[PSL 6] HYPE Thread

9 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Why are trades only between two managers? Just because we haven't seen that blockbuster three team trade yet doesn't mean it can't happen. Like I've said before, a managers job does not end after the auction. You don't get to just draft a team, do that hand motion where you swipe them up and down (can't think of a name for it), then walk away. Auctions are notoriously unpredictable and a team that ends up with a less than stellar auction should have the means to improve their team. If this hinders other managers who are choosing not to be active on the trade market then so be it, it's their loss. 

Imo, if a managers fucks up if line-up, he should just lose PSL and not be chosen as a manager anymore. If PSL seasons were shorter, a manager that loses would not be a big deal imo.

9 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Again the biggest problem this season was the timing of the trade deadline. If it had been after week 5 instead of week 6, Riga wouldn't have blown up his team because we were still in contention at that time. Easy fix for next season. I'm loving your objective analysis of PSL and all the suggestions you're providing, as a former host I can assure you it's extremely helpful for Jj, but I do disagree with you strongly on the trades issue 

I guess the only thing we can do is agree to disagree. I wonder about moving the trade deadline from week 5 instead of week 6. Team Riga was not the last team this season. Savage Swamperts were no longer in contention before team Riga, right? Shouldn't the deadline be fixed prior to week 5 with that in mind?

Edit: A team that is 0-4 can't make playoffs I think. Is there a scenario where a 0-3 team can't make playoffs? 

Edited by gbwead
Just now, gbwead said:

Imo, if a managers fucks up if line-up, he should just lose PSL and not be chosen as a manager anymore. If PSL seasons were shorter, a manager that loses would not be a big deal imo.

I guess the only thing we can do is agree to disagree. I wonder about moving the trade deadline from week 5 instead of week 6. Team Riga was not the last team this season. Savage Swamperts were no longer in contention before team Riga, right? Shouldn't the deadline be fixed prior to week 5 with that in mind?

Iirc even telfs team was in contention after week 5, which would have made it a perfect trade deadline. However it's certainly possible for a team to be completely out of contention by week 5, in a less competitive season. That could be remedied though by simply not allowing trades where one team involved is no longer in playoff contention. 

1 minute ago, gbwead said:

If the auction doesn't go the way the manager intended it to, why shouldn't there be any means for him to redeem himself? This is not a make or break situation, and it would just discourage the manager from putting effort into the season. He's gonna "lose PSL" and "not be chosen as a manager anymore" so no point in trying. Making PSL seasons shorter is a terrible idea. Not only will the prize shrink as a result of this, having PSL seasons so frequently lessen the desire for players to sign up since there are so many. I'd rather have one long season than multiple short seasons. In addition, shorter seasons would make it a lot harder for teams to make a comeback. So play off contenders can be accurately guessed within a few weeks. PSL shouldn't be something that you just need to get over with if it doesn't work out for you. What makes PSL special and appealing is the fact that there is always a chance for a team to come back from behind and try to make something of their season. Imagine removing the midseason auction and having less teams (aka less weeks), there will be a lot less hype. Imo I wouldn't try to change the whole PSL system itself. As we've seen this season, there is a ton of hype. This can be credited to the amount of matches we have a week, in comparison to other seasons. 

2 ideas:

What if we increased the amount of playoff spots from 4 to 6?

In this format: 0293acff92.jpg

yes it's league

You can even make a rule that if the 6th wins vs the 3rd they battle the 2nd in semi finals and the winner of 4th vs 5th would battle 2nd place instead of what the picture shows.

Another idea is to increase the playoff spots from 4 to 5 and have a gauntlet like playoff.

5th place regular season vs 4th place regular season 

Winner of above match vs 3rd place regular season

Winner of above vs 2nd place regular season

Winner of above vs 1st place regular season

These are just ideas i'm throwing around coming from esports playoff/tournament formats.

More playoff spots will decrease the trading problem (because i feel from this PSL essentially people just want to play, they don't necessary want to be in an OP team).

Just my 5 cents, feel free to comment.

