[Doubles] PokéMMO World Championships!

Welcome to the (Unofficial) PokéMMO World Championships!

image.png.97e0ed2e1ea787e7d4237284bc551068.png

What is the PokéMMO World Championships?

The PokéMMO World Championships is a series of tournaments based off of the real world's Pokémon World Championship Series, where there is a series of pvp events all over the world for players to compete for the title of "World Champion"!

The PokéMMO World Championships will be an annual competition held by ZephyrBreezy to determine the "World Champion".  This series will be held in the form of "Regional Championships", one in each region. The locations and dates for each championship are as follows:

- Kanto Regional Championships - Saffron City, Silph Co. Building (Ground Floor) - May 4th 3PM BST

- Johto Regional Championships - Goldenrod City, Train Station - May 11th 3PM BST

- Hoenn Regional Championships - Lilycove City, Museum - May 18th 3PM BST

- Sinnoh Regional Championshps - Hearthome City, Contest Hall - May 25th 3PM BST

- Unova Regional Championships - Nimbasa City, Big Stadium - June 1st 3PM BST

- World Championships - Anville Town, Outdoors - June 15th 3PM BST

The Format

Battles will be in the VGC format. This means players will be allowed to have 6 Pokémon on their team, however for each battle, they may use only 4. 

The Preliminary rounds will be Best of 3 Swiss Rounds, with the total number of rounds being determined by how many players are in attendance. This means that all players will play a minimum of 4 rounds before potentially being knocked out of the competition.

After the Swiss rounds conclude, there will be a Top 16 playoff (assuming there are a minimum of 32 players in attendance). These will once again be Bo3 Swiss rounds, with 3 rounds of Swiss. If the minimum player count is not met for a top 16 round, the tournament will jump straight to Top Cut (Top 8).

Top Cut will be Bo3 Single Elimination, and will be the final section of the tournament. This means that if a player loses a set, that player is then knocked out of the tournament. The winner will be determined by the final match of Top Cut.

There will be Open Team Sheets. Players will be required to submit a PokéPaste of their team up to 15 minutes before the event starts, which will be whispered to their opponent before each battle. Players may reference this team sheet at any point during the match. Players may use the Pokémon Showdown Teambuilder to build their teams.

The following information must be included in the teamsheet:

- Pokémon (+ form, if relevant)

- Hidden Power Type (if relevant, otherwise the default Hidden Power Type is fine)

- Ability

- Moveset

- Item

The following information is Not required to be included on the teamsheet:

- Nature

- EVs

- IVs 

(Note that if you have a specific Hidden Power Type, You should click the "Export to Poképaste (Open Team Sheet)" option when exporting your team to Poképaste)

image.png.021e2176066dd8733bf69c02656ae03f.png

You must ensure that the teamsheet submitted is correct, as any Pokémon with incorrect information may not be used for the duration of the tournament. If 3 or more Pokémon have incorrect information submitted on the teamsheet, the player will be disqualified from the tournament. 

Players may use different teams in different tournaments, however any changes to a team may not be made for the duration of the tournament. 

Example teamsheet: https://pokepast.es/c9bf1f9564978883

Banlist and Clauses

The following Pokémon are banned from this World Championship Series:
- Articuno

- Zapdos

- Moltres

- Mewtwo

- Entei

- Raikou

- Suicune

- Lugia

- Rayquaza

- Arceus

- Shaymin

- Keldeo

If PokéMMO adds any more Legendary or Mythical Pokémon to the game during this World Championship Series, those Pokémon will be banned too.

The following Clauses are also in effect for the series:

- Unique Species Clause - Players may not use more than one Pokémon of the same species (for example, you may not have 2 Chanseys on the same team, however having both Chansey and Blissey is permitted).

- Item Clause - No two Pokémon may hold the same item (for example, if you had a Scizor and a Garchomp, they can't both hold a Life Orb).

Clauses Not in effect (that may be popular): 

- Sleep Clause

- Evasion Clause

- OHKO Clause

When Setting up Battles

- Make sure to change Battle type to "Doubles"

- Check the "Advanced Options" Box

- Ensure "Team Preview" and "Turn TImers" boxes are both checked, and that "Private Battle" is left unchecked.

- Click the button next to "Active Clauses" and ensure "Unique Species" and "Unique Item" are both checked, while leaving everything else is unchecked. 

