[PSL 6] HYPE Thread

Just now, DoubleJ said:

There's been salt, it's just not the high quality nonsense we're used to. I mean, a team honestly tried to quit b/c they couldn't play for a tie due to rules, players sleezed their way out of bets, a manager quit early in the season b/c reasons, multiple players were ass and didn't play after they signed up, there were bans handed out, multiple players were pissed just b/c I was host, and to top it all off peeps are completely trying to reform the PSL after what I would call a good season. 

Salt is salt fam. 

I wouldn't call that salt, sounds more like bit ching to me. 

Also, lowkey hoping you will surprise all of us and post that playoff thread tomorrow or something. 

I'll write a better post when I get home, or not.

You see, my opponent Kanzo hates fun. He wants to limit PSL to just plain old OU, NU and UU. If I am host, I promise you DPP, ADV OU, VGC, LC AND Doubles! I promise you no trades throughout  the season (with the exception of mid season auction which trading will be enabled for short period of time). Seasons will be same length as current to promote hype and rewards. Pre-playoffs will be shorter due to less managers, but playoffs will be longer. In essence, I will make PSL fun again!

#MoemoeforPSL7

13 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

So, reading through the posts today it looks like @gbwead has recommended the following changes:

1. Multiple hosts
  2. No more trades
  3. No more midseason
  4. Shorter seasons (thus more frequency)
  5. Less managers (thus less teams)
  6. More matches per week (thus more tiers)
  7. If you have a bad auction, you should expect to lose and never manage again

I can't say I'm on board with a PSL that looks like that. The original idea of the PSL was to bring the community closer together through a unified event that was complex. By limiting the complexity, we are essentially gutting what made the PSL great and trying to reform it as something it really isn't. Those kind of changes look better in an official format held by staff, rather than by the community. We here like variety, or at least I do. We also like surprise, which in turn brings excitement. Trades, midseason, long seasons, and a decent number of teams provide both. 

#4 I did not suggest anything regarding frequency.

#6 I did not suggest that.

#7 This is not a suggestion, more something that I implied.

The suggestions I made are usually seperate from each other and I don't give them the same level of importance. The 2 main problems for me are trades and playoffs being too exclusive which leads teams to give up too early. The lenght of a season and number of teams is of very little importance compared to the two other problems.

If the idea of PSL is to bring the community closer together, why did trades made Bae and Cuboned line-ups LYLE and AURA? Excitement can come in various ways, it doesn't have to come from the exploitation of something has broken as trades imo.

Edited by gbwead
1 minute ago, gbwead said:

If the idea of PSL is to bring the community closer together, why did trades made Bae and Cuboned line-ups LYLE and AURA? Excitement can come in various ways, it doesn't have to come the exploitation of something has broken as trades imo.

I think it's called circle jerking 

#4 I did not suggest anything regarding frequency.

My apologies, you and Gazelli brought up frequency when you started asking to shorten the season so I just assumed. 

#6 I did not suggest that.

" Having less teams doesn't mean having less matches per week since teams can simply become larger. "

#7 This is not a suggestion, more something that I implied.

Sounds shit. The role of the manager doesn't simply end after they draft their team. 

The suggestions I made are usually seperate from each other and I don't give them the same level of importance. The 2 main problems for me are trades and playoffs being to exclusive which leads team to give up too early. The lenght of a season and number of teams is of very little importance compared to the two other problems.

I agree with expanding the playoffs to include 6 teams, with the top 2 teams having byes. That sounds dope. Trades need reworked though, they don't need to be cut. 

If the idea of PSL is to bring the community closer together, why did trades made Bae and Cuboned line-ups LYLE and AURA? Excitement can come in various ways, it doesn't have to come the exploitation of something has broken as trades imo.

Trades didn't make Bae "LYLE". Yes Kaynine picked up Raaidn at the deadline, but before that Kay had a team that consisted of DoubleJ, GymLeaderGaryy, Torinnnnn (fuck you), and Murder. Hilariously enough we traded a LYLE player (Murder) for a LYLE player (Raaidn) and lost a LYLE member (Torr) to a team swap, so techinically we actually became less LYLE after the draft. XPLOZ spoke on Cubones, but yes I joked during the auction how Doc was just buying up Aura plebs.

