Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

a tournament where everyone has to use at least 1 shiny in their team. there are thousands of shinys in game if not millions and most comp players have at least one shiny or someone who will lend one. this would be a gimick tourney like the smeargle or ditto one only better ^^. preferably OU or UU tournament.

EDIT: +1 on all the officials keep up the excellent work.

A couple weeks after Hoenn is out and people start to get some new pokemon, how about a Magma vs Aqua tourney. Divide into two groups, Team Magma and Team Aqua. Magma are only allowed to use pokemon found in ruby version and aqua are only allowed to use pokemon found in saphire. I haven't thought too much into this clearly so more ideas for it pls.

Also uniform required

[spoiler]

PEmLt7K.png

5bJPtV2.png[/spoiler]

I would actually like to see this tbh.

Most of us remember the prestigious Masters Series tournaments. And we all want them back, but afaik the main reason is that staff would have to continue running them even if the staff who intentionally made it quit from staff. But what about making a small kinda series? I can see Rachel was able to post a tournament 2 months in advance, what if a small group of 4 staff hosts started a series taking 8 weeks, 2 tournaments to host for each staff members. And a finals in week 9 where like all 1st and 2nd places could make a bracket of 16 and each tournament had a 3rd place battle(there used to be those which was cool imo) fighting for that months reserve ticket. So basically; a small group of staff (4) go post 2 tournaments each, all with 1 week in between all with a decent/low tier shiny. 1st and 2nd gets a ticket to the week 9 tournament and 3rd gets a reserve, which is a semi-high valued shiny for the week 9 tournament. Then it would be up to the the group from staff deciding their 2 month tier (UU/OU/Doubles/NU/whatever) and day to run it on.

Would this be somewhat possible? And would it be any interest? (I know it's not that yearly thing, but that can be a good thing for both parts, staff and participants)

Most of us remember the prestigious Masters Series tournaments. And we all want them back, but afaik the main reason is that staff would have to continue running them even if the staff who intentionally made it quit from staff. But what about making a small kinda series? I can see Rachel was able to post a tournament 2 months in advance, what if a small group of 4 staff hosts started a series taking 8 weeks, 2 tournaments to host for each staff members. And a finals in week 9 where like all 1st and 2nd places could make a bracket of 16 and each tournament had a 3rd place battle(there used to be those which was cool imo) fighting for that months reserve ticket. So basically; a small group of staff (4) go post 2 tournaments each, all with 1 week in between all with a decent/low tier shiny. 1st and 2nd gets a ticket to the week 9 tournament and 3rd gets a reserve, which is a semi-high valued shiny for the week 9 tournament. Then it would be up to the the group from staff deciding their 2 month tier (UU/OU/Doubles/NU/whatever) and day to run it on.

Would this be somewhat possible? And would it be any interest? (I know it's not that yearly thing, but that can be a good thing for both parts, staff and participants)

only ou and uu is worth it...

[spoiler]hate on me fred and lion + nu players[/spoiler]

What about another Pokelympics (tournament by Archinix about a year and a half ago):

The Events;

Event 1 ~ 6v6 OU Singles Tournament
Event 2 ~ 6v6 UU Singles Tournament 
Event 3 ~ 6v6 NU Singles Tournament 
Event 4 ~ 6v6 Doubles Tournament
Event 5 ~ 6v6 lvl 17 Monotype NU Doubles Something else if necessary

The Points System:

The following is how you would get "points" from each event you took part in.

Tournament Point System ~ For each round that you win, you get a certain amount of points. [Each Tournament will only have a 32 man bracket.]

1st Place: 15 Points
2nd Place: 12 Points

3rd Place: 10 Points

4th Place: 7 Points

Quarters: 5 Points

2nd Round: 3 Points

1st Round: 0 Points

Note that the Tournament format is the only thing I changed to the current competitive scene, the rest is still adjusteable (the points system could maybe use a small tweak)

And of course, the winner would get a nice prize. (Back then it was Shiny Tauros).

I can't speak for others, but I personally not so enthausiastic about running a Masters in literally the same way as the last one. So why not look for alternatives. I don't want to dismiss the entire idea of running a Masters-esque Tournament, just wanted feedback on this particular idea.

