[PSL 6] HYPE Thread

I voted no. I don't think we should pick a tier that is not really well known/played yet give it some time and maybe we get some diversity in LC players for comming seaons but right now I think given the amount of players that are able to play OU and main OU we shoud prioritize it imo. I'd rather you put LC instead of one of the Showdown tiers, it'S pokemmo after all.

Let me start with my argument for an LC tier: I have always been about creativity and promotion, just take a look back at "JJ's Bored at Work" threads. The LC tier is a fledgling tier, meaning it is just a li'l babbin (shout out to @Musica). If we were considering Sun/Moon, why not consider LC? There has been an increasing number of requests in the Event Suggestions thread and thus I believe there would be enough players to play week in and week out. It would also bring a level of excitement to PSL that would set it apart from prior seasons, and it might even show staff that we should actually have tournaments for this tier too. If we're worried about turnout, I will start hosting HYPE tournaments with 250k first place prizes starting next week to garner interest in the LC. 

Although, if there is enough opposition, I will simply scrap this idea and continue with boring old OU, stally ADV, or hax heavy VGC. Let's have a discussion. 

Edited by DoubleJ

No for LC. Basically everything has been said already But mostly I think we shouldn't really do LC since there hasn't been an official for it yet so people have literally 0 experience in it to the ones who got into it when the support got added. And tbh, I forgot we had LC support untill recently. 

3 OU and 1 NU or 2 OU and 2 NU, either are fine imo but 2/2/2 would seem more fair.

Edited by TheChampionMike
14 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Let me start with my argument for an LC tier: I have always been about creativity and promotion, just take a look back at "JJ's Bored at Work" threads. The LC tier is a fledgling tier, meaning it is just a li'l babbin (shout out to @Musica). If we were considering Sun/Moon, why not consider LC? There has been an increasing number of requests in the Event Suggestions thread and thus I believe there would be enough players to play week in and week out. It would also bring a level of excitement to PSL that would set it apart from prior seasons, and it might even show staff that we should actually have tournaments for this tier too. If we're worried about turnout, I will start hosting HYPE tournaments with 250k first place prizes starting next week to garner interest in the LC. 

Although, if there is enough opposition, I will simply scrap this idea and continue with boring old OU, stally ADV, or hax heavy VGC. Let's have a discussion. 

To me, the clear difference between LC and something like SuMo is that it will take approx 10 minutes to slap together a Sun Moon team on showdown, whereas it probably takes what, 5 days minimum to make an MMO LC team? Then take into account that tweaking a showdown team takes mere seconds, but tweaking your MMO Lc team takes a lot more time and money. Finally, testing your Lc team can prove problematic when we've got a player pool of about 20 (being generous). For sumo, multiply that by several hundred at the least.

im not saying Sun/moon should be a tier for PSL. But I think the comparison is a good example of why Lc isn't ready to be a PSL tier 

Shouldn't PSL be about the ability of the managers to evaluate the level of player with an amount of credits they are ready to put on them? Cause right now, nobody play LC and nobody has any clue about how this meta will developp and who are the good players in this tiers. For managers, buying a LC player will just be a gamble whereas making a competitive team with good synergies between players should be one of the quality of the winning manager and we should only keep luck for the battles.

I'm totally not against the idea of adding the LC tiers eventually to PSL. But this season is nearly starting and nobody can claim being able to evaluate the price of the LC players. Which is why it seems like adding LC is kinda removing a part of the competitive aspect of being a manager.

1 hour ago, Nobarsmcgee said:

Still think having 2 NU battles a week would make more sense than doing VGC, that aint a real tier, might as well add LC or sum, Are the tiers still going to be based off what sign ups we get JJ?

Yeah, an official nintendo tier isn't real, but a far-from-reality LC tier on a random MMO is.

Also, as to make this post somewhat valuable:

No for LC, you can see a few reasons above, maybe because the matches in itself aren't really that evolved to the ones that they should be paired up with. But then again, VGC is kinda similar, and yet not, mostly because creativity is non-existant at their meta, but resources for it are wide as wide can get.

