Team Tournament January 2017 (Saturday 28th January)

Noad

4 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

The funny thing here, is that at the end of the day all of this bickering and whining is going to do absolutely nothing for either party. Doubles will still be a part of the TT, Doubles will continue to get shafted by not having proper representation in Official Tournaments, and Gb will still be salty. It has been fun though. 

JJ while typing that post :

b1ktLcD.jpg

On ‎3‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 5:15 PM, Mnemosyne said:

Based on what is UU every single month?

Shouldn't it be like this

OU/UU/NU

OU/UU/Doubles

OU/NU/Doubles

OU/UU/NU

OU/UU/Doubles

OU/NU/Doubles

etc

Gonna quote ^ every day until I get a proper reason from a staff member why UU is literally every month in TT.

Edited by Mnemosyne

Based on what is UU every single month?

Shouldn't it be like this

OU/UU/NU

OU/UU/Doubles

OU/NU/Doubles

OU/UU/NU

OU/UU/Doubles

OU/NU/Doubles

etc

Gonna quote ^ every day until I get a proper reason from a staff member why UU is literally every month in TT.

On 04/01/2017 at 1:10 PM, Rendiz said:

Honestly this whole popularity argument really dumb, partly due to the subjective nature of the word. Are there more players who play NU and UU compared to doubles? Yes, I don't believe the difference is anywhere near what gb is making it out to be. But of the players who play the tier are the NU and UU players more passionate about the tier? In this instance I would disagree. Both can be viewed as popularity and it's distorting the argument and taking it on a worthless tangent.

On the second point that gb makes about doubles being less competitive, I would have to strongly disagree and it's for the same reason as why people who play doubles are more passionate about it than most UU and NU players are and that is because its a completely different format. As orange previously mentioned all the singles tiers are essentially the same with slight differences, whereas doubles is completely different format which intrinsically requires different thought processes and skill sets. In a Team Tournament which is fundamentally trying to showcase the best PokeMMO has to offer showing off player skill and tier diversity would it not therefor be beneficial to include a different and completely unique format with its only entirely different meta and skill sets?

I mean. it isnt really that dumb to compare doubles and NU imo.  Doubles should be a tier where people would want to go to in the first place, seing as most new people start with OU, expending to doubles should be something relatively easy to do, at least to have a small feel of what doubles is about, but yet you still see people with haunter and chanseys in doubles. You also see tyrone going to 4th round using NU pokemons in doubles vs people using OU/Ubers.

Clearly most people who play doubles don't invest time in the tier, bringing haunter or chansey in doubles is like bringing a not fully leveld comp in NU, you lose so much stats for no reason other than being lazy or poor. If someone would try and go play any other tier with mons WAY bellow their tier, even being very good at the game like tyrone did in doubles bringing NU pokemons, he would get his ass handed to him in no time, because you just can't do that in other tiers because they are taken way more seriously than doubles is. You coulld MAYBE win a round or 2, but 4? come on, that should be proof enough that doubles isnt taken seriously but only by a handfull of players who seem to all be in the same 2 teams.

All ive seen so far is lyle players denfending doubles vs every other team saying doubles is a joke since its built out of necessity back in early 2013 where there was no other tier to fill the 3 man TT spot, NU didnt exist back then. So basically doubles has been created 3-4 years ago and has not been touched since. Nothing gets ever banned and the tier doesnt get fixed like ever. I can remember multiple times where doubles was glitched, bad, centralizing and clearly the devs see it too since they do not hotfix anything relied to doubles, I can remember that one time where rain dance was glitched for MONTHS and nothing was done about it. I can also remember every double players wanting to have the option to change a move when it has been clicked or miss clicked, but clearly the devs don't see a point in introducing such a mechanism in a format that is hardly played competitively by a wide player base. 

I really do enjoy doubles doe, but in its current state where theres so much broken stuff, and where u have to go beyond and back to even have a chance to be competitive against the better doubles player is just not worth it. RNG plays such a huge factor in doubles its insane, and thats why doubles should always be played BO3. But seing as there has been no change whatsoever in doubles in over 3 years, I don't see how it can be called anything else than a joke. Just like the first NU was a joke where it had a player base who invested time and effort to be competitive in it, does not mean it wasnt a joke back then. 

