Define the Sturdy - Steel Type Art Contest (November 5th - December 5th)

Rache

5 minutes ago, WolfgangDamien said:

I just wanted to add my two cents, since it took that turn.

My complaint on the last contest was purely over skill. Whether judges mean it that way or not, ranking that Breloom over my own entry is telling me Im not as skillful as the Breloom picture, and I havent produced a piece of artwork at that level of skill since I was 12. Its not saying that Breloom wasnt a good picture, as that was the best I could do at one point too, but I am better now, and it felt like a slap in the face with the judges saying "No, you are not any better now than when you were 12." with the added insult of "Moetal and Lyouie are real artists who deserve the win, not you. And literally any other entry is better than yours." Thats how I took it. 

I take my art more seriously than maybe I should, but Ive worked my whole life to become a professional artist, and it is a serious topic to me. 

Since it's been said a few times that "skill" isnt taken into account during judging, maybe I will rethink how I take the results of these contests. But I also feel like maybe that should have been more emphasized, because more than one serious artist has gotten upset over this. 

I have judged an art contest once myself and while I understand you might think your work was worse than someone else's work when you have used more skill. Although that isn't entirely true, while YOU might think it was the best entry. Other people might have different opinions. That's the nice thing about these events is that there are more than 1 view on the art work. People have different tastes of "good" and "skillful". When I judged the one I got asked to judge I didn't necessarily look at the skill being used, but more if I liked how it looked and if it fit the theme etc. 

In the end there can only be 1 winner, I know every art contest is always really close and in my opinion every single one is mind blowing and should deserve a price. But staff need to make a choice, sometimes that choice might not be to your liking. So what? Try again next month and don't let such a thing bother you. You know yourself you are a talented person. And so does everyone else who has viewed previous art contests. 

1 minute ago, TheChampionMike said:

I have judged an art contest once myself and while I understand you might think your work was worse than someone else's work when you have used more skill. Although that isn't entirely true, while YOU might think it was the best entry. Other people might have different opinions. That's the nice thing about these events is that there are more than 1 view on the art work. People have different tastes of "good" and "skillful". When I judged the one I got asked to judge I didn't necessarily look at the skill being used, but more if I liked how it looked and if it fit the theme etc. 

In the end there can only be 1 winner, I know every art contest is always really close and in my opinion every single one is mind blowing and should deserve a price. But staff need to make a choice, sometimes that choice might not be to your liking. So what? Try again next month and don't let such a thing bother you. You know yourself you are a talented person. And so does everyone else who has viewed previous art contests. 

I let it get to me more than it should, yes. And Im also taking steps to learn how to color better. Hopefully Ill come back to these contests an even better artist. 

Though I never said I thought mine was best, I conceded to Moetal and Lyoue before judging even began. I just felt that on skill alone, my entry, Lyouie's and Moetal's stood out as the most skillful. Now that I know skill isnt considered, its less of a blow to the ego. 

4 hours ago, WolfgangDamien said:

I just wanted to add my two cents, since it took that turn.

My complaint on the last contest was purely over skill. Whether judges mean it that way or not, ranking that Breloom over my own entry is telling me Im not as skillful as the Breloom picture, and I havent produced a piece of artwork at that level of skill since I was 12. Its not saying that Breloom wasnt a good picture, as that was the best I could do at one point too, but I am better now, and it felt like a slap in the face with the judges saying "No, you are not any better now than when you were 12." with the added insult of "Moetal and Lyouie are real artists who deserve the win, not you. And literally any other entry is better than yours." Thats how I took it. 

I take my art more seriously than maybe I should, but Ive worked my whole life to become a professional artist, and it is a serious topic to me. 

Since it's been said a few times that "skill" isnt taken into account during judging, maybe I will rethink how I take the results of these contests. But I also feel like maybe that should have been more emphasized, because more than one serious artist has gotten upset over this. 

No, placing the Breloom over your entry does not mean it solely took more skill. 

JUST STOP. Your post is beyond rude (see: "artwork at that level of skill since I was 12"). I highly doubt the Breloom artist was expecting all of this backlash over a very innocent submission to a contest. Find a way to move on from how it made you feel, stop posting about it, and let people feel as though they can submit art with a chance of doing well and not getting this level of negative attention. 