What about another Pokelympics (tournament by Archinix about a year and a half ago):

The Events;

The Points System:

Tournament Point System ~ For each round that you win, you get a certain amount of points. [Each Tournament will only have a 32 man bracket.]

Note that the Tournament format is the only thing I changed to the current competitive scene, the rest is still adjusteable (the points system could maybe use a small tweak)

And of course, the winner would get a nice prize. (Back then it was Shiny Tauros).

I can't speak for others, but I personally not so enthausiastic about running a Masters in literally the same way as the last one. So why not look for alternatives. I don't want to dismiss the entire idea of running a Masters-esque Tournament, just wanted feedback on this particular idea.

this would be very cool i would like to see this kind of events very much with bigger prizes

The Events;

The Points System:

Personally, I think part of the hype behind masters was that you could say you were the best in x format. My problem with this system is that it's not really about who's the best in OU or whatever, it's just who gets the most points in these tournaments. Plus, it heavily punishes anyone who can't make it to some of the tournaments.

Not only that, but this type of tournament HEAVILY rewards coaching. Like, ridiculously so. Having people pool together their knowledge of each individual tier to make sure people get as many points as possible is much more likely to happen, with one person being coached in several tournaments, than there is of some guy just being pretty good in every format and taking the prize.

[spoiler]also lol nu[/spoiler]

Regardless of the flaws Senile pointed out I am sure a lot of people would enjoy it. In other words you're correct but it's not enough reason to not run it. I do believe Masters should come back in some shape or form (pst, 4 month long series, 16 man double elim finale, reserves from such and such requirements, lots and lots of fun! <3 !). Staff has been doing very well with events, and I am sure there's enough staff members with event knowledge/interest to pull off a masters as such.

Also, please another art contest. I would love one around Christmas as I have time off from school. I am sure others would appreciate it as well <3. If you can make it complex enough to warrant a low tier shiny that would be cool but regardless I'd like to make some Poke art with a purpose. 

Keep up the good work~

Edit: Sorry, I was quite drunk when I made this post. Anyone that knows me would know I was a critic of the masters format and how it was handled (tossed around to different staff members as former organisers quit).

My opinion does not represent the opinions of any of the current staff.

Edited by Strychnine

With the resurgence of Official Tournaments utilizing the doubles format, I think it would be appropriate to alternate between NU and Doubles each month.

With this in mind, I would like to see the upcoming Team Tournament include an OU, UU, and Doubles format. Players are showing an interest in doubles and this tier is growing. It is also extremely fun, and it requires a lot of skill and preparation. NU on the other hand seems to be falling out of interest, especially with RNG likely playing a giant roll in determining wins. It just doesn't feel like a balanced tier right now, even less so than doubles. 

Would like to hear the community's input as well.

EDIT: Also, plus one for another Master's Series. Starting it up post Hoenn update would be amazing.

Edited by DoubleJJ

With the resurgence of Official Tournaments utilizing the doubles format, I think it would be appropriate to alternate between NU and Doubles each month.

With this in mind, I would like to see the upcoming Team Tournament include an OU, UU, and Doubles format. Players are showing an interest in doubles and this tier is growing. It is also extremely fun, and it requires a lot of skill and preparation. NU on the other hand seems to be falling out of interest, especially with RNG likely playing a giant roll in determining wins. It just doesn't feel like a balanced tier right now, even less so than doubles. 

Would like to hear the community's input as well.

as i was typing in the previous thread:

yes yes yes please, no need to remove NU completely since it still has a considerable playerbase, but doubles hype is growing and its great fun to play/spec.

so i vote for alternating NU & doubles every other month to keep both happy.

wasnt that what staff said anyway the first time they shook TT tiers up? 

What I personally would like to see in Team Tournament would be 2 OU, 1 UU, 1 Doubles, 1 NU. Sometimes could be 2 OU, sometimes to 2 UU since they're the most played tiers. Would be more of a "team tournament" in my opinion having 5v5 than having 3v3. I know there are a lot of issues, probably the biggest being that we could actually get 16 teams participating but as I'm seeing now there are lot of (good) players not even playing in the team tournament for their team. Maybe one time to give it a go and see how it goes?

