UU Viability Thread

Also would probably say hitmonlee is no longer an A+ pokemon because of slowking/defensive vileplume/protect chansey being on many teams. Also not really convinced fearow/gligar/jynx should be A either. Gligar is outclassed by claydol for the most part imo, or slowking in terms of walling fighting types. Fearow is outclassed by swellow, its only advantage being a stronger flying move and slightly more bulk. Jynx is too paper to use in UU realistically. Scizor is very common on teams, slowking walls its stabs and a possible hp fire for scizor, chansey can wall it, umbreon pursuit traps, houndoom pursuit traps and resists stabs, and it can be revenge killed by any faster physical attacker or any slower physical attacker with somewhat decent priority, eg mach punch hitmonlee. 

Alakazam (A+) Move it down to A. It's a high powered monster, but being frail, susceptible to Pursuit and Priority, and also being walled to no end by Chansey and Umbreon, I just don't see this pokemon currently being an A+. It's sweeping potential late-game if Chansey and priority users are removed is still glorious. 

Hitmonlee (A+) Move it down to A. Zebra hit it on the head. It once was the best CB user in the game, but players have quickly found out how to stop this beast from having any significant sweeping potential. It's viability is dropping with each tournament.

Fearow (A) Move it down to B+. It's a great CB user, but its usage doesn't warrant that A rank right now. 

Gligar (A) Move it down to B+. Like with Fearow, its usage just doesn't warrant an A rank. 

Jynx (A) Move it down to B. With little to no use in UU, Jynx should probably be sitting at a B rank. It's walled quite well by Slowking and has difficulty setting up and sweeping with its actually mediocre speed and frail defenses. 

Breloom (B+) Move it down to C. Breloom is a powerful poke with a nifty move in Spore, but unfortunately it is outright walled by the most common of pokes and is susceptible to common attacks. It has a very difficult time being viable in our current UU tier. 

Crawdaunt (B+) Move up to A. Crawdaunt, along with Swellow, are our two primary CB users right now. With a moveset to hit anything in the game and the ability to 2HKO almost all of our top tier walls, Crawdaunt is a top notch threat. Its speed and surprising bulk are perfect to break down the walls we currently rely on. 

Aggron ( B) Move it down to C. Aggron is getting little to no use in UU due to its weaknesses, poor speed, and reliance on STABS that are easily resisted and have sub-perfect accuracy. 

Primeape ( B) Move it down to C. Its speed and power just don't equate to a viable option in UU right now. 

Quagsire ( B) Move it up to B+. Quagsire is seeing more and more use with each tournament offering a unique defensive role while still being a powerful threat offensively. It is sadly pooped on by Vileplume, but being one of its only switch ins means Quagsire can lure Vileplume into a bad situation.

Tentacruel ( B) Move it up to A. Tentacruel is gaining in popularity and has been seen on multiple winning teams. Being a top tier spinner and having multiple other options going for it, Tentacruel is a dangerous threat both offensively and defensively. 

These are a few things B and above that I felt need to be changed. 

EDIT: Those emoticons struck again. 

Edited by DoubleJ

Status is a huge pain, especially paralysis just because it slows down everything and 25% to not do anything, which can really hurt vs pokemon with substitute like breloom *COUGH COUGH TODAY COUGH*. Only natural cure pokemon left is altaria and doesn't really have much offense to go along with its decent typing/ability. 

You thinking slowking might need to be removed? With Slowking goes scizor as you probs know.

I mean slowking was kind of brought down partially because it was assumed that chansey was on like 75% of stall teams or offensive teams can handle slowking enough regardless without chansey. Basically requires someone to run umbreon with toxic now to handle slowking if you're not running hyper offense with 2 things that can handle slowking. 

I actually lost because the horrible parahax but wouldn't have problem with it if I wouldn't have lost my Vileplume with the porygon thinking it didn't have ice beam like u jj thought it didn't have thunderbolt, those were nice plays but the hax he had it is something u can't see everytime, I mean my slowking survived a +4 superpower like nothing but 10 turns of parahax, 3 beign in a row it is something awful xD also I take the aroma out of my clefa right before that match e.e but anyways I don't think status is a problem right now

I do read this thread, don't worry folks. Let's tune this bad boy.

Test bans

• Chansey is currently being test banned. As a result I have put a strike through its name on the rankings list. It will be returned to normal or Chansey will be completely removed depending on the result of the test ban and analysis.

Rank changes

• Hitmonlee moved from A+ to A
  • Fearow moved from A to B+
  • Crawdaunt moved from B+ to A
  • Gligar moved from A to B+
  • Tentacruel from B to A
  • Jynx from A to B+
  • Quagsire from B to B+
  • Sableye from D to C  :ph34r:

Anything you do or do not agree with should be voiced in this thread in a constructive manner to help me improve the rankings. :)

[hr]

I also would like address the possibilities of Scizor(A+) being moved up, Houndoom(A) being moved down, Blastoise(B+) being moved down,  and Ninetales(B ) being moved down.