I really didn't want to keep posting about this, but I felt I could not ignore how shockingly rude and self centred your post is. 

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

I won't deny that I don't agree with the Breloom getting the 3rd place at all, but I really feel bad for the guy who drawed it when I look at this discussion...

If you feel more bad for Rainbow than for all other contestants and me who were all offended because of his cute drawing, I think you need to double check your priorities 

its getting close to the deadline, might as well post something instead of nothing

IGN: DynamicPyro

Qnap06M.jpg

Progress:

sketch on paper pre-digital

NWPCK4T.jpg

Digital Transfer pre color

FdE12wa.jpg

backgrounds pretty basic i know, but im busy all weekend up until the deadline, so hopefully i have time to re-upload a quick edit with more involved backgrounds

k bye

Edited by Pyroface
6 hours ago, Moetal said:

If you feel more bad for Rainbow than for all other contestants and me who were all offended because of his cute drawing, I think you need to double check your priorities 

I never said this, in fact I felt more bad for Damien than for anyone else who participated in that contest, I am just trying to look at

things by all points, you know, you guys aren't the only ones being offended here...

To those who are still salty about last time, get over it. Its just a competition based on a game and tbh i dont think i should have won but its good for the community to have new players winning the competition rather than the same few who output some good images. I didnt put a lot of effort into the drawing that i did because i knew that i probably wouldnt win but i still wanted to participate. If it means that much to you ill send you the yen that i won from the competition because im sick of looking at this contest thread and seeing beef from the last one.

18 minutes ago, RainbowNebula said:

To those who are still salty about last time, get over it. Its just a competition based on a game and tbh i dont think i should have won but its good for the community to have new players winning the competition rather than the same few who output some good images. I didnt put a lot of effort into the drawing that i did because i knew that i probably wouldnt win but i still wanted to participate. If it means that much to you ill send you the yen that i won from the competition because im sick of looking at this contest thread and seeing beef from the last one.

Its really unfortunate this is the way things have turned out and I apologize that it has come to this with the way people are acting since I am one of the people that placed you in my top 3, and would again given the opportunity.  

To me, art is not about how technical a piece is, it can both be extremely technical and extremely good, but it doesn't need to be extremely technical to be extremely good.  I'm not here to grade how much effort a person put into a piece of art or how well they employed such and such technique, I am not an art professor.  I am here to judge which pieces of art I find more/the most appealing.  That is not to say it has no bearing whatsoever, skill could very well be the difference between first and second place when it comes down to it after I've decided okay I like this piece and this piece but I can't decide which.  I will often consult Rachel about what exactly went into it to help make that final decision.  But it has to get their first.

4 hours ago, RainbowNebula said:

No one is mad at you, no one cares about the prize money. We are mad at the judges, and about lost recognition. Its about ego and pride and nothing more. 

11 hours ago, debuti said:

ign: debuti

well.. let's try

dKgjsLW.jpg

first scanned version:

Reveal hidden contents

9MMPeNm.jpg

this one is supposed to be a "process" pic but I just disabled some layers (the gray one has the texture and light...) to give more proofs:

Reveal hidden contents

RCUEITG.jpg

This is cool to share, look how it looks if I remove the basic layer (and the blur), looks like some kind of weird textured collage:

Reveal hidden contents

ciw83p3.jpg

oh. my. fucking. god.

hey man, can I use it as my phone wallpaper?

E:

before this entry I had a clear favourite...

not anymore

Edited by RysPicz
12 hours ago, debuti said:

ign: debuti

well.. let's try

dKgjsLW.jpg

first scanned version:

Reveal hidden contents

9MMPeNm.jpg

this one is supposed to be a "process" pic but I just disabled some layers (the gray one has the texture and light...) to give more proofs:

Reveal hidden contents

RCUEITG.jpg

This is cool to share, look how it looks if I remove the basic layer (and the blur), looks like some kind of weird textured collage:

Reveal hidden contents

ciw83p3.jpg

I prefer the non painted version that looks like a mangá, I really liked it!

Edited by Maelstrom