Trades are only between 2 managers? This noob doesn't know about the time me, @DoctorPBC and @DaftCoolio almost did a 3 way trade... Most confusing, mind fucking trade ever.

But yeh, trades past week 5 definitely need to be scrapped. Trades before that need heavy restriction.

I understand where Gbwead is coming from, ultimately, trades and mid-season are impossible really to make it fair, but then removing it does remove a lot of the hype and managerial actions to make the managers more useful. I think the best we can do it try balance it.

1 minute ago, Tranzmaster said:

2 ideas:

What if we increased the amount of playoff spots from 4 to 6?

In this format: 0293acff92.jpg

yes it's league

You can even make a rule that if the 6th wins vs the 3rd they battle the 2nd in semi finals and the winner of 4th vs 5th would battle 2nd place instead of what the picture shows.

Another idea is to increase the playoff spots from 4 to 5 and have a gauntlet like playoff.

5th place regular season vs 4th place regular season 

Winner of above match vs 3rd place regular season

Winner of above vs 2nd place regular season

Winner of above vs 1st place regular season

These are just ideas i'm throwing around coming from esports playoff/tournament formats.

More playoff spots will decrease the trading problem (because i feel from this PSL essentially people just want to play, they don't necessary want to be in an OP team).

Just my 5 cents, feel free to comment.

I recommended both of those I think last season?

It's a good idea because it means even shit teams like Swampers/Team Riga won't lose motivation since they'll pretty much always have a chance.

Just now, KaynineXL said:

I recommended both of those I think last season?

It's a good idea because it means even shit teams like Swampers/Team Riga won't lose motivation since they'll pretty much always have a chance.

Sorry I wasn't around last season. But yea I do think these ideas should definitely be considered. They've been tested in esports and are more and more used.

43 minutes ago, Gazelli said:

If the auction doesn't go the way the manager intended it to, why shouldn't there be any means for him to redeem himself? This is not a make or break situation, and it would just discourage the manager from putting effort into the season. He's gonna "lose PSL" and "not be chosen as a manager anymore" so no point in trying. 

He shouldn't have the means to redeem himself simply because redeeming himself is at the expense of the managers that did not fuck up. It would not discourade the manager from putting effort into the season because the manager should not know he has a bad line-up until the second or third loss. If a manager comes out of an auction thinking the line-up he just made is bad, he should not be a manager!!!

Edit: If a manager truly wants to redeem himself, he help his players train, he gives them competitive advice when they need some and he uses his social kills to keep up the moral of his team.

Making PSL seasons shorter is a terrible idea. Not only will the prize shrink as a result of this, having PSL seasons so frequently lessen the desire for players to sign up since there are so many. I'd rather have one long season than multiple short seasons.

We just had 2 PSL seasons back to back with little to no break between them. Players that finished playing had to sign-up right after for the next season. Frequency means nothing if you don't consider the break time between seasons.

In addition, shorter seasons would make it a lot harder for teams to make a comeback. So play off contenders can be accurately guessed within a few weeks. PSL shouldn't be something that you just need to get over with if it doesn't work out for you. What makes PSL special and appealing is the fact that there is always a chance for a team to come back from behind and try to make something of their season.

This is false imo. The probability to see a comeback is based of a simple number of teams in playoffs by total number of teams ratio. The lenght of  a season has nothing to do with the probability to see a comeback.

Imagine removing the midseason auction and having less teams (aka less weeks), there will be a lot less hype. Imo I wouldn't try to change the whole PSL system itself. As we've seen this season, there is a ton of hype. 

This is a very passive and anti-progessive way to look at PSL imo. Having less weeks is a pretty good way this early in PSL history to eliminate for future PSL seasons the managers that are simply to up for the task. 

This can be credited to the amount of matches we have a week, in comparison to other seasons. 

Having less teams doesn't mean having less matches per week since teams can simply become larger. 

