check if they have clauses.