- Double check that everything is correct, and press "Send Request".

image.png.f1f7c67847201f029d1d7ed13098b28f.png

The Rewards

For Regional Championships - Top cut players will be awarded Worlds Points (WP) based on how well they did in top cut. This will be based on a combination of their Match Record (How many matches they won/lost throughout the tournament) and their resistance (how well their opponents did in the tournament). These are as follows:

- 8th Place - 50 WP

- 7th Place - 75 WP

- 6th Place - 100 WP

- 5th Place - 125 WP

- 4th Place - 150 WP

- 3rd Place - 200 WP

- 2nd Place - 250 WP

- 1st Place - Worlds Invite

Players must collect 300 WP to earn themselves a place in Worlds. This is subject to change in future World Championship Series, however based on the current scale of the tournaments, this is what we're going with to give as many players spots in the World Championships as possible,

For the World Championships - The Top 3 players will receive Reward Points (RP) in the form of RP vouchers, which they can do what they please with. These will be awarded as follows:

3rd Place - 500RP

2nd Place - 1000RP

1st Place - 2000RP

These prizes are subject to change in future World Series events, however at the current scale of the championships, this is what we are going with.

In order to allow players opportunities to gather championship points, Players may sign up for as many regional events as they wish. However, if a player qualifies for worlds, they may not compete in any further regional championships in order to allow other players a chance to qualify.

The Signup

Signing up for the PokéMMO World Championship series is as simple as filling out This Form! I hope to see you at some of the events!

19 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

Just curious - why are legendaries banned from this event?

It's to pay more tribute to the official Pokémon World Championships.

Generally, the first regulation bans legendaries, however the second regulation legalises them in a restricted manner (allowing 1 or 2 legendaries per team), and I plan on doing a similar thing with this event. When I decide to do a second one of these, I will more than likely legalise the legendaries in a restricted manner. Plus, with the VGC ruleset, evasion clause is not a thing, and I don't think a single person wants to deal with Snow Cloak Articuno right now, especially after it won the Utrecht Special Event a few weeks ago in gen 9 VGC. 

2 minutes ago, ZephyrBreezy said:

It's to pay more tribute to the official Pokémon World Championships.

Generally, the first regulation bans legendaries, however the second regulation legalises them in a restricted manner (allowing 1 or 2 legendaries per team), and I plan on doing a similar thing with this event. When I decide to do a second one of these, I will more than likely legalise the legendaries in a restricted manner. Plus, with the VGC ruleset, evasion clause is not a thing, and I don't think a single person wants to deal with Snow Cloak Articuno right now, especially after it won the Utrecht Special Event a few weeks ago in gen 9 VGC. 

There's a difference between restricted legendaries (the really powerful ones like Kyogre, Mewtwo, Lugia, Palkia, Reshiram, etc) and your average legendaries like Articuno-Zapdos-Moltres or Entei-Raikou-Suicune. In regards to VGC, they have never been treated the same way just for being legendaries. VGC usually calls the restricted legendaries "Special Pokemon", you can see which Pokemon count as such from here https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Special_Pokémon

Also VGC has (almost always) banned mythical Pokemon but that's arguably more due to accessibility than "balance". Point is that these three categories (legendaries/restricteds/mythicals) have been always treated separately and there has never been restrictions on the less powerful legendaries (unless it is due to Pokedex-restrictions).

I think Scarlet & Violet was the first game to begin with no legendaries as it had banned Chi-Yu/Chien-Pao/Wo-Chien/Ting-Lu from Series 1 but you could argue their power level was so significantly higher than the non-Paradox Pokemon that it was justified. But historically looking at VGC, something like legendary birds or legendary dogs have been never banned. (Only maybe Pokedex-restricted as part of a new update but not due to their power)

Also calling Articuno broken in MMO environment just isn't right. Articuno is absolutely awful in PokeMMO environment. The metagame is against it, it doesn't have Terastalization option. There's literally nothing to be worried about it. Zapdos is the only legendary in Top 20 most used Doubles Pokemon and even Zapdos is far away from being broken.

I think the only one to be canonically banned from VGC would be Shaymin as it is a Mythical Pokemon. But even for that, Mythical Pokemon have been generally banned due to being unaccessible outside of distributions events rather than being overpowered (as regular Shaymin is mid af).