Edited by gbwead
17 minutes ago, gbwead said:

He shouldn't have the means to redeem himself simply because redeeming himself is at the expense of the managers that did not fuck up. It would not discourade the manager from putting effort into the season because the manager should not know he has a bad line-up until the second or third loss. If a manager comes out of an auction thinking the line-up he just made is bad, he should not be a manager!!

So if a manager messes up he's a bad manager and should not be a manager anymore? Idk what kind of logic that is. You see professional soccer managers making bad purchases, doesn't make them bad managers, just means their judgement wasn't on point. So should a manager be robbed of their chance to rise to glory just because he fucked up? In relation to other managers, I'm pretty sure they would rather have more competition than a team whose not good and unable to make it better due to midseason auction being removed.

We just had 2 PSL seasons back to back with little to no break between them. Players that finished playing had to sign-up right after for the next season. Frequency means nothing if you don't consider the break time between seasons.

I agree with this part, but by shortening the season, making the teams larger, having less teams, would not benefit PSL in any way, shape, or form. You're giving less managers a chance to manage a team, and I'm sure if you ask anyone. They would prefer having PSL last as long as it is right now. Having PSL go for any weeks shorter than it is now, will not make it as fun.

This is a very passive and anti-progessive way to look at PSL imo. Having less weeks is a pretty good way this early in PSL history to eliminate for future PSL seasons the managers that are simply to up for the task. 

Deez nuts. Suggesting that we shouldn't revolutionize PSL is not the same as being passive and anti-progressive (get it right). We should make changes gradually, and test things out before having all these changes done by next season. 

Having less teams doesn't mean having less matches per week since teams can simply become larger. 

You're right, doesn't mean having less matches. BUT IT MEANS HAVING LESS MANAGERS TO BATTLE IT OUT WITH EACH OTHER WHICH AINT VERY FUN IS IT. More managers = More teams = More salt = More HYPE. All I'm saying is don't make PSL bad. (Cuz what ur suggesting will clearly do so) 

Also...

Spoiler

How is it that someone who doesn't even play PSL can understand how PSL players feel. What ur saying would be better said by someone who has actually experienced PSL.

LF PLAY OFFS THREAD ASAP

33 minutes ago, Gazelli said:

How is it that someone who doesn't even play PSL can understand how PSL players feel. What ur saying would be better said by someone who has actually experienced PSL.

I actually played in PSL before, so I am speaking from experience.  PSL is also not only about the players, but also the spectators.

The reason why I thought making psl seasons shorter would be a good idea was mainly so that we could get a better ratio of teams in playoffs. 

2 hours ago, RysPicz said:

VGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGC!

VGC for PSL 7 and no more biased hosts please.

Just now, xXBlu3BreathXx said:

VGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGC!

Couldn't agree more.

4 minutes ago, Gazelli said:

Pageking is mine >:D

Rip @SweeTforU

So, reading through the posts today it looks like @gbwead has recommended the following changes:

1. Multiple hosts
  2. No more trades
  3. No more midseason
  4. Shorter seasons (thus more frequency)
  5. Less managers (thus less teams)
  6. More matches per week (thus more tiers)
  7. If you have a bad auction, you should expect to lose and never manage again

I can't say I'm on board with a PSL that looks like that. The original idea of the PSL was to bring the community closer together through a unified event that was complex. By limiting the complexity, we are essentially gutting what made the PSL great and trying to reform it as something it really isn't. Those kind of changes look better in an official format held by staff, rather than by the community. We here like variety, or at least I do. We also like surprise, which in turn brings excitement. Trades, midseason, long seasons, and a decent number of teams provide both. 

Just now, BlackJovi said:

There hasnt been any salt this season, we just need Lion for normal salt. 

There's been salt, it's just not the high quality nonsense we're used to. I mean, a team honestly tried to quit b/c they couldn't play for a tie due to rules, players sleezed their way out of bets, a manager quit early in the season b/c reasons, multiple players were ass and didn't play after they signed up, there were bans handed out, multiple players were pissed just b/c I was host, and to top it all off peeps are completely trying to reform the PSL after what I would call a good season. 

Salt is salt fam.