In the end, managers are going to draft the people they can rely on. Unfortunately, most of the time that includes their teammates. All in all though, this isn't LYLE v Aura, this is Bae's vs Cuboned. Hopefully you can look past that bias.  

10 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

In the end, managers are going to draft the people they can rely on. Unfortunately, most of the time that includes their teammates. All in all though, this isn't LYLE v Aura, this is Bae's vs Cuboned. Hopefully you can look past that bias.  

If I agree with something DoubleJ said, you gotta know shit's real.

I, for one- as a player- would do my best for any manager who would buy me. This shows he trusts me and my skills and for that, I would squeeze out everything to repay this trust. Regardless of that, it's also much easier for a manager to have majority of people inside of the team- this helps with communication between team members, plus like DoubleJ said managers draft people they think they can rely on.

I remember when I drafted No Mercy's squad- which was one epic team, unfortunately badly fucked by RNG in playoffs, but still quite successful. I didn't draft an all-out Aura team, in fact, I had more LYLE folks inside. I drafted people whom I trusted and whom I known and I surely did not get disappointed.

On the other hand Doc bought Enrique and that second guy who refused to play jajajaj.

Edited by RysPicz

To be fair... As a manager, of course you're going to drift towards your own team mates.

You know exactly how skilled they are which can't really be said when picking players from other teams and you can be sure you are already compatible with those types of people. Trust me, if you mix teams together, some players just do not work lol. I'v had problems in Baenines with certain members but I'v done my best to keep it hidden and stop it happening. It probably happens in other teams, I remember RagingLions last year with Doc + Fred was a cluster fuck. Recruiting team mates for the most part remove that problem for the most part.

Edited by KaynineXL
2 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

To be fair... As a manager, of course you're going to drift towards your own team mates.

You know exactly how skilled they are and you can be sure you are already compatible with those types of people. Trust me, if you mix teams together, some players just do not work lol. I'v had problems in Baenines with certain members but I'v done my best to keep it hidden and stop it happening. It probably happens in other teams, I remember RagingLions last year with Doc + Fred was a cluster fuck. Recruiting team mates for the most part remove that problem for the most part.

To be fair we were teammates not too long ago. He just pooped for leaving and is now a pleb shiny hunter (fuck you @DaftCoolio)

I mean why would I not draft people from my team tho, I trust them enough to know that they can win games every week and put in that effort. And thats because how close I am to them, it's easier too tbh. I'm not saying that you should only draft people from your team, but I can clearly see why people would draft people of their team with no doubt

E: Also about the teams ending up being LYLE vs AURA circle jerking.. not really, coolio's team got 5 SASS players (manager included), 6 if we include LEgendl who was SASS for a bit too.. why it always gotta be lyle and aura 

Edited by BlackJovi
18 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

" Having less teams doesn't mean having less matches per week since teams can simply become larger. "

That still doesn't mean having more matches per week.

20 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Sounds shit. The role of the manager doesn't simply end after they draft their team. 

I never said the role of the manager ends after the draft. I said that, if a manager can't make his draft work, we are looking at a bad manager.

Drafting players from your own team is not a problem. However, it is quite problematic to see a player traded to a PSL team where most members are from his PokeMMO team. There will automatically be bias suspicion associated with that trade and the performances of that player so far will have to be questioned. 

PSL doesn't need trades to be exciting, I don't believe that at all.

2 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Drafting players from your own team is not a problem. However, it is quite problematic to see a player traded to a PSL team where most members are from his PokeMMO team. There will automatically be bias suspicion associated with that trade and the performances of that player so far will have to be questioned. 

And they say I'm biased... accusing a player, even hypothetically, of throwing in the PSL just so he can land on a teammate's squad is pretty rude. 

EDIT: And no, the PSL doesn't need trades to be exciting, but it does help and it does offer more for the manager. 

Edited by DoubleJ
1 minute ago, DoubleJ said:

Your doubts are there. I haven't seen anyone else accuse anyone of this aside from you. 

I'm not trying to start drama JJ, so I'm not going to call people out just so we can see some pointing fingers happening. I said earlier that a player can alter his performance uncounciously which mean accusations would be pointless. Doubts are nothing more than doubts. People might not expressed them publicly on this thread, but I can assure you I am not the only one that wonders.