Edited by OrangeManiac

What I personally would like to see in Team Tournament would be 2 OU, 1 UU, 1 Doubles, 1 NU. Sometimes could be 2 OU, sometimes to 2 UU since they're the most played tiers. Would be more of a "team tournament" in my opinion having 5v5 than having 3v3. I know there are a lot of issues, probably the biggest being that we could actually get 16 teams participating but as I'm seeing now there are lot of (good) players not even playing in the team tournament for their team. Maybe one time to give it a go and see how it goes?

That would also make the tournament last much longer and would also require larger amount of refs to be involved into the tournament. We already know how long team tournaments are taking so I personally would be against it unless we would get more staff members involved into refing.

I am also against replacing NU with Doubles. Doubles are still full of bugs, argument that NU relies on RNG more then Doubles is utterly ridiculous; in Doubles you have shitloads of speed ties (Kanga v Kanga, Aero v Jolt/ other Aero), flinches (rockslides everywhere) and other RNG-based functions, we could put randoms instead of NU as well, would be similar~

[spoiler]semi srs

[spoiler]but pls include randoms[/spoiler][/spoiler]

There's also new NU council that is doing it's job really well, I don't see any reason to throw away their efforts of making NU more playable. All that we need is more official and unofficial NU tournaments to popularize the tier* and show people that it is enjoyable and it's worth playing.

[spoiler]*- take it Senile[/spoiler]

stuff

One word: Variety. 

[spoiler] Ok that sounds silly coming from me, but aside from OU and UU, there really isn't a legit third tier. Not discrediting the NU council, but NU in general is fairly luck based. The best players in the tier complain about this and honestly it really comes down to who has the best lead and/or who can predict kill one of the few walls first. It's a tough tier, but mostly because one misplay, or one lucky prediction by your opponent, can easily cost you the match. Doubles is similar, but that's what doubles is supposed to be. Highly aggressive. With the new update came a lot of goodies for doubles, so why not use them? I think it would be beneficial to let it happen. Also, I haven't seen many bugs in doubles. The duels in the Trainer Tower have provided me with some decent insight into functionality. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] Ok that sounds silly coming from me, but aside from OU and UU, there really isn't a legit third tier. Not discrediting the NU council, but NU in general is fairly luck based. The best players in the tier complain about this and honestly it really comes down to who has the best lead and/or who can predict kill one of the few walls first. It's a tough tier, but mostly because one misplay, or one lucky prediction by your opponent, can easily cost you the match. Doubles is similar, but that's what doubles is supposed to be. Highly aggressive. With the new update came a lot of goodies for doubles, so why not use them? I think it would be beneficial to let it happen. Also, I haven't seen many bugs in doubles. The duels in the Trainer Tower have provided me with some decent insight into functionality. [/spoiler]

I'm gonna go ahead and say it's just wrong to say NU and Doubles aren't legit "tiers". Just because the meta in those happens to be different than what we're used to in this game for being highly aggressive doesn't make them less of a tier. I don't quite agree that only NU is all about one misplay and lost match. First of all, I don't think that statement is true and second I don't think this is any different than in other tiers unless both are running full wall teams. (In NU there just isn't even enough viable walls to pull that off). Either way, by my concept of competitive play high risks aren't necessarily a bad thing anyways. I do agree that it's quite sad NU and Doubles are a bit more "luck based" because of the numerous game deciding speed ties, especially in NU (LF Hoenn).

This all being said as a NU player I personally would like to see NU being in the team tournament - although I don't wanna see Doubles be kept out of it. I understand it's a whole different world of PvP playing and I'm not saying it's any inferior to any tier of singles. To truly find out of the best team of this game I think all of the existing tiers should be represented, therefor suggesting the 5v5 format but like I said I understand the problems with that.

Edited by OrangeManiac

doubles have bugs atm and aslong as the tier has these bugs i just think we should keep only NU and the 3rd spot...  but if they update soon and fix these bugs in the update would like to see this happen

Edited by XelaKebert
No Page King in Suggestion Box