So yeah, instead of arguing if doubles is a joke or not, wich it clearly is, we should come together and find solutions in improving it so it can be really competitive, here are mine, I know everyone thinks them but I can't remember seing them dicussed in this thread ; BO3, having some actual bans in the tier, and having the undo button when you play. With these 3 easy solutions, it should be easy to make doubles a fun and enjoyable tier for more people. Devs will say that BO3 will be hard to implement in automated tourneys, just have doubles as a silph co tourney again, god knows it would hype the tier up having everyone talk and spectate like back in the days. Hell im even sure some people would volunteer to help during these tournaments if they'd have a chance. 

Anyways that was all for me, enjoy reading and pls let me know via pm if I repeat myself too much during this small text. 

LYLE defending doubles against every other team? Lol. I'm pretty sure I see plenty of other teams defending doubles, in fact it's easier to count those trying to remove doubles(gbwead and forf?). I can see Dreakyn(VVVV), Gunthug(SASS), Coolio(ASS), OrangeManiac(Pkmn) and probably more but I'm too lazy to check.

11 minutes ago, LionKIng said:

I can also remember every double players wanting to have the option to change a move when it has been clicked or miss clicked, but clearly the devs don't see a point in introducing such a mechanism in a format that is hardly played competitively by a wide player base. 

I feel this often overlooked as a convenience or practical issue when it is actually much worse. Not being able to cancel a move means you can't check if Dugtrio, Diglett, Trapinch, Magneton or Magnemite have a trapping ability. This mean that PokeMMO Doubles right now doesn't really respect how Pokemon Doubles battles are designed which once again makes its place in TT more than questionnable.

51 minutes ago, LionKIng said:

BO3, having some actual bans in the tier, and having the undo button when you play. 

This would be so awsome!

28 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I feel this often overlooked as a convenience or practical issue when it is actually much worse. Not being able to cancel a move means you can't check if Dugtrio, Diglett, Trapinch, Magneton or Magnemite have a trapping ability. This mean that PokeMMO Doubles right now doesn't really respect how Pokemon Doubles battles are designed which once again makes its place in TT more than questionnable.

I don't really understand how this is additional support for its TT place to be more questionable for you. Are you saying it's because we can't check if those mons you listed have their trapping ability?

If so, that's a very weak argument. It also applies to every tier, not just doubles.

6 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

How can we check if they have their trapping ability? By trying to switching out?

But trying to switch out is actually your move. You can't cancel it if your opponent selected his move before you.

Edited by gbwead

Not going to quote because long, I could be wrong here but did tyrone get into the 4th round of a official or CC? Because if it's a CC I don't think I even need a counter argument.

As far as people not dedicating a whole lot of time to the tier and bringing chanseys and haunters yes this does happen but you really don't see them anywhere near as often as you are making it out to be. Not only that the entire argument is just a giant grey area. The cause of people bringing chanseys / haunters is because they are under-prepared and don't invest much time into the tier. You could make the same argument for people who bring out of date or bad sets / lower tier pokemon or just simply bad pokemon that they are using for fun, If you do this you can instantly discount around half the players in any tier, I think saying this is only an issue in doubles is either wrong or you are massively underestimating how shit the majority of the player base is at singles tiers as well. 

It's true that nothing gets banned but I'm not even going to go into this argument further considering I don't know a single doubles player who wants anything to be banned.

Yeah RNG does suck and it does sometimes impact doubles matches. And yes Bo3 would be great, If it will ever happen because of time constraints is a different story. Any game with RNG elements having the most games possible is always going to be good for competitiveness even in singles, but given time constraints I doubt this will happen. One thing that I would love to see would be team preview since lead matchups gives the player such a massive advantage using team preview to prevent yourself getting fucked by lead matchups and hence losing the game would reduce variance massively.

This really isn't a team argument so let's not make it one. Kaynine has already mentioned people from other teams vouching for doubles. There are even AURA players who are in favour of doubles so I'm not even sure where this argument is coming from.

As for the cancel button, for gods fucking sake devs please. How long has the thread been open now? close to a year? I guess I'll go bump the thread again, thanks for reminding me.

Even with its flaws I still think doubles is positive to the game and positive to the TT since it gives a different perspective on how pokemon is played. It offers diversity to a mostly stale game and as much as you can try to argue against it, there are a lot of decisions to be made and many times more thought processes needed than in singles making it take a good degree of skill. 

Spoiler

LF Cancel Button

1 hour ago, gbwead said:

But trying to switch out is actually your move. You can't cancel it if your opponent selected his move before you.

I don't exactly understand what you're saying.. So it's different in doubles? Meh, nevermind me.