ORAS Doubles > VGC heh

Edited by Spaintakula

While I am a big LC fan, and I accidently voted yes I meant no

Reason being

I am one of like 4 frequent LC players ive seen over the past 3 LC tournaments, in those 3 tournaments we have had so many tier related changes and move bans and damage roll glitches that it is largely unplayable. The tier really needs some staff love in officials before it becomes a thing in PSL imo, to put it simply there isnt enough people playing it on a regular basis that it becomes worth to pick it up for an unofficial.

OU x3

UU x2

NU x2

Doubles

ADV OU

DPP OU

imo

As much as you are getting VGC pressure from 3 players, it as a tier sucks. 16 has been literal aids and it will change to 17 mid season (like last year), its simply not a good tier.

19 minutes ago, Kizhaz said:

Why is ORAS not an option for this season, was it not enjoyed last season? I'm pretty sure it will be the norm even after SuMo's release since it takes such a long time for a completely new generation to set in motion

Change of events as said before.  DPP is going to be retained because it's probably our most competitive tier as pokemmo players on showdown. 

19 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Change of events as said before.  DPP is going to be retained because it's probably our most competitive tier as pokemmo players on showdown. 

Yeah but, even if Sun and moon does get released and has a stable metagame in a few months time, we can still revert back to playing oras for the complete PSL season, nothing changes in the old meta anyway?

2 minutes ago, Spaintakula said:

Yeah but, even if Sun and moon does get released and has a stable metagame in a few months time, we can still revert back to playing oras for the complete PSL season, nothing changes in the old meta anyway?

In regards to SuMo, just think about the time line. We're probably drafting at the end of this month. Season starting in October. SuMo won't be released until November, you think Showdown could pump out a variant even half way through our season? Nah. 

I'd love to, but SuMo Season 7.

3 minutes ago, Vorred said:

Voted no

PSL should be a place for the best to play against the best, not test out some gimmick tier that only Doc plays. If LC actually gets some real tournaments held and has a playerbase, fuck it why not but that's not gonna happen for like 2-3 PSL seasons at best.

Or until the mods start pumping out LC tournies like they are OU tournies

17 minutes ago, Vorred said:

Voted no

PSL should be a place for the best to play against the best, not test out some gimmick tier that only Doc plays. If LC actually gets some real tournaments held and has a playerbase, fuck it why not but that's not gonna happen for like 2-3 PSL seasons at best.

I just... i just... wanted fun...

40 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

In regards to SuMo, just think about the time line. We're probably drafting at the end of this month. Season starting in October. SuMo won't be released until November, you think Showdown could pump out a variant even half way through our season? Nah. 

I'd love to, but SuMo Season 7.

Oh, I don't think you understood me xD

I meant, we could have Oras for the whole season, the coming of sun and moon shouldn't affect anything in the current oras metagame, seeing how it's all separate, so even if sun and moon does come out halfway throughout the season, don't see how that'd hurt or stop us from having oras ou in this season aswell

16 minutes ago, Spaintakula said:

Oh, I don't think you understood me xD

I meant, we could have Oras for the whole season, the coming of sun and moon shouldn't affect anything in the current oras metagame, seeing how it's all separate, so even if sun and moon does come out halfway throughout the season, don't see how that'd hurt or stop us from having oras ou in this season aswell

Oh yea, sorry. Ultimately it comes down between DPP and ORAS for me, and I think we have more, and better, DPP players in PokeMMO. DPP could go bye bye though if there is an argument that it is just too similar to our OU here.

10 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Oh yea, sorry. Ultimately it comes down between DPP and ORAS for me, and I think we have more, and better, DPP players in PokeMMO. DPP could go bye bye though if there is an argument that it is just too similar to our OU here.

I think that's what makes DPP so desirable, and why the DPP competitive player pool is by far the biggest of the showdown tiers

12 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

the similarity is the whole point. i get to beat kids in a game with mechanics like this one except i don't need to do the shitty grind for comps.