[Discussion] Dragonite [Banned from OU to Ubers]

and dnite does based off perfect prediction and acts as a hit an run poke.

Should I go get the guy that thinks sloking should be banned also?

Because that's all I'm seeing that dnite can hit you hard once on a solid team then is forced to switch slaking acts similiar.

But we know it's bad but your arguments for it are similiar. From what I see.

Dnite doesn't have truant, or a stab that ghosts are immune to. It also has the strongest priority move in the game.

Again. How does does protect not get mentioned at all. It acts similiar in stopping slaking. And can stop the cb set cold.

Because against slaking, a poke can use protect every other move to avoid all damage whatsoever, or get a completely free switch. Against dnite you've basically gotta switch into something that can absorb the move it used, which may mean (especially in the case of dclaw) that something's still getting hurt on the switch in

Because against slaking, a poke can use protect every other move to avoid all damage whatsoever, or get a completely free switch. Against dnite you've basically gotta switch into something that can absorb the move it used, which may mean (especially in the case of dclaw) that something's still getting hurt on the switch in

That's all assuming the poke dnite comes in on doesn't have protect and chooses to find out like skar Fore for example?

I think there comes a time where you all have to agree to disagree and this is definitely one of those times. This has been going on for pages now and it just keeps going around in circles, I can see why some people are getting frustrated when someone cant see it from your point of view. The OU council will post their decision soon.

I think you're reaching a bit with the agree to disagree language - I make it a point to only "agree to disagree" with people when I can see where they're coming from, and their argument rests on at least somewhat valid principles. But hey, I guess you're required to be overly PC because you're a staff member

I think you're reaching a bit with the agree to disagree language - I make it a point to only "agree to disagree" with people when I can see where they're coming from, and their argument rests on at least somewhat valid principles. But hey, I guess you're required to be overly PC because you're a staff member

There are only so many times you can point out the flaws in someone's argument for them to just not get it/see it from your view before it is probably just best to leave it and concentrate on someone who is more open for discussion. 

Edit: This is pretty much what I meant above but in a more round about way- I've been following the thread on and off all day whilst doing other things and that was the conclusion I came to after watching you all debate. People may see it differently however and that's fine as long as it's kept on topic- i.e. not going off on a Gengar tangent. 

But but but... Gengar tangents are fun! I mean c'mon, it can sweep every team just as easily as Dragonite. Don't forget though that Aerodactyl is better than all of these because it can use Sub+Leichi and surprise kill with a +1 that is definitely going to flinch wreck your incoming Slowbro after I just did 99.9% damage to myself! Also, Slaking is just like Dragonite and you should use the exact same techniques to beat both, cuz no way is your opponent going to predict your switch after you just protect/scouted the CB move. 

It doesn't matter though because I'm bad and everything is just going to be banned anyways, so I'm going to leave this conversation and not comment anymore.

Just kidding, I mean seriously, Dragonite is good but not good cuz it can only win by prediction. STAB Dragon Claw doesn't cover everything, and even if it did Fire Punch is crap and I can totally wreck you if you use it. 

Extremespeed is also crap because Gengar. You know, just to bring it back full circle one more time. 

Just kidding, I mean seriously, Dragonite is good but not good cuz it can only win by prediction. STAB Dragon Claw doesn't cover everything, and even if it did Fire Punch is crap and I can totally wreck you if you use it. 

Extremespeed is also crap because Gengar. You know, just to bring it back full circle one more time. 

Youre forgetting flygon - which can switch in on any of dnite's moves except for dclaw. That helps a little

Edited by Gunthug

With the recent Special/Physical split, Dragonite gained access to the high powered Physical Dragon Claw, which is unresisted in the OU metagame except by Steel types. Combined with a top-tier Attack stat and access to moves like Earthquake, Fire Punch, Fire Blast, and Extremespeed, Dragonite is able to effectively 1-2HKO any Steel type that might be used to counter Dragon Claw while also protecting itself (and its team) from fast Special sweepers who might otherwise check it (i.e. Jolteon). Its movepool is vast enough to support Dragon Dance sets, Choice Band sets, and mixed sets, all of which have a great variety of options to cover other pokemon. Even Slowbro, the bulkiest and most used OU Physical wall, is unable to survive repeated Thunder/Thunderbolt from Dragonite. From a usage standpoint, Dragonite is the most used pokemon in OU; the extremely high usage of its checks (Gengar, Metagross and Slowbro) points to the fact that Dragonite is extremely difficult to defeat by other means.

From reading this thread, it should be clear that community believes that Dragonite's strength is unhealthy for the development of the OU metagame and that Dragonite is centralizing to the point where it is foolish not to use it. Many players commented in this thread and elsewhere that Dragonite can sweep through the OU metagame with little effort, which is the Offensive Characteristic for banishment from OU.

Given these facts, the OU Tiering Council has voted to ban Dragonite to Ubers

-Credit to Robofiend for the above text-

Ik council got its decision but may i suggest something here?

instead of banning pokes why dont u try ban moves... u consider dragonite strong... ban dclaw or choiceband on it... or if u want to see it less often ban espeed since most ppl use it for its priority....instead of banning a poke try to see first if u can ban some moves so ppl can still make a use for it... for example dragon dance dragonite itsnt that threatening... u could go with banning a move or ban a CB into dragonite... etc... just a suggestion....i would suggest the same for salamence that it got banned just for dclaw....u could ban that instead of whole poke...

Edited by liotec

Ik council got its decision but may i suggest something here?

instead of banning pokes why dont u try ban moves... u consider dragonite strong... ban dclaw... or if u want to see it less often ban espeed since most ppl use it for its priority....instead of banning a poke try to see first if u can ban some moves so ppl can still make a use for it... for example ddnite itsnt that threatening... u could go with banning a move or ban a CB into dragonite... etc... just a suggestion....i would suggest the same for salamence that it got banned just for dclaw....u could ban that instead of whole poke...

Banning claw or espeed is nonsensical. Cmon now, think about that for a second.

can we get a quick ban like asap on reversal. imo this should have came along with dnite if your getting rid of it. INB4 bash excel because hes noob. reversal isnt healthy and needs to go or we lose 3 more pokes. oh and cant wait for charizard to now become fun again with fire punch belly drum oh dear god, what have we done.smh

first tho get rid of reversal plz.