[Mechanics Discussion] Bullet Seed + Icicle Spear

Since about any other move is updated to the later generations, it is about time to discuss Bullet Seed and Icicle Spear.

List of pokemon that learn the move:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Bullet_Seed_(move)#Learnset

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Icicle_Spear_(move)#Learnset

Odds of hitting...

2 times - 1/3

3 times - 1/3

4 times - 1/6

5 times - 1/6

Average power = 79,2

Basically, power becomes 25 from 10. When asking one of the developers why the power has not been updated, the answer I received was pretty much "because Senile does not want to". With the absence of abilities such as Skill Link or Technician, these moves are nowhere near overpowered and I would like to see them in game, as it would make a lot more pokemon more viable, especially the grass move which would provide many grass types with a good physical STAB move.

Perhaps it is time the competitive community discussed this.

Edited by OldKeith

i'd rather get the absent aiblities & moves

I'm sure we all would, but that does not bring very much to the discussion.

----------------------------------

And to be fair to Senile, the quote is not accurate, and he had presented some good arguments against updating multi hit moves to abide by the mechanics of later generations.

I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say.

+1 because afaik there is NO physical grass or ice moves. Every other type has at least one physical move with 60+ power (except bug?)
(Shadow punch, thief, epunches)

I think razor leaf is physical with base 55, close enough.

But yeah support, could make some creative sets

also

PHYSICAL CLOYSTER

Edited by TheGloriousWalrus

Hmm its an interesting idea. Does anyone have a list of pokes who would actually benifit from this? 

Also one meta game benefit i can see from this is if this would make it to where there are more pokemon with multi hit moves running around then sub wont be as safe of a move anymore. Especially if icecicle spear becomes popular bc most of the pokes i can think of that abuse sub are resistant to bullet seed.

Does anyone have a list of pokes who would actually benifit from this?

Heracross

Octillery

Breloom

Sect (should we discuss ubers?)

Ludicolo

Swalot

Cradily

Cacturne

Probably only those for now. Rest of those pokes that learn bullet seed can actually use Leaf Blade which is overall much better.

Also, Breloom really needs Technician to abuse Bullet Seed to it's fullest. For now it'd be just a desperate move to increase the viability of some pokes that are otherwise much less viable.

Forgot to like the OP as I agree with that, sorry Keith, correcting that mistake now

Heracross doesn't really benefit from it. It hits Swampert harder but CB Megahorn shrecks it anyway. I guess Breloom gets some benefit from it. Also inb4 Curse Exeggutor new meta.

Breloom vs Vap, FP (225 power)
Bullet Seed 37,5 x 5 (188 power), bad

Edit: wops times 2 against Vap ofc so 376 lel. To match FP power you need 3 hits exact (225)

Icicle Spear Cloyster doe, can also run Rock bladt for Gyara

Edited by ThinkNice
  • 3 months later...

We already messed up the meta enough. Might as well go the whole 9 yards. I don't see a reason beyond "because I don't want to". Like this is not going to be negatively impactful. It's not like we are tampering with the delicate balance of a metagame, we're just adding in something else onto our pile of changes. Gen 4 mechanics without moves or abilities is wild to begin with.

We already messed up the meta enough. Might as well go the whole 9 yards. I don't see a reason beyond "because I don't want to". Like this is not going to be negatively impactful. It's not like we are tampering with the delicate balance of a metagame, we're just adding in something else onto our pile of changes. Gen 4 mechanics without moves or abilities is wild to begin with.

senile's main argument against the implementation of these moves (iirc) was that it would encourage a strategy based on RNG, over using a more sure fire move like giga drain. However, now that giga is special and bullet seed is one of the only viable physical grass moves, I dont think that argument holds much weight. Same goes for icicle spear, though ice punch is definitely more prevalant than physical grass moves.

What I'm saying is, I agree with you that there's no real reason NOT to implement these changes - if we're not getting gen4 moves anytime soon, these will at least help a little bit for those pokes who are stranded in 'no man's land' between gens

Edited by Gunthug
  • 3 weeks later...

im agree, leaf blade is the only grass physical move, and a big part of grass type pokes doesnt has acces to it. it could be a great adition to some pokes like parasect, piloswine, corsola, octillery, etc. other pokes like breloom and cacturne would be at least beneficiated; the ability to break substitutes is always a great thing.