Tourney Signup Progress bar, without signing up

Eggplant

Question

Knowing how far the signup progress is can have a vital impact on the decision whether or not to enter. For example, if signup begun 3 minutes ago and is only at 80/128, then people might be tempted to take a few minutes to build a team and enter the tourney, all the while monitoring the singup meter to know how much time they have left.

You shouldn't have to queue to know how many people are queued.

12 answers to this question

Its kind of irrelevant, if anything its hurtful to tournaments that are slow to fill up enough to start.  32 player tournament, 12 people are signed up with 2 minutes to go, player sees that and they leave and it just cascades, instead of more people signing up to fill the bracket.  Why waste your time if you suspect its not going to fill

Thats the same wrong argument that staff used to ditch the suggestion about showing how many people queued in matchmaking. You guys are so damn wrong about this, people rather queue if they see they are spot available same as people will queue if they see there is people in the, example UU unranked. Otherwise we just think tourney are full and matchmaking is empty.

Sometimes I make no effort to sign up if I forgot about the registration just thinking I would miss the sign up.

If I could see there were spots open, I would probably go sign up. Also, if I knew there were spots that needed to be taken and I knew the tourney would fall through otherwise, I'd start telling friends to join.

It honestly works both ways. I'm in favour. 

Edited by KaynineXL
On 1/12/2016 at 6:57 PM, Munya said:

Its kind of irrelevant, if anything its hurtful to tournaments that are slow to fill up enough to start.  32 player tournament, 12 people are signed up with 2 minutes to go, player sees that and they leave and it just cascades, instead of more people signing up to fill the bracket.  Why waste your time if you suspect its not going to fill

I dont know anybody that would think that way... even if you suspect its not going to fill you keep waiting until the time ends, while you chat with friends... you only leave when the qeue is overfilled

On 12/2/2016 at 10:57 AM, Munya said:

Same thing happened at that Doubles community combat, there were 12 or so people in the queue, knowing how close we were we wrangled up another 6 or so i think and the tourny went ahead. 

Edited by DaftCoolio

The exact opposite happened at one of the earlier CC's though.  The one that got canceled and remade with a smaller bracket.  It didn't fill up enough to start, and when it was remade with a smaller bracket and more of a chance of actually starting, more people signed up for it than at the previous attempt to get it started.  Enough people that it would have almost started before.  There was about a 15 minute window between the one being canceled and the signups for the next starting, so its not like there was a massive wave in change of players, either.

5 hours ago, Munya said:

The exact opposite happened at one of the earlier CC's though.  The one that got canceled and remade with a smaller bracket.  It didn't fill up enough to start, and when it was remade with a smaller bracket and more of a chance of actually starting, more people signed up for it than at the previous attempt to get it started.  Enough people that it would have almost started before.  There was about a 15 minute window between the one being canceled and the signups for the next starting, so its not like there was a massive wave in change of players, either.

This could have been the result of people communicating that the tournament had been cancelled and a new one was being created. This creates extra awareness and more participants.

As @Eggplant stated before, a visual indicator of how many people are in queue will only lead to more people joining if the current queue number is low, because it increases their chances to win a reward at the end. 

On the flipside of this, using such a system to indicate ranked matchmaking queue 'could' have the negative effect where people recognize there aren't many players in queue and don't want to waste their time. To solve that, well there's K9's suggestion.