Current Hot Topics

• Scizor
  • Houndoom
  • Blastoise
  • Ninetales
Edited by DrCraig

How did today's qualifier play out in regards to team building? Wasn't able to watch but am curious if anything rose up like Charizard or Zam.

Nothing rose up that I'm aware of, ofc I couldn't spectate much because I was busy fighting but the teams were used against me were really different from each other and mine too, I didn't use the same team twice other than vileplume and clefable so imo it was more diverse and nothing was like really used, at least not special attackers

EDIT: I would wait for usage though

Edited by Arimanius

CM Slowking usage seems to be dropping in favor of twave to catch dem crawdaunts. Lf a fix to lightning rod.

we really do need that lightningrod fixed, not sure if that was in the OP of the update

ninetales should probably be C, setup bait for slowking, plenty of sdef walls to take it on and just doesnt hit very hard

Is there anything reliable that can counter alakazam beside maybe the houndoom/scizor core? Can you guys think of anything else?

Umbreon is really not that great against zam.

Alakazam seems like a S rank to me. (and should probably be considered as a potential ban?)

Is there anything reliable that can counter alakazam beside maybe the houndoom/scizor core? Can you guys think of anything else?

Umbreon is really not that great against zam.

Alakazam seems like a S rank to me. (and should probably be considered as a potential ban?)

Steelix, Careful Kangaskhan, Sassy Porygon2, Umbreon seem to work well as well.

CB Swellow almost always guarantees a revengekill.

Steelix, Careful Kangaskhan, Sassy Porygon2, Umbreon seem to work well as well.

CB Swellow almost always guarantees a revengekill.

i really need a sassy porygon2 XD

Edit: Hp fire could deal with steelix i think.

+1 252 SpA Alakazam Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 116-138 (63.7 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Steelix Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 100-118 (76.3 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Edited by lamerb

What are people's thoughts on Slowking? I think it's too good with access to CM because the only way to slow it down is by using toxic on it. The only way to beat Slowking is by having crawdaunt/sharpedo or may be absol. My main concern is with how Slowking can easily set up on half of the tier with ease, so taking it down means using 2 simultaneous choicebanders, if you're not running a dark type. With access to Slack Off and its typing, I'd say that it's one of the best calm minders atm along with may be zam except that the latter can get revenge killed quite easily. 

Ah on the other side of the spectrum, I'm getting fed up with Scizor. Everybody has figured out how to run Scizor the best now and I feel like it is just too powerful. Not running Slowking is pretty risky since Scizor is a fucking force, and even Scizor can take it down sometimes.

What are people's thoughts on Slowking? I think it's too good with access to CM because the only way to slow it down is by using toxic on it. The only way to beat Slowking is by having crawdaunt/sharpedo or may be absol. My main concern is with how Slowking can easily set up on half of the tier with ease, so taking it down means using 2 simultaneous choicebanders, if you're not running a dark type. With access to Slack Off and its typing, I'd say that it's one of the best calm minders atm along with may be zam except that the latter can get revenge killed quite easily. 

Toxic isn't a counter, but toxic definitely is a problem for this because it's everywhere. I think I need to sit on this for a while though, I haven't noticed it become too much, but it is definitely a nuisance. My biggest problem, which I still bitch about, is when the 6 BL pokemon were moved down, it basically caused everybody to run them and only them. The BLs which were moved down are too strong in their own right, but since there is a cluster of them, and they check each other, none have stood out. It's fairly easy for somebody to walk into UU, pick up 2+ of the BLs moved, and have a successful team. They're just all powerful.

would pika go up if it gets access to volt tickles

yes if this was a simluator, but idk here cause large amount of bp needed to make a pika, plus the whole complicated breeding method to get volt tackle that messes up current method making it necessary to have 2x god pikas to sacrifice to get one with volt tackle. 

and

0 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Exeggcute: 114-136 (68.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Light Ball Pikachu Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 68-82 (37.3 - 45%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO after 3 layers of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

mixed pika has a chance if hp ice/fly/fire and if some previous damage, or spikes + high dmg roll for vile, and exeggutor cant stop mixed. also 

252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 102-120 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 132-156 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 218-260 (107.9 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon: 123-145 (60.8 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

not much that isnt immune/bulky grass can tank the hit.
trike is a danger, but espeed
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu ExtremeSpeed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manectric: 88-104 (60.6 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
quag is danger if no hp grass, gligar/queen/donphan(max def) if no ice or surf, tangela/exe/vile if no hp ice/fly/fire, but nothing can counter every move of pikas. 

it's the gengar of uu that no one uses cause >bp + breeding system + nyi volt tackle

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.