UU Viability Thread

yes if this was a simluator, but idk here cause large amount of bp needed to make a pika, plus the whole complicated breeding method to get volt tackle that messes up current method making it necessary to have 2x god pikas to sacrifice to get one with volt tackle. 

and
0 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Exeggcute: 114-136 (68.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 68-82 (37.3 - 45%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO after 3 layers of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

mixed pika has a chance if hp ice/fly/fire and if some previous damage, or spikes + high dmg roll for vile, and exeggutor cant stop mixed. also 

252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 102-120 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 132-156 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 218-260 (107.9 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon: 123-145 (60.8 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

not much that isnt immune/bulky grass can tank the hit.
trike is a danger, but espeed

252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu ExtremeSpeed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manectric: 88-104 (60.6 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
quag is danger if no hp grass, gligar/queen/donphan(max def) if no ice or surf, tangela/exe/vile if no hp ice/fly/fire, but nothing can counter every move of pikas. 

it's the gengar of uu that no one uses cause >bp + breeding system + nyi volt tackle

0 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 88-104 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

You're welcome xD

Even when Volt Tackle gets implemented, Lanturn will remain a hard counter to Pikachu. HP grass doesn't do much and no HP ice means free space for Plume and Exeggutor.

Edit: Pikachu's strength comes from its movepool and Lanturn is an easy scouting option.

Edited by lamerb

Here is the Summer Ball Qualifier #5 if anyone needs to refer to it. I not only make tournament videos for entertainment, but I also make them so competitive people can use my tournament video as a source to make the tier better.

Edited by Bestfriends
Updated URL

Here is the Summer Ball Qualifier #5 if anyone needs to refer to it. I not only make tournament videos for entertainment, but I also make them so competitive people can use my tournament video as a source to make the tier better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=9057&v=Jz8pM5oDmC8

Nice vid, watched most of it. I have no idea what you did in your absence from pokemmo, but your commentary got much better than he usual.

Nice vid, watched most of it. I have no idea what you did in your absence from pokemmo, but your commentary got much better than he usual.

Thanks, I tried to get on the ball as far as new is concerned. I have a newer approach to filming headlines, guides, shops, tournaments, and even interviews! I look forward to broadcasting an interview with some of these tactics! I am also glad to see you coming back to PokeMMO!

This will be the first time that UU has really had a quality Will-o-Wisp user (Dusclops) and it will be interesting to see how the tier adapts with our limited number of GUTS users. It will also be interesting to see whether Rhydon can find a place, or if it will simply be just too stronk and require a ban to BL. 

Off the top of my head, Claydol, Dusclops, Blastoise, Cradily, and Hitmontop are all pretty decent checks for standard Rhydon sets. Outside of that, Rhydon is easily revenge killed so long as it's not sitting behind a substitute. This means that things like Swellow (w/o Steel Wing) and CB-locked normal spam become set-up bait for the SD version. Could this be the return of Donphan?

252 Atk Choice Band Guts Swellow Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rhydon: 87-102 (41 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If only that did just a tad bit more.

Due to the recent changes in the tiers based on usage:

• Porygon2 and Umbreon have been removed from the list; they're now OU.
  • Rhydon and Dusclops have been added to the list; they're now UU.

It's time now to discuss where you think our new additions will go, and how they will effect the tier. We'll get a more clear picture of what's going on in the near future after some officials so I will wait until then to solidify rankings.

Am I also curious. What are your opinions on Alakazam with Chansey, Porygon2 and Umbreon not in UU anymore?

Rhydon - Instant A+, we just don't have the defensive power to stop a +2 Rhydon behind a sub without sacrificing one or two pokes on our team. Looking to Claydol to rise up in usage in order to combat the common SubDanceQuakeSlide set. CB Megahorn might catch a few players by surprise with quality predictions, but honestly, CB EQ is always trouble. 

Dusclops - A, it's going to be one of our featured defensive walls that can double on the special side as well. I see very few things that can handle Dusclops w/ WoW so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. We lack quality GUTS users in UU, since Raticate gets pooped on by Rhydon (Oh hello Iron Tail) and Swellow can't touch Dusclops much even after a burn. 

Zam at +1 kills Rhydon and can really put the beat down on Dusclops if it has some damage. Zam is an interesting one that should see a bump in usage considering Rhydon hurts Swellow's viability so badly. Another reason though for Zam to get put on the UU ban list look-out. 

question, besides swellow what is rhydon supposed to be setting up against?

this is not the gen 3 mechanics meta that rhydon was banned form year+ ago. we have physical water/grass/ice now and lots of event/tutor moves like low kick/super power/ice punch running around now.

sure once rhydon sets up it's scary as fuck, and cb rhydon can provide immediate pressure, but it no longer has such a large number of pokemon it can set up upon, and cb set has to take the prediction risk.

it might prove to be too strong, but it's definitely not a sure thing.

this is not the gen 3 mechanics meta that rhydon was banned form year+ ago. we have physical water/grass/ice now and lots of event/tutor moves like low kick/super power/ice punch running around now.

sure once rhydon sets up it's scary as fuck, and cb rhydon can provide immediate pressure, but it no longer has such a large number of pokemon it can set up upon, and cb set has to take the prediction risk.

Yea that's the view I see it from. Rhydon is strong as fuck and really has no reliabley counters that were common previously, but it really doesn't have much room to come in. Plume, Scizor and Slowking make up the most common core honestly and they give Rhydon no room. Even if it snuck in on a double switch, odds are its not safely going to plow.

Here's some top usage pokemon, and the vast majority of them carry moves which put significant dents in Rhydon. Some are even faster than Rhydon too.

e71426e343e6809cfcdf18b8b7182799.png

Rhydon might seem bad on paper with its opportunities to come in, but I still think it will be a huge force and I'm excited to see it in action at an official.

I'm banking on Rhydon being broken though. :P

Note: Yea I know the usage from Umby/P2 days, but shut up, those pokemon will still be common and you know it.

Edited by DrCraig

Rhydon Adamant CB with Earthquake - Megahorn - Crunch - Double Edge 2HKO every UU/NU except Impish Donphan, who else ?

You forgot a pretty important move

E: I agree with your premise though - but a defensive core can handle cb rhydon with some scouting. Gligar/steelix can pivot through that set Edited by Gunthug

Hmm, I get that Rhydon is a friggin beast and that it will most likely be banned, but in our current meta, what can it safely switch in vs? May be a wish clefable I suppose and Kanga if it isn't carrying EQ. 

I assume ppl might stop running Swellow, out of fear of letting Rhydon set up. 

Edited by NikhilR

Well now that porygon and umbreon were moved up, one of the only viable special walls left is kangaskhan, which can't do a whole lot vs rhydon, with its typical normal/fire/possibly dark coverage. Hypno doesn't really fare too well vs rhydon either.

edit:

rhydon pretty much gets all viable physical moves. megahorn double edge earthquake rock slide superpower ice punch fire punch thunderpunch 

And rhydon does get crunch, at least it should since its a gen 6 egg move for it, but I don't know why you'd run crunch since rock slide hits ghosts plenty hard and megahorn ohkos psychic types

Edited by BurntZebra

252+ Atk Choice Band Rhydon Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Breloom: 94-111 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Edit : nvm for crunch

Choice band scouted, no casualties: mission accomplished XD

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.