Raikou encounter rate - Unpopular opinion

Enpure

I'm sorry but the mechanic is just terrible. Over the years we slowly moved from BikeMMO days of running up and down bike road to getting more quality of life features and removing meaningless and repetitive mechanics (to the extent that a Pokémon MMO allows, of course, there's always gonna be grind and there's nothing wrong with that).

I always understand changes directed to improve the MMO experience, like introducing several money sinks to prevent inflation from NPC reruns, to give an example. I also understand that a Pokémon game has a limited number of ways to offer new experiences, and appreciate how devs manage to twist them and tweak them to improve stuff like seasonal events every year, if only because they add new things to do in those or alternative ways of grinding said events like the Halloween minibosses, the Spiritomb gymkhana, etc.

But I'm not sure how someone can disagree about locking content behind low RNG odds being just plain bad game design. It doesn't reward skill whatsoever. It doesn't reward creativity, in the way that, I don't know, coming up with gym rerun teams or ways to farm certain stuff does. It's just running back and forth in the same patch of grass for hours without really doing anything else, because you can't if you want to maximize your odds, which at an average of 100-150 battles (not encounters, because it's the former what matters for the legendary beasts) per hour and knowing the odds are somewhere between 1/1001 and 1/8000 is absolutely underwhelming. Sure, I guess it's fair in the sense that "everyone" (not really true given how probability works because you can never see it theoretically if your luck that month reeks) can get it, but at what cost?

Sacrificing hours and hours of gameplay that could be spent doing something else not even knowing if it will pay off or when will it do so is not good for the game, period. You could argue shiny hunting is similar, but that's a cosmetic thing, and people who do it already know how hard it is and part of the thrill is precisely how rare shinies are. Being able to buy the legendaries from the GTL isn't an argument either, since not everyone takes this game as seriously and they should be able to get their legendaries without wasting hours doing nothing else or without having to grind for the money. And looking with contempt at other players' desires and personal preferences, like having their OT or finding it in a certain location is selfish and a sign of bad design, because it's alright if you don't care about those, but if it's important to them why shouldn't they be able to get it like that.

I get that devs wanted legendaries to feel rare, and I also can see how RNG-based encounters are an easy solution for that, but it's horrible for the game itself. I wouldn't mind a similar mechanic to that of Shaymin, and since this time we wouldn't have such a small, limited time window to accomplish it, it could become a sort of daily quest that people could do for a bit (or for hours if that's what they want) and then move on with their shiny hunts, PvP games or other stuff they enjoy about the game. "Forcing" people who want them to spend hours running back and forth in the same patch of grass is plain bad.

And finally, if only we could get Rainbow Quills before we caught our first legendaries, it would at least alleviate all of this, because it would give the senseless grinding a purpose other than basically single encountering a shiny with base game's original odds. But no, you gotta waste hours doing absolutely nothing but run back and forth and THEN you have to do the same in order to improve your beasts with a 5% drop chance out of a (previously, because it's been nerfed and the data backs this up unless we were all mistaken about it) 10% base pickup proc chance.

I understand how they had a lot on their plates to introduce Johto to us, and it shows in how delayed the release was compared to the original ETA, and I'm sure that with time and enough constructive feedback this can be changed for good, so that's what I hope for. But something being "all we got" and "at least we have it now" doesn't mean it's right or healthy for the gameplay. And coming from a long way of really good QoL and gameplay changes and decisions it feels terrible to drift towards BikeMMO again if only in this regard.

1 hour ago, Doctor said:

I'm sorry but the mechanic is just terrible. Over the years we slowly moved from BikeMMO days of running up and down bike road to getting more quality of life features and removing meaningless and repetitive mechanics (to the extent that a Pokémon MMO allows, of course, there's always gonna be grind and there's nothing wrong with that).

I always understand changes directed to improve the MMO experience, like introducing several money sinks to prevent inflation from NPC reruns, to give an example. I also understand that a Pokémon game has a limited number of ways to offer new experiences, and appreciate how devs manage to twist them and tweak them to improve stuff like seasonal events every year, if only because they add new things to do in those or alternative ways of grinding said events like the Halloween minibosses, the Spiritomb gymkhana, etc.

