A Letter to the Devs

1 hour ago, beefpoptart said:

The devs not giving any info about the wishing stone let alone even acknowledging players complaints is very inconsiderate given that we spent a ton of time doing a tedious grind for the thing six months ago.  At this point I regret doing the wishing stone because all it did was cause me to waste time in the 20% shiny boost.

You’re cooking fr. It shouldn’t take this long to get the pay off for a grind, it definitely shouldn’t take this long to even know what the pay off is. Beyond disappointing. 

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, ClosedBox said:

I do agree on the low communication though, just to know what's up. I believe there won't be an event until Halloween since they're preparing to release raids. 

The fact they didn't reveal that you are shiny locked if you spam encounters on a place without completing the league when we were always told that the only shinylock that existed was the one from NPC trades and starter pokemons from the professor is scary, not gonna lie.

Edited by Shadow
2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

The fact they didn't reveal that you are shiny locked if you spam encounters on a place without completing the league when we were always told that the only shinylock that existed was the one from NPC trades and starter pokemons from the professor is scary, not gonna lie.

They did reveal long ago that shiny locks exist, then someone hid the post from kyu but Im pretty sure there are still screens of it

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

Agreed, I think that's something that should be communicated and explain the reasoning (avoid botting I assume), even though it might not affect 99% of the player base. 

Captcha problems can be solved easily by implementing puzzles like captcha, where you have to drag certain piece manually. 

What we need from the game is transparency of mechanics implemented.

The majority of players know that a new account could be shiny locked because of one guy doing streams (Patrouski) and only because of him do we know it exists.
What else is implemented that we don't know about?

Why I can do payday 15hr/day 7d/week without a captcha?
The behavior-detecting system clearly doesn't work. 

This is the reason I valuable open source and open source software, because I can get the source code, read it myself and see what I'm using.

From time to time I'm adding a code to a project called Veloren. It's open source Minecraft + MMO + Zelda game driven by a community of contributors. Everything is open-sourced even server login, and it still can be safe ie. implementing proper Cryptographic algorithms.

That's my 2 cents to the whole story

The key issues are:
- Un transparency
- Lack of trust 

Posted (edited)

You cannot tell us you have what amounts to a gambling addiction and then expect us to take the whining seriously, man. No one forced you at gunpoint to spend 300-500 dollars every month on the game. I agree that some stuff could be handled differently, but then again, it’s not like this game has a subscription fee like WoW does. Any money you spent on it was on your own volition.

Edited by Doctor
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nenbot said:

but speaking from personal experience having spent IRL money in the gift shop ($300-$500 monthly)

we really need to start teaching people to be more responsible with their money

edit; and yea the wishing stone stuff is atrocious.

Edited by Minks
7 minutes ago, Minks said:

we really need to start teaching people to be more responsible with their money

58 minutes ago, Doctor said:

You cannot tell us you have what amounts to a gambling addiction and then expect us to take the whining seriously, man. No one forced you at gunpoint to spend 300-500 dollars every month on the game. I agree that some stuff could be handled differently, but then again, it’s not like this game has a subscription fee like WoW does. Any money you spent on it was on your own volition.

I just work a job that allows me to spend that much, not to go into finances too much but its roughly 10-15% of what I budget monthly to spend for fun. I appreciate the concern for my financial well-being but I promise that I don't spend more than I'm able to LOL. I have no issues spending that on a game I enjoy but the overall point of mentioning it was to highlight the fact that money shouldn't be an issue behind the lack of communication, updates, events or anything really because there are players who invest more than I do monthly into the game. 

They will spend part of their time ensuring the game's anti-cheating system. One of the reasons I play this game is that you don't have to pay to get enough game items, but one problem with games like this is anti-cheat, people can get game coins through automated scripts, and I have witnessed countless similar cases of games are beaten by scripts.

I agree with you about the lack of communication. recover pp nerf is completely a product that does not consider balance and competitiveness.

Posted (edited)

Text-based captcha is not best when it comes to checking if someone is botting because of OCR technology, especially well-trained text recognition models.
In 2 days I have built a cross-platform encounter counter that uses OCR (it's running on Windows, Mac, and Linux btw). I didn't even have to retrain the model I'm using, if I had fed enough pokemmo captcha examples, I think it would score 60%-80% accuracy.

What AI models aren't good at is recognizing real-life objects/living beings, because it requires a huge number of datasets and power.

Edit: 
You don't need to believe me, here is one example of scientific whitepaper https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8327894

Edit 2:
here you have example what the tool can read
image.thumb.png.6578643b748ac5175d44bc1ad5f71e81.png

Edited by rengaret
5 hours ago, Nenbot said:

Lmfao thankfully I work a job that allows me to spend that much. 

Good for you I'm sure many others are earning similar amounts or more, it's up to you how you want to spend your money.

Anyway realistically speaking this game is and has been the most popular online MMO for years now so they're obviously doing something right. Yeah of course there are flaws such as lack of communication in certain aspects and a lot of features not implemented, but at the same time the game has come a long way since 2015-2017 (new regions, legends, raids, alphas/HAs) so within time we'll hopefully see more improvements.