48 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

There's a difference between restricted legendaries (the really powerful ones like Kyogre, Mewtwo, Lugia, Palkia, Reshiram, etc) and your average legendaries like Articuno-Zapdos-Moltres or Entei-Raikou-Suicune. In regards to VGC, they have never been treated the same way just for being legendaries. VGC usually calls the restricted legendaries "Special Pokemon", you can see which Pokemon count as such from here https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Special_Pokémon

Also VGC has (almost always) banned mythical Pokemon but that's arguably more due to accessibility than "balance". Point is that these three categories (legendaries/restricteds/mythicals) have been always treated separately and there has never been restrictions on the less powerful legendaries (unless it is due to Pokedex-restrictions).

I think Scarlet & Violet was the first game to begin with no legendaries as it had banned Chi-Yu/Chien-Pao/Wo-Chien/Ting-Lu from Series 1 but you could argue their power level was so significantly higher than the non-Paradox Pokemon that it was justified. But historically looking at VGC, something like legendary birds or legendary dogs have been never banned. (Only maybe Pokedex-restricted as part of a new update but not due to their power)

Also calling Articuno broken in MMO environment just isn't right. Articuno is absolutely awful in PokeMMO environment. The metagame is against it, it doesn't have Terastalization option. There's literally nothing to be worried about it. Zapdos is the only legendary in Top 20 most used Doubles Pokemon and even Zapdos is far away from being broken.

I think the only one to be canonically banned from VGC would be Shaymin as it is a Mythical Pokemon. But even for that, Mythical Pokemon have been generally banned due to being unaccessible outside of distributions events rather than being overpowered (as regular Shaymin is mid af).

id agree on articuno ban, because the daryl's set won a regional ez

55 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

While it’s true that typical legendaries aren’t treated as restricteds I have 2 other reasons for their ban this season. 

the first is that even unrestricted legendary Pokémon are typically banned at first (for example, the treasures of ruin being banned from SV VGC regulation A). It pays tribute to that fact in a way. 

the second is that in PokeMMO, we simply don’t have any restricted legendaries available for competitive use. Sure, we have Mewtwo, Lugia and Rayquaza in the game, but with the style of how they’re obtained and held by players they simply aren’t built for a genuine competitive tournament. Since the legendaries that can be permanently owned in game are typically stronger than your run of the mill Pokémon, I’ve decided to restrict those instead once they become legal. 

If restricted legendaries become available to permanently own in game at any point, they will be legalised in the next season of the world championship with the restriction on normal legendaries, with those legends having their restrictions removed to become essentially the same format as gen 5 VGC. As for mythicals such as Shaymin - they will never be legal as long as they’re as difficult to obtain as shaymin is currently. However, I may host a smaller, no stakes side event at some point where there is no banlist so people can use any Pokémon. 

1 hour ago, ZephyrBreezy said:

the first is that even unrestricted legendary Pokémon are typically banned at first (for example, the treasures of ruin being banned from SV VGC regulation A). It pays tribute to that fact in a way.

It pays tribute to Scarlet and Violet I guess but I don't think it pays tribute to VGC historically.

If we look at the VGC ruleset for each game besides Scarlet & Violet in their release:

Spoiler

Sword and Shield (VGC2020) - The only legendaries in the original dex were the restricted legendaries Zacian and Zamazenta, so low tier legendaries didn't even exist
Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon (VGC2018) - Normal legendaries allowed (restricted legendaries banned)

Sun / Moon (VGC2017) - Tapus and Ultra Beasts allowed (there's debate if UBs are legendaries but Tapus definitely are legendaries)

OmegaRuby / AlphaSapphire (VGC2016) - Dual-restricted legendary format

X & Y (VGC2014) - Normal legendaries allowed (as long as they are within set Pokedex numbers)

Black 2 & White 2 (VGC2013) - Normal legendaries allowed (restricted legendaries banned)

Black & White (VGC2011) - Normal legendaries allowed (restricted legendaries banned)

HeartGold & SoulSilver (VGC2010) - Restricted legendaries allowed

So if we look historically, VGC has been very allowing for legendaries throughout its history. If anything, VGC has been known as the format where power levels are high and people who don't like it can "go play Smogon". In the end, it's your tournament so you're free to enforce the kind of rules you want but I just thought it was odd that your ruleset followed VGC ruleset exactly but not in this specific regard.

Lastly, I will say that I think the lack of Suicune will actually be harmful to the metagame. Swords Dance Garchomp is one of the strongest Pokemon in the game and Suicune being a bulky water-type with Icy Wind is one of the ways to keep it in check. Suicune itself is sitting on a measely 3-4% usage, being anything but overpowered. So I think restricting players from using these not-too-powerful legendary Pokemon will actually allow the strong MMO threats to become even stronger or at least have much fewer options for counterplay.