But I'm not sure how someone can disagree about locking content behind low RNG odds being just plain bad game design. It doesn't reward skill whatsoever. It doesn't reward creativity, in the way that, I don't know, coming up with gym rerun teams or ways to farm certain stuff does. It's just running back and forth in the same patch of grass for hours without really doing anything else, because you can't if you want to maximize your odds, which at an average of 100-150 battles (not encounters, because it's the former what matters for the legendary beasts) per hour and knowing the odds are somewhere between 1/1001 and 1/8000 is absolutely underwhelming. Sure, I guess it's fair in the sense that "everyone" (not really true given how probability works because you can never see it theoretically if your luck that month reeks) can get it, but at what cost?

Sacrificing hours and hours of gameplay that could be spent doing something else not even knowing if it will pay off or when will it do so is not good for the game, period. You could argue shiny hunting is similar, but that's a cosmetic thing, and people who do it already know how hard it is and part of the thrill is precisely how rare shinies are. Being able to buy the legendaries from the GTL isn't an argument either, since not everyone takes this game as seriously and they should be able to get their legendaries without wasting hours doing nothing else or without having to grind for the money. And looking with contempt at other players' desires and personal preferences, like having their OT or finding it in a certain location is selfish and a sign of bad design, because it's alright if you don't care about those, but if it's important to them why shouldn't they be able to get it like that.

I get that devs wanted legendaries to feel rare, and I also can see how RNG-based encounters are an easy solution for that, but it's horrible for the game itself. I wouldn't mind a similar mechanic to that of Shaymin, and since this time we wouldn't have such a small, limited time window to accomplish it, it could become a sort of daily quest that people could do for a bit (or for hours if that's what they want) and then move on with their shiny hunts, PvP games or other stuff they enjoy about the game. "Forcing" people who want them to spend hours running back and forth in the same patch of grass is plain bad.

And finally, if only we could get Rainbow Quills before we caught our first legendaries, it would at least alleviate all of this, because it would give the senseless grinding a purpose other than basically single encountering a shiny with base game's original odds. But no, you gotta waste hours doing absolutely nothing but run back and forth and THEN you have to do the same in order to improve your beasts with a 5% drop chance out of a (previously, because it's been nerfed and the data backs this up unless we were all mistaken about it) 10% base pickup proc chance.

I understand how they had a lot on their plates to introduce Johto to us, and it shows in how delayed the release was compared to the original ETA, and I'm sure that with time and enough constructive feedback this can be changed for good, so that's what I hope for. But something being "all we got" and "at least we have it now" doesn't mean it's right or healthy for the gameplay. And coming from a long way of really good QoL and gameplay changes and decisions it feels terrible to drift towards BikeMMO again if only in this regard.

TL;DR for the curious:

Spoiler

sheldon-bag.gif.6f422e7e8c31c34f87888eb8425c33b3.gif

Spoiler

It will be okay, no worries :-)

Don't forget this post where staff promised (for years) that legendaries were being intentionally delayed because they were 100% going to be released with dungeons:

We want it to be a surprise, showing you what we have would make it less exciting on release and also give away which legendary we have decided to build a dungeon around, which (at least at this stage) is not something we want to do.

• Are you making this all up?

No.
We're not crazy enough to tell our players that we started working on something just to keep them on the hook.
We don't stand to gain anything in that scenario except distrust in the long-term.

Feeling a bit distrusting right now

On 9/23/2023 at 8:36 PM, Xratello said:

Icic...but there is only complain's now. Tbh idgaf if the Hunt Takes me 10 or 100h. In the end i decide,do i Like the endreward that mutch? Do i do it myself or do i drop a Milli in gtl...

Im a grinder^^ 

Main Account took me EZ 20h

2nd ACC was a 2h adventure

So If you sonwflake that mutch about an ,,EZ" hunt and you are okay with the mutch more ,,hard" hussle for shaymin...please drop ideas at least...what can they Change? Do you want a Tablet hunt again or what(shaymin)? Or raid Kinda Things^^ explain your thoughts...

I give you guys the Point that the way of it now might look loveless and we all want the same.. the best game possible and nice Pokemon

anything would be better then this.

A boss battle with other features.

6 hours ago, awkways said:

Don't forget this post where staff promised (for years) that legendaries were being intentionally delayed because they were 100% going to be released with dungeons:

I can completely empathize with your concerns and the frustration that is shared by many old players regarding the delayed dungeons – it's truly disappointing. It appears that there may be some significant challenges holding back the release of dungeons for this extended period. Nevertheless, it's reassuring to see that we continue to receive meaningful updates each year.