3 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

Lastly, I will say that I think the lack of Suicune will actually be harmful to the metagame. Swords Dance Garchomp is one of the strongest Pokemon in the game and Suicune being a bulky water-type with Icy Wind is one of the ways to keep it in check. Suicune itself is sitting on a measely 3-4% usage, being anything but overpowered. So I think restricting players from using these not-too-powerful legendary Pokemon will actually allow the strong MMO threats to become even stronger or at least have much fewer options for counterplay.

That's a fair assumption to take. That said - issues like strong pokémon having so few counters is what helps some lesser used Pokémon shine. For example, in gen 9 VGC, people have been finding ways to slow down Incineroar with Pokémon like mirror armour Corviknight. It is also in a way reminiscent of the typical view of VGC using the same few Pokémon over and over again. Unintentional, but a coincidence none the less. 

As I said, the legendaries will be legal in coming seasons, however for the time being they will remain banned in order to allow the metagame room to evolve as new Pokémon are legalised.

2 hours ago, ZephyrBreezy said:

That's a fair assumption to take. That said - issues like strong pokémon having so few counters is what helps some lesser used Pokémon shine. For example, in gen 9 VGC, people have been finding ways to slow down Incineroar with Pokémon like mirror armour Corviknight. It is also in a way reminiscent of the typical view of VGC using the same few Pokémon over and over again. Unintentional, but a coincidence none the less. 

As I said, the legendaries will be legal in coming seasons, however for the time being they will remain banned in order to allow the metagame room to evolve as new Pokémon are legalised.

In what world is Corviknight actually used as an Incin answer outside of the 0-4 tables?

Your argument about letting lesser used Pokemon shine also doesn't hold up that much. Half of the regularly available legendaries aren't used themselves. You're talking about Pokemon with few counters, but pretty much all of them have reasonable answers in the meta right now.

If you want to ban the legendaries because you feel like it, just say so. You don't need any special justification. If you're actually trying to mimic VGC/an early generation format, might as well just fully commit and only allow Pokemon from one regional dex and have that as the format, you'll accomplish your authentic VGC feel while also having your lesser used Pokemon shine moment.

10 hours ago, JeanMarc said:

In what world is Corviknight actually used as an Incin answer outside of the 0-4 tables?

Your argument about letting lesser used Pokemon shine also doesn't hold up that much. Half of the regularly available legendaries aren't used themselves. You're talking about Pokemon with few counters, but pretty much all of them have reasonable answers in the meta right now.

If you want to ban the legendaries because you feel like it, just say so. You don't need any special justification. If you're actually trying to mimic VGC/an early generation format, might as well just fully commit and only allow Pokemon from one regional dex and have that as the format, you'll accomplish your authentic VGC feel while also having your lesser used Pokemon shine moment.

Well, maybe not as an Incin answer, but it's a niche strategy that gets around stuff like intimidate.

I wanted to ban the legendaries mostly to see how the meta would shape up without them vs with them. It does in a way mimic the VGC bans tend to be too - instead of banning based on power level, they tend to send the entire category to the BL. For example, back in gen 8's format without restricteds, despite not being nearly as broken as Zacien, Zamazenta was also considered retricted due to its status as a restricted legendary. 

And who knows - if enough people want the legendaries unbanned after the first few events in this series, I might do what TPC did with last year's worlds series - opening the floodgates for more Pokémon to be legal for the world championships

10 hours ago, JeanMarc said:

If you're actually trying to mimic VGC/an early generation format, might as well just fully commit and only allow Pokemon from one regional dex and have that as the format

In regards to this too, I did consider doing this but for reasons I admittedly can't remember I ditched the idea XD

It's a bit ironic if you think about it, since Mewtwo, Rayquaza among others are banned, but the funny thing is that it's not like they could be used anyway, at least in PokeMMO they are not playable at all, they are temporary, they are not permanent , Zekrom can only be played in the adventure and that's it.

4 hours ago, lILucyIl said:

It's a bit ironic if you think about it, since Mewtwo, Rayquaza among others are banned, but the funny thing is that it's not like they could be used anyway, at least in PokeMMO they are not playable at all, they are temporary, they are not permanent , Zekrom can only be played in the adventure and that's it.

They’re banned because they’re legendaries, but I think I’ll allow them when I legalise the legendaries because quite frankly if someone can get one and bring it to the tournament without someone else taking it from them, they deserve to be allowed to use it lol

• 2 weeks later...