Regarding the method of catching the legendary trio, I believe it could benefit from some adjustments since some players are looking for a faster process. I've come across a suggestion from Sug. Box that I think is worth considering, which involves providing special lures to increase the odds of attracting these legendaries in the wild. One potential idea could be to distribute these lures as rewards in the Ho-oh rematches in Johto.

1 hour ago, MightyMichele said:

I can completely empathize with your concerns and the frustration that is shared by many old players regarding the delayed dungeons – it's truly disappointing. It appears that there may be some significant challenges holding back the release of dungeons for this extended period. Nevertheless, it's reassuring to see that we continue to receive meaningful updates each year.

Regarding the method of catching the legendary trio, I believe it could benefit from some adjustments since some players are looking for a faster process. I've come across a suggestion from Sug. Box that I think is worth considering, which involves providing special lures to increase the odds of attracting these legendaries in the wild. One potential idea could be to distribute these lures as rewards in the Ho-oh rematches in Johto.

Pls michelle you try to hard to be part of staff, while contributing little to a post. Regarding suggestions there were a lot better than hurr durr just improve odds with lures, the problem will still be there.

8 hours ago, awkways said:

We've been promised since a long time ago, I believe since 2014 (reconfirmed by Darkshade on Unova introduction and iirc he even showed them working on specific tiles for the dungeons), like ok maybe they are a small team, maybe one of the devs is very paranoid about pokemon I.P. being placed on their brand (kek) etc, but going dark for so long and presenting us this?

23 minutes ago, razimove said:

Pls michelle you try to hard to be part of staff, while contributing little to a post. 

Hey! That wasn't my intention at all. In my earlier message, I simply wanted to express my support and empathy for players who have been eagerly waiting for the dungeons. o/

If you have better suggestions or insights to share, I'm all ears, and I encourage constructive discussions to help the community. Also, thank you for your response. 😊

Hard Take...it's cool how it is until they Change it. It will be more difficult and then we have an other conversation xDDD

No for real,i did not enjoy the Tablet Grind for shaymin.. and i cant relate to pvp'ers complain^^

We all the Same,doesnt Matter If you pve,PvP or Vermillion refugee right?

I rather suffer for almost a month and get my EZ doggo 😅

Dungeons would definitely have been a better addition, no doubt. However;

Player: where legendary

Dev: we want to find a way to make them special

Player: 😭 where legendary

Dev: <dungeons idea>

Player: 😭😭 where legendary

Dev: still trying to find a meaningful way to implement

Player: 😭😭😭 where legendary

Dev: Ok here legendary

Player: 😭😭😭😭 legendary too hard to get, i dont want to grind

Dev: ...

Spoiler

I wish you all a nice day, and may legendary rng be with you all

I bet in the time some people here wrote a literal essay they could have catched it twice already.

Just buy it off from the gtl for pvp, jeezus. And if its for the OT, there is endless chances in the upcoming years anyways. Doesnt matter if your Raikou is dusting on your pc this or next month

Edited by Johnwaynee
1 hour ago, Seth said:

Dungeons would definitely have been a better addition, no doubt. However;

Player: where legendary

Dev: we want to find a way to make them special

Player: 😭 where legendary

Dev: <dungeons idea>

Player: 😭😭 where legendary

Dev: still trying to find a meaningful way to implement

Player: 😭😭😭 where legendary

Dev: Ok here legendary

Player: 😭😭😭😭 legendary too hard to get, i dont want to grind

Dev: ...

Reveal hidden contents

I wish you all a nice day, and may legendary rng be with you all

Making fun of crybabyMMO is always a pleasure but making 10 posts in the same thread to infantilize what is a valid and honest opinion is a bit too much my dear sethy

Just now, Poufilou said:

Making fun of crybabyMMO is always a pleasure but making 10 posts in the same thread to infantilize what is a valid and honest opinion is a bit too much my dear sethy

I am sorry that I don't agree with you, but plz lemme have my moment of fun, poufi, it's rare these days

I had no idea the threshold was >10 posts - I promise I had kept it to 9 if I knew 😞 

On one hand, I love the idea that Legendaries have always been the "only one" in the game, and you need to continue to prove your worth to keep them. That feels more accurate and realistic to how it would actually be if Pokemon existed.

On the other hand, if we're going to step away from that and give players access to keep legendaries permanently, I think having the encounter rate be extraordinarily small would also feel more accurate and realistic because, let's be honest, they're Legendary Pokemon. It wouldn't make sense if they just threw themselves at everyone. Part of the excitement about having a legendary should be the fact that you found it in the first place.